Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An NFL Insider Speaks About Carolina and Richardson

45 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[QUOTE]The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity:

• "The Panthers came out of the gate firing (in free agency). The one thing about Jerry Richardson — he was the right man to head up the labor committee. He treats his people right. When a lot of teams were making cuts in salary, laying off employees and cutting pension plans, he stood by his people. He's a very loyal owner. ... I don't understand why they paid DeAngelo Williams the way they did. They didn't have to, in my opinion. No running backs are getting paid. It's why Chris Johnson and Frank Gore are so upset. But the Panthers like to reward their own, and they are giving Cam Newton every chance to be successful. Williams will make his job a lot easier. So will (former Bears TE Greg) Olsen. Kudos to (GM) Marty (Hurney) for that (trade). They are stocked and reloaded. I'm glad we're not facing the NFC South this year."[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/08/02/insider-richardson-treats-his-panthers-well[/url]

As this is a positive report, I fully expect everyone to high five this thread and sarcastically point out how FINALLY this guy GETS IT.
6 people like this

Posted · Report post

I've been saying this... But now that someone with credentials has said it... Everybody should jump on board!

I did learn quite a few interesting tidbits though. GREAT read!

Pi and swag for the dig

Posted · Report post

[IMG]http://rickshawdumplings.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/ballmer-highfive1.jpg[/IMG]

Posted · Report post

[quote name='TruCatzFan']I've been saying this... But now that someone with credentials has said it... Everybody should jump on board!

I did learn quite a few interesting tidbits though. GREAT read![/QUOTE]

They're better, but not super bowl caliber brah. They're a couple of years away from real contention. I'd say around 2. If they can add 2 more pieces to the puzzle, I'd drink your cool-aid. Mainly at CB.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Agreed Ivan. I already stated that my SB talk was outta excitement and not genuine... I think next year they will really contend.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='SouthCakPanther'][IMG]http://rickshawdumplings.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/ballmer-highfive1.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://vinofreakism.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Internet-High-Five.jpg[/IMG]
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I've been saying it... idk why people can't figure it out. JR paid DWill as much, if not more, for who he is as a person than who he is as a player.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Accurate description.

Posted · Report post

Neat little tidbit about Olsen in there too.

Yeah. I said "neat."

Posted · Report post

[quote name='nc_biscuit']I've been saying it... idk why people can't figure it out. JR paid DWill as much, if not more, for who he is as a person than who he is as a player.[/QUOTE]

It's the same reason girls with big tits earn more in the business world.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

i can't disagree with him there.

i really liked this part of the article.
[QUOTE]• "[B]Greg Olsen[/B] is [B]Jay Cutler[/B]'s best friend. He was a respected, locker-room leader and model citizen — he did everything right. His absence is going to hurt the Bears in two places — one, the red zone. Olsen played like a receiver down the field. Two, morale will suffer. Guys like him glue the locker room. You know what this reminded me of — it's déjà vu with [B]Chris Harris[/B] a few years ago. The Bears underestimated what he meant to the defense emotionally. [/QUOTE]i like what we got here in olsen.

Posted · Report post

lol someone just read my thread

Posted · Report post

re: williams. we could have done alright losing him, but the guy is great for the team. his attitude and personality is a lot like newton's in that it's very positive and infectious. he also puts forth a good example for the players around him. williams has a great work ethic. in know a lot of the credit for that work ethic goes to uncle vinny, but it stuck with him.

for a team trying to rebuild (debate whether they are or aren't in another thread), guys like him are incredibly important.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

wow you're great for our team here's a contract that's terrible for it

Posted · Report post

contract might have been a little excessive, but it wasn't "terrible" for it.

#notmymoneysoidontreallycare

Posted · Report post

Nice comment on us. Even if DWill falters over the next couple of years we have several others to take up the slack. With that DWill will still be here to give support and experience to these guys which speaks volumes. But don't expect any less from him. He has a lot more to give on and off the field.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

looks like its all rainbows and unicorns now after 2 years of calling Richardson every name in the book

Posted · Report post

Why don't you guys listen to TruCatzFan?
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I respect this guy. Not alot of people would stick it out there for a 2-14 team

Posted · Report post

[quote name='countryboi']looks like its all rainbows and unicorns now after 2 years of calling Richardson every name in the book[/QUOTE]

I just hope the unicorns arent gay - OUCH.

not that theres anything wrong with it

Posted · Report post

[quote name='pland67']Nice comment on us. Even if DWill falters over the next couple of years we have several others to take up the slack. With that DWill will still be here to give support and experience to these guys which speaks volumes. But don't expect any less from him. He has a lot more to give on and off the field.[/QUOTE]

At this point I'm ready to sit back, watch the games unfold and hopefully DeAngelo will keep contributing all season. Seems pretty likely the verdict on the contract will come after this year. I think there's still gas in the tank.

Also, the UFA signings, and extensions on existing contracts seem to be setting examples for future players. Performance rewarded. It's happened here before, even when there has been wide disagreement about the rational behind it.

I think we locked up great talent we could have lost.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='nc_biscuit']I've been saying it... idk why people can't figure it out. JR paid DWill as much, if not more, for who he is as a person than who he is as a player.[/QUOTE]

exactly right. Williams is a very good RB, but he got paid because he is such a good teammate, and you want you're core leaders to be happy and set an example. Given the circumstances, we couldn't have afforded to let him go anyway, because Cam is going to need all the help he can get.

I am happy with everything the FO has done so far(minus N Hayden...). There are a few more pieces I would like to see added, but it isn't over yet, still have preseason cuts coming up.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='TruCatzFan']I've been saying this... But now that someone with credentials has said it... Everybody should jump on board!

I did learn quite a few interesting tidbits though. GREAT read!

Pi and swag for the dig[/QUOTE]

No way, we are not a clear shot playoff team now. Heck, we aren't even a legitimate .500 team yet until we see if this new system will work in games.

P.s. The only team people are jumping on right now are the Eagles.

Posted · Report post

I have always thought that our team had a strong core of very good players. You cannot help but think that with Smitty, Beason, Williams, Stewart, Goodson, Kalil, Gross, Johnson, Otah, etc. in the lineup. I thought all that was missing was someone to give them heart and fire, and I think that was acquired when Coach Rivera and Cam joined the Panthers. Add in that we've shored up some glaring weaknesses (TE, DT), and most of our starters are healthy again, and I can't help but believe we will be a force to be reckoned with this season. We may not make the playoffs, but we will certainly not be the doormat of the league again.
1 person likes this