Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MM deep throws

78 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Was it just me or did Moore float that INT? I can't remember the exact yardage but it couldn't have been much longer than a 40 yard pass and he lobbed that ball up in the air. Accuracy was great as far as the pass being just in front of the receiver and on the sideline, but the air time allowed the safety to waltz over and grab it. Same thing on that hail mary at the end of 1st half. We had the ball at the 48 yard line and he threw it as high as a punter would kick it. All he needed to do was throw a normal pass like 2 seconds sooner and we would have had a better chance at at least completing a pass.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='smash_n_dash']Was it just me or did Moore float that INT? I can't remember the exact yardage but it couldn't have been much longer than a 40 yard pass and he lobbed that ball up in the air. Accuracy was great as far as the pass being just in front of the receiver and on the sideline, but the air time allowed the safety to waltz over and grab it. Same thing on that hail mary at the end of 1st half. We had the ball at the 48 yard line and he threw it as high as a punter would kick it. All he needed to do was throw a normal pass like 2 seconds sooner and we would have had a better chance at at least completing a pass.[/QUOTE]

To be fair LaFell could have gone up and fought for the ball instead of just watching Leonard intercept it....

Posted · Report post

[QUOTE='C42[)14C C47;2622547']To be fair LaFell could have gone up and fought for the ball instead of just watching Leonard intercept it....[/QUOTE]

I thought it was an excellent pass at that range and that it was more on the receiver to get under it.

Posted · Report post

I was in the corner of the endzone and it looked like LaFell gave up on the play a split second too early. If he had followed the ball through then that would have been a much more difficult INT. As hard as LaFell can hit it probably wouldn't have been one.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Dockery']I thought it was an excellent pass at that range and that it was more on the receiver to get under it.[/QUOTE]

Yea at least go up and become the DB in that situation. LaFell could have easily batted the ball out of play there. As they say though, hindsight is 20-20.....

Posted · Report post

[QUOTE='C42[)14C C47;2622552']Yea at least go up and become the DB in that situation. LaFell could have easily batted the ball out of play there. As they say though, hindsight is 20-20.....[/QUOTE]

I don't think it was a matter of hindsight. It's never ok to give up on the play. He shouldn't have needed advanced knowledge of the future to know to do that.

Posted · Report post

I agree that the ball probably did float a little, but was really more pissed that LaFell just watched the interception happen instead of at least trying to stop it....smh

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Jangler']I agree that the ball probably did float a little, but was really more pissed that LaFell just watched the interception happen instead of at least trying to stop it....smh[/QUOTE]

Hell, I thought he had a chance of [i]catching[/i] it. If you want to be lined up across from Smitty you have to start making plays like him.

Posted · Report post

I hope he throws that ball the exact same way during the season. Because Smitty would have caught it.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

He also had a beauty of a pass to Kenny Moore, but the defense on that play was spectacular.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CAVSS']I hope he throws that ball the exact same way during the season. Because Smitty would have caught it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my point. ;)

Posted · Report post

Speaking of K. Moore, he had a nice grab that was called back because of *ding ding ding* a false start penalty on King

Posted · Report post

[quote name='smash_n_dash']Speaking of K. Moore, he had a nice grab that was called back because of *ding ding ding* a false start penalty on King[/QUOTE]

I didn't even see that one as it happened. I wanted to call :icon_bs:.

Posted · Report post

I thought that was an illegal formation penalty?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='neverlosethefeeling']I thought that was an illegal formation penalty?[/QUOTE]

purty sure it was. Can't remember who. That's the second time Moore has made a 2nd effort catch like that.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='neverlosethefeeling']I thought that was an illegal formation penalty?[/QUOTE]

You're right; it was on Petitti for illegal formation.

Posted · Report post

Ahh, must have been thinking of another play. Either way, false starts and illegal formation penalties should not happen.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='smash_n_dash']Ahh, must have been thinking of another play. Either way, false starts and illegal formation penalties should not happen.[/QUOTE]

Especially illegal formation. I can handle a few false starts and holds, but illegal formation and something like offensive pass interface, inelligible downfield, etc. shouldn't happen.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Dockery']Especially illegal formation. I can handle a few false starts and holds, but illegal formation and something like offensive pass interface, inelligible downfield, etc. shouldn't happen.[/QUOTE]

calling an offensively lineman for ineligible down field on a play where Clausen threw the ball away was a head scratcher.

Posted · Report post

I thought the officials called the game a little "off" if you will but whatever. I'll spare you all my HBO conspiracy theories. lol

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CAVSS']I thought the officials called the game a little "off" if you will but whatever. I'll spare you all my HBO conspiracy theories. lol[/QUOTE]

Well, that one fumble recovery where the guy was on someones back (was that Beason?) was probably not a fumble (pretty sure he had already landed then it was stripped), but the cameras couldn't even see the ball, so I think we got lucky on that one.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Dockery']Well, that one fumble recovery where the guy was on someones back (was that Beason?) was probably not a fumble (pretty sure he had already landed then it was stripped), but the cameras couldn't even see the ball, so I think we got lucky on that one.[/QUOTE]

Judging by the reaction time of the Jets players I think they called the fumble wrong too. They didn't react until they guy was down. But you couldn't see anything so it held up.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='SorthNarolina']Judging by the reaction time of the Jets players I think they called the fumble wrong too. They didn't react until they guy was down. But you couldn't see anything so it held up.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

But, it doesn't matter if he was down or not. They called it a fumble, so it was a fumble. [color=white]89.[/color] Bottom line.

Posted · Report post

A lot of people think preseason is unnecessary in almost every aspect of the game, but the truth is that situations like this one are exactly why the quality of football improves when the games start to count.

In the regular season, those false starts and illegal formations will be at a minimum. In the regular season, by the time we get there, LaFell or "LaFall", as he was called all night, will have seen that play enough to make him sick and will know what to do next time he gets a jump ball. Same for the muffed punts.

Matt Moore has no business throwing a ball that long anyways, IMO. He just doesn't have the arm for it. Watching Clausen throw after watching Moore throw is like comparing a pea shooter to a shotgun. Not saying that makes him a better QB, but let Clausen take those snaps in a heave ho situation. Or even Cantwell, who beats them all in distance and velocity.