Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panthers have the least cap space?

40 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Per Adam Schefter:

On the eve of free agency, some teams are positioned too well, and others not so well. Based on numbers gathered Thursday — and these are fluid, changing with each roster move that each team makes — here are the teams with the most and least salary-cap room heading into the start of free agency.

MOST
Tampa Bay — $61 million
Kansas City — $57 million
Philadelphia — $48 million
Denver — $37 million
Green Bay — $34 million

LEAST
Carolina — $1.9 million
New England — $3.2 million
Indianapolis — $6.6 million
Pittsburgh — $7.4 million
Washington — $8.1 million

[url]http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/26/tampa-bay-working-with-most-salary-cap-space/[/url]

Can anyone validate this? I've seen a few people provide estimates here in the last few days - carpanfan and others.

Posted · Report post

I am wondering if he has factored the moves that we have recently made. Its not like we are looking to sign anyone anyways. Not worried...

Posted · Report post

I think this does include all recent moves. IMO, being under the cap is all that matters. Now that the team is in a position that they can keep the tag on Peppers and not have to release him, offers will start to come in. I would not be surprised if Peppers is traded to Denver or Houston by Monday and the Panthers have close to 20 million to spend in FA.

Posted · Report post

Not a big deal, It probably doesn't include the last two restructures. Which would put us around 5.5 which is pretty close to the my estimate of seven. There's also the chance that we still cut lucas as well.

Posted · Report post

The problem with his blog is it isn't time dated just date dated, there's also no way of knowing when he gathered the information.

Posted · Report post

Assumming that the 1.9 million is up to date and current that would have left the Panthers $2.1 million over the cap IF it wasn't increased by 4 million yesturday. Wonder what other moves/cuts were coming if that increase didn't happen?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='mountainpantherfan']Assumming that the 1.9 million is up to date and current that would have left the Panthers $2.1 million over the cap IF it wasn't increased by 4 million yesturday. Wonder what other moves/cuts were coming if that increase didn't happen?[/quote]

That's why I'm iffy on it being up to date. Hurney said before they updated the cap that the wasn't planning on cutting anyone else. He probably knew about it ahead of time though.

Posted · Report post

Really why do we need a lot of cap space if we keep Peppers? Not really much in the FA pool and we dont have a 1st round pick. With the cutting of Lucas and more then likely restructure of Delhomme and maybe even Smith we will have just enough to sign our Picks.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='carpanfan96']Not a big deal, It probably doesn't include the last two restructures. Which would put us around 5.5 which is pretty close to the my estimate of seven. There's also the chance that we still cut lucas as well.[/quote]

Well the Gamble restructure saved the team 8million right?

So we should be in the teens by the time every move is made.

Posted · Report post

seems like he's including pep in the numbers.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='hdevonxz']Well the Gamble restructure saved the team 8million right?

So we should be in the teens by the time every move is made.[/quote]

The 1.9 would have included the Gamble restructure as it happened/reported earlier this week.

And for the record, Delhomme's contract can not be restructured. The only way the Panthers can save cap room with Delhomme is to cut him or extend his contract.

Posted · Report post

Right now were just under 8 million under the cap.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='mountainpantherfan']I think this does include all recent moves. IMO, being under the cap is all that matters. Now that the team is in a position that they can keep the tag on Peppers and not have to release him, offers will start to come in. I would not be surprised if Peppers is traded to Denver or Houston by Monday and the Panthers have close to 20 million to spend in FA.[/quote]

True. But that $20 M won't be very useful if we don't move him in the very early days of FA.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='jasonluckydog']Right now were just under 8 million under the cap.[/quote]

Can you elaborate? You may be right, but without some details I'm not inclined to believe jasonluckydog over Adam Schefter.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Montsta']True. But that $20 M won't be very useful if we don't move him in the very early days of FA.[/quote]

Why not? I think you have until a certain date to be under the cap.

So in truth we could sign a lot for a lot, as long as we're under the cap by the date specified.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='hdevonxz']Why not? I think you have until a certain date to be under the cap.

So in truth we could sign a lot for a lot, as long as we're under the cap by the date specified.[/quote]

that is incorrect....the league would not approve the contract if you are over the cap when you offer and sign it.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='mr beauxjangles']Can you elaborate? You may be right, but without some details I'm not inclined to believe jasonluckydog over Adam Schefter.[/quote]

At first I agreed with you that there is no way we are 8 million under. But I think it may be even more than that.

First reports had us entering the offseason at 10 million under the cap. The cap has since been increased by 4 million giving the team 14 million under.

They have signed 4 players to contracts; Peppers, Gross, King and Anderson. Those contracts total 19.338 million.

They have made several moves including cuts, restructures and extensions. Those moves I have totaling 15.540 million in cap savings. Here's a quick run down of those moves: Goings .75, Bridges 1.25, Hackett 1.04, Lewis 2.00, Johnson 1.00, Kemo 1.50 and Gamble 8.00.

So 14.000 - 19.338 + 15.540 = [B]10.202 million in cap space[/B]. My guess is that Schefter hasn't included that 8 million move with Gambles contract.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='mountainpantherfan']At first I agreed with you that there is no way we are 8 million under. But I think it may be even more than that.

First reports had us entering the offseason at 10 million under the cap. The cap has since been increased by 4 million giving the team 14 million under.

They have signed 4 players to contracts; Peppers, Gross, King and Anderson. Those contracts total 19.338 million.

They have made several moves including cuts, restructures and extensions. Those moves I have totaling 15.540 million in cap savings. Here's a quick run down of those moves: Goings .75, Bridges 1.25, Hackett 1.04, Lewis 2.00, Johnson 1.00, Kemo 1.50 and Gamble 8.00.

So 14.000 - 19.338 + 15.540 = [B]10.202 million in cap space[/B]. My guess is that Schefter hasn't included that 8 million move with Gambles contract.[/quote]

Good stuff. Thanks.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='mountainpantherfan']At first I agreed with you that there is no way we are 8 million under. But I think it may be even more than that.

They have signed 4 players to contracts; [B][U]Peppers, Gross, King and Anderson. Those contracts total 19.338 million.[/U][/B]

So 14.000 - 19.338 + 15.540 = [B]10.202 million in cap space[/B]. My guess is that Schefter hasn't included that 8 million move with Gambles contract.[/quote]

How could that be right when Pep alone is making $16 mil and Gross' contract pays $30 mil the first three years.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='jramsey4']How could that be right when Pep alone is making $16 mil and Gross' contract pays $30 mil the first three years.[/quote]

You are correct sir. That should be 29.338 million. So that means my math was way off. So that would only leave the Panthers with .202 million in cap space. So Schefter is probably right on with his total of 1.9 million.

Damn, I glad you caught my mistake but at the same time 1.9 million isn't that much at all.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='hdevonxz']Why not? I think you have until a certain date to be under the cap.

So in truth we could sign a lot for a lot, as long as we're under the cap by the date specified.[/quote]

The point I was trying to make is that all the big free agents will be gone in the first few days, so if we trade Pep too late, it won't matter if we have $5 Million, or $20, there will be no one to spend that much on.

Posted · Report post

we have about 5 milll or so. Peppers I think will be traded and so will lucas if he isn't flat out cut.

Posted · Report post

I think it's funny that the skins have the 5th least cap space and are coming off an 8-8 season w/ no playoff appearance.... that tells you all you need to know about the skins.

Yeah, go ahead and sign Hanyesworth - great idea.

Posted · Report post

[quote]The point I was trying to make is that all the big free agents will be gone in the first few days, so if we trade Pep too late, it won't matter if we have $5 Million, or $20, there will be no one to spend that much on. [/quote]

why do we need to sign a "big name player"? I think that it would be pretty freaking retarded for this team to sign a big name FA with that 20 mil. Who out there is really worth a fat ass contract?

I guarantee you that every team that signs a big name FA is going to overpay, massively. Unless you get Haynesworth at 4 mil a year.

I would rather use that money to extend D-will, Beason, and Davis. Instead of dropping it on an overpriced lard ass who may or may not be motivated to help you win now that he has a 12mil/yr contract.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='House']why do we need to sign a "big name player"? I think that it would be pretty freaking retarded for this team to sign a big name FA with that 20 mil. Who out there is really worth a fat ass contract?

I guarantee you that every team that signs a big name FA is going to overpay, massively. Unless you get Haynesworth at 4 mil a year.

I would rather use that money to extend D-will, Beason, and Davis. Instead of dropping it on an overpriced lard ass who may or may not be motivated to help you win now that he has a 12mil/yr contract.[/quote]

If Peppers and Lucas are gone, you had better be sure we spend that $20 Million on someone for our defense. Our offense getting us 30 points a game means nothing with our D giving up 35, and that was with those two. Everyone wants Lucas gone, but whose gonna step up in his place? I for one think he looked worse than he is because of our lack of pressure up front. If you think for a second that Brayton or Johnson or Taylor is fine to replace Pep, or Marshall or Wilson is fine to replace Lucas, you are out of your mind. Don't get me wrong, I see the potential in Johnson and Marshall, but opening day starters, I sincerely hope not.