Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Changes Everything!

36 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/23/union-wants-to-avoid-uncapped-year/[/url]

[QUOTE]Today, with the first uncapped year since 1993 only 10 days away, the NFLPA wants to press pause until March 2011. Executive Director De Smith discloses in a memo sent to all players and agents today that the union's most recent proposal to the NFL "contains an offer to continue the current capped system for an additional year which would allow the parties ample time to complete work on a long-term CBA."[/QUOTE]

Looks like the NFLPA is hearing from all of those unrestricked/restricted free agrents and their agents. This could have had a lot to do with Peppers not getting tagged. Wow, how quickly things do change!
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

It's sort of funny how everyone was "pretty sure" there would be no cap.

Posted · Report post

so there is no uncapped year this year?

Posted · Report post

Not yet.

Posted · Report post

Hopefully things work out. No NFL in 2011 would suck so bad

Posted · Report post

Me lol.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Dockery']It's sort of funny how everyone was "pretty sure" there would be no cap.[/QUOTE]that's still the safest assumption.

Posted · Report post

Reset the clock for another year. Brings up alot of possible contract extensions this year including maybe Fox.

Posted · Report post

Makes a lot of RFA's UFA's too. On our team and others.

Man it gets interesting if that happens.

Posted · Report post

The NFL owners will likely reject it. They don't want a cap (floor) and will use the opportunity to unload big contracts with no cap consequence and sign a lot of guys to RFA tenders for 1 year so they aren't obligated to pay them in 2011 if there is a lockout.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rayzor']that's still the safest assumption.[/QUOTE]

It may be. I just have never imagined it would go uncapped since I first learned it was a possibility. I felt there would be a cap way before this came out. I might be proven wrong, but it likely won't mean much for the Panthers (maybe?).

Posted · Report post

Doesn't make the FO seem so stupid, now does it?

Posted · Report post

damn alot of rfas becomes ufas.....including ronnie brown (noooooooooooo!!!!!!)

Posted · Report post

[quote name='panthers55']The NFL owners will likely reject it. [/QUOTE]

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][B]Heard that opinion today on Sirius too. They said one of the reasons is that the players would stop negotiations for a year....since they had taken care of things for this year.[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted · Report post

sooooo.................who's the bad guys and who's the good guys now????? i really don't know who to believe or who to side with

Posted · Report post

[quote name='ladypanther'][FONT=Arial][COLOR=deepskyblue][B]Heard that opinion today on Sirius too. They said one of the reasons is that the players would stop negotiations for a year....since they had taken care of things for this year.[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Good point.

The owners are going to do everything they can to try and get back money they felt they gave away. As the uncapped year has played out the owners realize they have the upper hand and the bonanza the players thought they would get hasn't materialized. They are not going to concede anything to the players and will do what they can to pressure them as much as possible. This won't be settled easily and I expect things to get much uglier before it get resolved. I expect this will continue into the summer next year with players being locked out of training camp unless they give in which I doubt they will.

Posted · Report post

What these players do not understand is that they are NOT partners in these franchises. They are EMPLOYEES.

The owners have all of the risk...have to put up all of the capital...and the players believe they have a right to demand a certain % of the earnings. How many of you work for a company where you have the right to demand that a certain % of revenue be paid to you.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='MadHatter']What these players do not understand is that they are NOT partners in these franchises. They are EMPLOYEES.

The owners have all of the risk...have to put up all of the capital...and the players believe they have a right to demand a certain % of the earnings. How many of you work for a company where you have the right to demand that a certain % of revenue be paid to you.[/QUOTE]

This is what I have never understood about the NFLPA. Recently they were getting 60% of the revenue. That's over half. So all the risk the owners put in and they get to keep 40% of the generated revenue to ensure their stadium and all the people working for it are covered financially. Not to mention the training facilities and equipment they provide for the players. It's sad that there are one or two teams that just ooze money, as it makes the players think that most teams are like that, however those teams are the exceptions.

It seems the NFLPA do not want you to run a business, rather they want the majority of whatever you take regardless of the ramifications. Seems a little short-sighted.

Posted · Report post

Owners will reject for sure. This will be viewed as a sign of weakness on the part of the NFLPA.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='MadHatter']. How many of you work for a company where you have the right to demand that a certain % of revenue be paid to you.[/QUOTE]

well if the business couldnt operate unless they specifically needed me? Then I think I would have some leverage.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='MadHatter']What these players do not understand is that they are NOT partners in these franchises. They are EMPLOYEES.

The owners have all of the risk...have to put up all of the capital...and the players believe they have a right to demand a certain % of the earnings. How many of you work for a company where you have the right to demand that a certain % of revenue be paid to you.[/QUOTE]

I don't work for a legalized monopoly that's able to fix wages.

Posted · Report post

I hear rumblings that the players could go on a mini strike through training camp. Many of the RFA wouldn't have to sign their tenders until then anyway.

Look for the owners to use this offer to try and get a new CBA in place by March 5.

Posted · Report post

I hear rumblings that the players could mini strike through training camp. RFA don't have to sign their tenders until then any how. The owners might reject this offer but then use it to get the upper hand in getting a new owner friendly CBA in place by March 5.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Delhommey']I don't work for a legalized monopoly that's able to fix wages.[/QUOTE]

The players chose to work for those entities...no one is requiring them to do so.

And, don't think that anyone feels sorry for players making millions to play a game. You make it sound liek the owners run a sweat shop where they are paid ridiculously low wages.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='MadHatter']The players chose to work for those entities...no one is requiring them to do so.

And, don't think that anyone feels sorry for players making millions to play a game. You make it sound liek the owners run a sweat shop where they are paid ridiculously low wages.[/QUOTE]

You've see the shape that some former nfl players are in right? Brain damaged, battered, some can barely walk, some can't remember what they ate for breakfast. Trust me, the life of an nfl player is not an easy one.