Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did we miss out on a diamond in the rough?

95 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

We missed out on Josh Gordon. We missed out on Lavon Brazil. We missed out on Vontaz Burfict. We missed out on Alfonzo Dennard. We could do this all day.

The team that actually did draft Gordon (supplemental draft, by the way; not the regular one) is likely to be 'missing out on him' for at least a year and most likely more.

I honestly wouldn't cite that as being a huge mistake.

Posted · Report post

As to the topic, extremely too early to know anything like that.

Posted · Report post

The team that actually did draft Gordon (supplemental draft, by the way; not the regular one) is likely to be 'missing out on him' for at least a year and most likely more.

I honestly wouldn't cite that as being a huge mistake.

Yeah that was kind of my point. Lavon Brazil is in trouble again too.

Posted · Report post

I listen to the Bills radio show on my way home from work just to get a football fix until the season starts. They open up training camp tomorrow and they were going over what to look for. One thing that came up was that rookie tackle and 7th round pick Seantrel Henderson is going to open camp as the 1st team LT. Granted Henderson was a first round talent and fell due to off the field issues, but it makes me wonder if we missed out on a chance to pick up a real steal at the end of the draft.

Side note, Cyrus Kouandjio is opening as their starting RT.. he was another one guys here wanted

We did't "miss out" as much as we decided that his possible contribution was out weighed by 3 pot suspensions in college.

Posted · Report post

i imagine there was probably a discussion on another teams forum a few years ago that maybe they missed out on a diamond in the rough when they saw that someone we scored as a udfa was going to be starting at RT for us. 

ok....now read that with a straight face.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Hurst for Pro Bowl!!

Posted · Report post

Yeah that was kind of my point. Lavon Brazil is in trouble again too.

My fault. Didn't connect the dots.

Henderson fits into that group well. Doubt anyone screwed themselves out of draft position (and millions of dollars) with sheer stupidity more than Henderson this past offseason. He comes off as more of a dumbass than diamond.

Posted · Report post

Does the fact that a 7th round pick may start for the Bills say more about the talent of the 7th round pick or the lack of talent on the Bills? This team hasn't sniffed the playoffs since the 90's

Posted · Report post

Does the fact that a 7th round pick may start for the Bills say more about the talent of the 7th round pick or the lack of talent on the Bills? This team hasn't sniffed the playoffs since the 90's

the sad thing is we will more than likely be going into the season with two udfas starting at both OT spots. does that say more about the talent of those individuals or the lack of talent on the roster?

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

My god please get here preseason
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

the sad thing is we will more than likely be going into the season with two udfas starting at both OT spots. does that say more about the talent of those individuals or the lack of talent on the roster?

Roster probably.

Posted · Report post

Ask me again after the season ends.

Posted · Report post

Other teams draft players to?

Well, there goes the neighborhood.

Posted · Report post

We will always miss out on the diamond in the ruff guys because of our franchise mentality to take risk on troubled players. Everyone knew Henderson was a troubled young man but was the number one player in the country coming out of high school. This good ole boy mentality isn't what wins championships. People make mistakes they grow up. Til we learn that we will continue to miss on late round gems.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Bruh....

It's all about the mother fuggin []__[]

Posted · Report post

maybe.....just like every team in the league does.

Exactly. Any team could play the 'we could've had player x at spot y' game. People's expectations of the draft aren't even realistic anymore -- it's like they expect franchise-defining drafts every year.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I wanted Seantrel

Sent from my SM-G900T using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted · Report post

You know who we didn't miss out on?

Cam fucking Newton
Luke fucking Kuechly
Star fucking Lotululei
Kelvin fucking Benjamin

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CarolinaHuddle mobile app
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

We took Pilares over Richard Sherman.

Sent from my SM-N900V using CarolinaHuddle mobile app
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

We took Pilares over Richard Sherman.

Sent from my SM-N900V using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

A lot of teams took a lot of players over Sherman. Happens every year to every team.

Bet a lot if fans were saying the same thing about Greg Hardy not being drafted until the 6th round.

Posted · Report post

A lot of teams took a lot of players over Sherman. Happens every year to every team.

Bet a lot if fans were saying the same thing about Greg Hardy not being drafted until the 6th round.

yeah you can do this kind of stuff all day.

sherman's selection in 2011 is what made that draft what it is in the popular consciousness.  that and malcom smith with the 242nd pick.  the rest of that draft (including the four players selected before sherman) was good if nothing spectacular.  i mean if you want to play that game seattle drafted james carpenter when justin houston and jordan cameron were still on the board.

of course i'm not disputing that our 2011 draft blew outside of cam though because it absolutey did

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

This could be a huge thing for us.  First, we steal Kiko Alonso last year in the second and scoop up Robert Woods.  Then we get this guy.  Still we have some good depth at OL, finally.  Urbik, Pears, and Cyril Richardson.

I listen to the Bills radio show on my way home from work just to get a football fix until the season starts. They open up training camp tomorrow and they were going over what to look for. One thing that came up was that rookie tackle and 7th round pick Seantrel Henderson is going to open camp as the 1st team LT. Granted Henderson was a first round talent and fell due to off the field issues, but it makes me wonder if we missed out on a chance to pick up a real steal at the end of the draft.

Side note, Cyrus Kouandjio is opening as their starting RT.. he was another one guys here wanted

Kouandjio will start at RT for now, Seantrell Henderson will be starting at LT.  A 7th round pick once atop the rankings coming out of HS.

IIRC between Kouandjio and and Henderson we have two #1 ranked prospects coming in to college.  One one year, the other the next.

I thought Cordy Glenn was their LT?

He is.

Cordy Glenn is injured and I don't know much about their line depth.

Edit: My mistake he has an illness.

Glenn is out with an illness.

Posted · Report post

we have Cordy Glenn as our starter @LT and Kouandjio and Erik Pears in the mix for the RT.  It's training camp, worrying about who's starting at LT in training camp when the true starter is PUP'd  doesn't matter for much.

Seantrell Henderson was extremely talented at one point, a highly touted player that just never really got his head on straight.  He has a lot of potential and maybe this push will make a difference.  Playing with the 1's could show him that he is worth a little bit of something to get his head on straight.

BTW, I did some looking back on the Bills thread, everyone here can thank you for me coming over.  I'd read the board a while, lurking, but it wasn't until you posted on TwoBillsDrive that I said what the heck and joined.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Just because he's starting camp as the #1 doesn't mean he will be #1 when the season starts... by the way, every team in the league misses out on "diamonds in the rough".

Posted · Report post

Just because he's starting camp as the #1 doesn't mean he will be #1 when the season starts... by the way, every team in the league misses out on "diamonds in the rough".

Yeah only one team can actually draft the player in question. It's not like 31 teams draft a Sherman or Hardy every year and the panthers don't. It's rare which is why it's a big deal in the first place.