Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Remember The Panthers Will Be Moving To 3-4 Soon.

39 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[url="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8233e2d3/article/panthers-could-eventually-switch-to-34-defense"]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8233e2d3/article/panthers-could-eventually-switch-to-34-defense[/url]

I remember seeing this last year and Charles Johnson lined up at OLB and liked it better because he could see the play develop more and get speed up before reaching o-line.

Question is do they get the pieces to switch this year or go half and half this year? The texans proved last year that a team can switch in a year.

I would like to see them get poe to be the haloti ngata type player. He fits the 3-4 for a bigger faster stronger kind of defense. We need all the talent on defense we can get. With new draft additions and players back from injuries our defense has to be better than last year.

What are your thoughts? and if we move to a 3-4 base defense what players would you want in the draft?

Posted · Report post

the topic has been disscussed so much I really don't care. I just don't. both defenses work Rivera has run both well. But I think we do more of a 4-3. I really, really don't care anymore though.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

we are not even close to having the pieces for a 3-4
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='mvp2011' timestamp='1332536945' post='1701049']
[/quote]
[quote name='mvp2011' timestamp='1332536945' post='1701049']
[/quote]

A fact that could influence the draft. Kuechly, Ingram, Hightower---all could be higher on the board than we think.

Posted · Report post

we do have some there. Johnson, keisel (who rivera likes in 3-4) at olb. Beason, and anderson/davis at mlb when running the 3-4. Ron edwards nose tackle, def ends mcclain, fua (who could play nose), draft pick (poe/cox/brockers or 2nd rounder). They could do it if the draft picks turn out right.

Posted · Report post

We are a 4-3. We may occasionally run out of a few packages that look like a 3-4 but we are nowhere near running it as our base defense.

Posted · Report post

we did bring in Kuechly for a visit which had people scratching their heads being that he's a mlb/ilb and we have Beason. Rivera likes his LB's being that was a LB. This might be our pick. who knows...

Posted · Report post

And we were down to our sixtieth linebacker by the end of the season soooo makes sense we would look at one

Posted · Report post

i love how "could...eventually" turns into "will be...soon"

Posted · Report post

title of thread..."
[b] Remember The Panthers Will Be Moving To 3-4 Soon."[/b]

title of linked article..."
[b] Panthers could eventually switch to 3-4 defense"[/b]

from the last line of the OP..."if we move to a 3-4 base defense"

[img]http://scm-l3.technorati.com/11/11/29/57521/jerry-tarkanian-chewing-towel2-display-image.jpg?t=20111129105100[/img]
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Switching to 3-4 isn't simply an issue of getting another ILB. You need a specific type with a specific build and specific talents, and neither Beason nor Kuechly fit the mold.

Posted · Report post

if you think about it they will be a 3-4 soon. They aren't going to wait til the end of their coaching contracts to move to a different defense. When they got together and wanted to move to a 3-4 eventually then that wouldn't mean 4 to 5 years down road. As a coach you have to do what your plan is to get where you need to be. You don't wait around and finally change defenses 5 years later and possibly be out of a job before that. I know it looks like he will be around for long time cause of cam but you don't draft 4-3 players or bring in young guys for a 4-3 when you eventually move to a 3-4 base def. Now as I am repeating myself from get go, they could next season be in a 4-3 and split time with 3-4 and then work way to new defense.

Posted · Report post

3-4 looks out of a 4-3 base...and that's simply to make the QB think a bit more , about where the blitz is coming from.

Posted · Report post

Nope we're a 4-3 and sometimes run the 3-4 kinda like the Pats.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[size=4]"[/size][size=4]Remember The Panthers Will Be Moving To 3-4 Soon."[/size]

No we wont...idiot
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Amazing how «we'd like to run both the 43 and 34» gets translated into «we switching to the 34.»

Either way, Poe would be a big piece in both schemes.

Posted · Report post

Based on the fact that we haven't re-signed Applewhite, I'd agree with the consensus, 4-3 with 3-4 packages every now and then.

Posted · Report post

a 3-4 base defense doesn't mean they run it 90-100% of time. The patriots used to be a 3-4 base def and ran it 50-50. The panthers might run it 50-50 or 60-40 or whatever. It's okay that some of you don't know what football is becoming. Bigger, faster, stronger. 3-4 like ravens, steelers, packers, 49ers. 3-4 defenses. Bigger athletic defenses. People said Texans didn't have the pieces and look where they went. They were a 3-4 and after the year before where they were garbage on def, they moved and one of the top defenses in football. With offensive players getting bigger and faster, teams have to go bigger and faster. It's the evolution of the game. Guess that's why some people have knowledge of a matt millen.

Posted · Report post

[center][img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FZVvgFCIxXM/TD5qPdtzViI/AAAAAAAAABE/Ht-VwGQ6bjY/s1600/confused-full.jpg[/img][/center]

Posted · Report post

I doubt very seriously that we well ever do much more than periodic 3-4 looks. Rivera said as much last year. The idea that we are actively trying to switch to a 3-4 base is preposterous, especially considering the fact that we have actively resigned 4-3 specific personnel over the last two off seasons and if a switch was happening you would think that we wouldn't be doing that.

Posted · Report post

You're splitting hairs and trying to go back on what you said before.

Just stop.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

*shoots self in head...

Posted · Report post

The only thing more predictable than bad threads on the huddle is the inflamed defensive ad hominems by the OP

Posted · Report post

This guy is going full retard... Lol

It's been stated many times by Rivera that we won't be moving to a 3-4 except for periodic looks so can you please use your fugging brain?

Posted · Report post

We didn't hire McDermett to run a 3-4 base. Now that we have a full off season to install/learn the full zone blitz scheme, we will probably do as much as any team. In order to stop the better offenses you have to disguise/confuse the QB. From time tp time any back seven player will blitz and someone in the front four will drop into coverage. In order to do this you need versatile players. That's why I think we draft Ingram if he's there, with Coples next and Poe third.

A good descrition of the Eagles blitz --http://www.eagleseyeblog.com/2012-articles/february/looking-back-at-the-eagles-feared-zone-blitz.html