Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hunter Cantwell: 1 day as backup QB?

65 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Read that Clausen took ALL snaps today with second team.

Wow.

Posted · Report post

[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e84/raiz_world/Funny%20pictures/sad.jpg[/IMG]

Posted · Report post

I think it is more surprising that Cantwell was the backup even for a day. Didn't we all expect the team to start grooming Clausen for the future, whether that be as a starter or backing up Moore?

Posted · Report post

Clasuen has a nice thrown ball, but he's still hesitating right now...at least from what I saw today.

Posted · Report post

see, everyone was getting all worked up during the offseason. you have to wait people. things don't happen in the offseason, they happen in training camp and preseason.

there is still chance clausen could be starting by week 1. we won't know of course, until we wait and see what training camp and preseason brings.

do be so impatient. good things come to those who wait.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='ncbobcat']Clasuen has a nice thrown ball, but he's still hesitating right now...at least from what I saw today.[/QUOTE]

this is all because of Weis. he had 1) a pick problem, and 2) a dancing problem his second year at ND. Weis got him into the habit of protecting the football to the point where he sometimes gets too conservative. it showed last year with only 4 pics all season compared to like 20 his second year. bad for practice, but there is something to be said about being extra careful with the football until your timing is right.

Posted · Report post

My guess is that Clausen will start the 2010 season as the Panthers #2 QB unless he totally bombs out in training camp and preseason.Something i can't see happening.

Posted · Report post

So...do we even know that this is a permanent thing yet, or just a part of the normal plan to get all of the back up QB's some reps with the 2nd team?
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='monstercat']So...do we even know that this is a permanent thing yet, or just a part of the normal plan to get all of the back up QB's some reps with the 2nd team?[/QUOTE]

I am thinking they are just giving Clausen and Cantwell both reps with the 1st team just to try them out and experiment a little.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Is it really a big surprise that Clausen is starting to get the 2nd team reps?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='carpanfan96']Is it really a big surprise that Clausen is starting to get the 2nd team reps?[/QUOTE]

It is to a lot of people that took the recent articles praising Cantwell for a little more than what they were.

Posted · Report post

I'm guessing during contract negotiations that Clausen was promised the 2nd team cause that's the only way I see him beating out Hunter "make you my bitch" Cantwell.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Beaux Berry']It is to a lot of people that took the recent articles praising Cantwell for a little more than what they were.[/QUOTE]

No it's not. Everybody should have expected both of them to get plenty of 2nd team reps. I wouldn't even be surprised if Pike gets some 2nd team reps, once he catches up with the rest of the QB's.

As far as I'm concerned, we won't know for sure who the 2nd string QB is until Fox tells us who it is.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='monstercat']No it's not. Everybody should have expected both of them to get plenty of 2nd team reps. I wouldn't even be surprised if Pike gets some 2nd team reps, once he catches up with the rest of the QB's.

As far as I'm concerned, we won't know for sure who the 2nd string QB is until Fox tells us who it is.[/QUOTE]

And this is why this thread never even needed to be made.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='DickolausJ']And this is why this thread never even needed to be made.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, as mentioned there were a number of posts (like, more than just a few) praising Hunter Cantwell as the backup, asserting that Clausen would be very lucky to beat him out for that role. Well, the intel I read was that yesterday there was zero sharing of reps. It was 100% Clausen, 0% Cantwell with the second team. Today things could be totally different... but that caught me by surprise. Worth the post.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Jpjr']Sorry, as mentioned there were a number of posts (like, more than just a few) praising Hunter Cantwell as the backup, asserting that Clausen would be very lucky to beat him out for that role. Well, the intel I read was that yesterday there was zero sharing of reps. It was 100% Clausen, 0% Cantwell with the second team. Today things could be totally different... but that caught me by surprise. Worth the post.[/QUOTE]

It could simply mean that Clausen is a bit raw and needs more practice to get things down compared to Cantwell who has been in the system for a year. Jake was the third rated quarterback all of preseason in 2003 but had better game performances than Weinke. When Peete struggled it was Jake who went in. At this point it means little to nothing. Fox has always factored in game play the most so how they play during the games will be the most telling. Practice reps don't mean squat at this point.

Posted · Report post

Speaking for JC:

Cantwell down! One Moore to go.:D
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Jpjr']this is all because of Weis. he had 1) a pick problem, and 2) a dancing problem his second year at ND. Weis got him into the habit of protecting the football to the point where he sometimes gets too conservative. it showed last year with only 4 pics all season compared to like 20 his second year. bad for practice, but there is something to be said about being extra careful with the football until your timing is right.[/QUOTE]

Clausen has never had an INT problem, hes not a gunslinger like the Old Man or Cutler. Clausen had 17 Ints his 2nd year, mostly due to lack of talent and having to do too much.

Posted · Report post

i can't wait to see what jimmy can do with the starters. all reports have said that the rookies have been strugling, if it werent for them needing reps with matt moore, i would hope that they would let him throw to the 1's for a few days.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='chris999']i can't wait to see what jimmy can do with the starters. all reports have said that the rookies have been strugling, if it werent for them needing reps with matt moore, i would hope that they would let him throw to the 1's for a few days.[/QUOTE]

I have been to the last 3 practices. In this regard: 1. Cantwell is clearly getting the majority of the #2 snaps. 2. Cantwell is closer to Moore, than Clausen is to Cantwell.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Cantwell was # 2 only as a procedural formality.

Posted · Report post

I don't think there's a chance of Clausen starting week 1. There's a chance of Clausen starting week 8 if we are 2-5

Posted · Report post

[quote name='RoachKiller']Clausen has never had an INT problem, hes not a gunslinger like the Old Man or Cutler. Clausen had 17 Ints his 2nd year, mostly due to lack of talent and having to do too much.[/QUOTE]

As a ND alum who watched every game Clausen played allow me to say this. The reason why he threw 17ints in his So season was a combination of youth and pressure.

Youth in decision making. What I mean by that is he hadn't yet learned the essential fact that for a QB sometimes throwing the ball away, when a play isn't there, is a good decision. He thought he always had to make a play which led to him forcing the ball and creating interceptions. The UNC game in his So year is a prime example. After halftime ND had the lead, the ball at the start of the 3rd quarter, momemtum and IMO UNC was reeling one more score and the game would have been over.

1st play of the 3rd quarter Clausen forced the ball into a void and UNC got a pick 6 out of it. Instant momemtum changer and that allowed UNC to go on and win the game.

As a Jr. Clausen improved his decision making 100%. Of his 4 interceptions as a Jr three bounced off the hands of his WR's. Maturity had set in and he finally figured out what Weis had been telling him, that if the play isn't there don't force the ball. Just get rid of the it and don't hurt the team with a poor decision.

Secondly, our OL during Clausen's 3 years at ND was perhaps the worst in ND history. Clausen got sacked 58 times as a true freshman and he essentially ran for his life during his 3 years. That pressure didn't help his decision making in his So year.