Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hurricanes acquire Jordan Staal

51 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

The Carolina Hurricanes have acquired Jordan Staal from the Pittsburgh Penguins for the 8th overall pick in the draft, Brandon Sutter, and Brian Dumoulin.

Posted · Report post

F**K YES!!!!!

Don't like trading Brandon Sutter though =\

Posted · Report post

After finding out about trading Sutter, im not as excited about this trade now. We didn't really improve much. Just stayed even. JR couldn't contain himself getting all the Staal brothers he can at the expense of giving away too much.

Posted · Report post

So looks like we're going to continue rotating wingers at center

Posted · Report post

E. Staal - J. Staal - Jussi Jokinen
Ruutu - Skinner - LaRose

That's the first two lines.

The rest, I don't know.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CarolinaPanthers8789' timestamp='1340411864' post='1809049']
Ruutu - Skinner - LaRose

The rest, I don't know.
[/quote]

I don't see us rotating 2 center lines with wingmen

Posted · Report post

Jordan came to play with Eric and which will force Eric to move outside, this will also allow Eric to become more of an offensive player anyway.

The only reason I put Skinner back at center is because I don't know who else to put there. I refuse to believe that Jeremy Welsh is the answer to the number two center position.

Posted · Report post

Gave up way too much... Sutter + Dumo + the 8th pick, we took one step forward, two steps back. Sure J. Staal is an upgrade over Sutter, but we coulda snagged Forsburg with that pick and picked up staal in FA next year.

[quote name='CarolinaPanthers8789' timestamp='1340411864' post='1809049']
Ruutu - Skinner - LaRose

The rest, I don't know.
[/quote]

Parise - E. Staal - Skinner
Jussi/Someone - J. Staal - Ruutu

Would be preferred.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Ncstatefan' timestamp='1340412321' post='1809058']
Gave up way too much... Sutter + Dumo + the 8th pick, we took one step forward, two steps back. Sure J. Staal is an upgrade over Sutter, but we coulda snagged Forsburg with that pick and picked up staal in FA next year.

Parise - E. Staal - Skinner
Jussi/Someone - J. Staal - Ruutu

Would be preferred.
[/quote]

Parise isn't coming to Carolina, he is going to Pitt now.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CarolinaPanthers8789' timestamp='1340412362' post='1809059']
Parise isn't coming to Carolina, he is going to Pitt now.
[/quote]

I don't know, I heard the Wild are tops of his list right now but maybe the acquisition of J.Staal makes us more enticing.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Ncstatefan' timestamp='1340412455' post='1809062']
I don't know, I heard the Wild are tops of his list right now but maybe the acquisition of J.Staal makes us more enticing.
[/quote]

The only problem is, I think we do Staal's contract right now instead of next year which will take away some of the money we could throw Parise's way. That's the only reason I don't agree with you.

Posted · Report post

Ruutu- E.Staal - Skinner

Jokinen - J.Staal - Larose

That's how it is atm. You guys act like switching centers and wingers around is no big deal when it is. They have different responsibilities. I don't want my star player kicked out to wing just so he can play with his brother. He's been playing center his entire career here.

Posted · Report post

TSN talked to Rutherford and said that Jordan and Eric will play on the first line together.

Thinking anything other than that is absurd. You don't give up as much as we did for a 2nd line center.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CarolinaPanthers8789' timestamp='1340412685' post='1809067']
TSN talked to Rutherford and said that Jordan and Eric will play on the first line together.
[/quote]

Pretty bad move for the team then. Good first line, but then after that good to mediocre. It was a stupid move to get rid of Sutter and also stupid to have both brothers on the same line simply because they are brothers at the sake of the team. JR couldn't help himself. He's losing it. Might as well change the team name to the Carolina Staals.

Posted · Report post

[quote]The Hurricanes have acquired Jordan Staal from the Penguins for Brandon Sutter, prospect Brian Dumoulin and their eighth overall selection in the 2012 draft.

Well, that came together pretty quickly. A day after he rejected the Penguins' 10-year offer that was reportedly worth $60 million, Staal heads to Carolina to join his brother Eric. The 23-year old has a year remaining at $4 million before he becomes a restricted free agent, but he's sure to sign an extension with the Canes before that point. [b]He wanted a more expanded opportunity, and he'll get that with the Hurricanes, likely becoming their first-line center, with Eric shifting to the wing.[/b] An excellent two-way player, Staal's 25 goals and 50 points last season only begin to show to the tip of the iceberg for his offensive potential. The center will play in his seventh NHL season next year and he should thrive with his new team. A point-per-game pace can't be out of the question. Quite a day for the young power forward, who also got married Friday night.[/quote]

That's from Bob McKenzie, one of the most respected men in hockey.

Posted · Report post

Get ready for mediocrity at the center position. Jokinen and Skinner aren't the answer there.

Posted · Report post

If Sutter becomes the player he could potentially be, then yes, Pittsburgh wins the deal. Clearly a "win-now" move by Rutherford after years of being on the fringe of the 8th playoff spot. Certainly puts the Canes in the drivers seat to challenge the Caps for the Southeast.

My only criticism is it takes us out of the Parise sweepstakes (assuming Jordan signs an extension.) You could tell when Pitt GM went to the podium that he did not want to give up Jordan, but his hands were tied.

Posted · Report post

Sacrificing the team so that 2 brothers can be together. F**k JR. I feel like Im going to vomit this trade makes me so sick. Im sick and tired of this team being mediocre when they can be so much better. What's next? Trading Faulk and Skinner so that Marc can join his brothers? This team will never get out of the gutter as long as JR is here. He has gotten worse since our Stanley Cup win.

Posted · Report post

We really need to take a look at Jiri Hudler, Ryan Suter, Zach Parise, P.A. Parenteau, Alexander Semin, Dennis Wideman, Kyle Wellwood, Steve Downie, Ryan O'Reilly, Jamie Benn, Sam Gagner, Kris Versteeg, Sergei Kostitsyn, Shea Weber, Micahel Del Zotto, Nick Foligno, Jakub Voracek, T.J. Oshie, David Perron, or Evander Kane

If we can at least get two or three of these guys we will be a hell of a team.

Posted · Report post

Im not even going to let myself become excited at the possibility of this team making a move that makes sense anymore.

Posted · Report post

Lol, I don't think it's as bad as you think.

Bob Mack said that he expects J. Staal to be an 80 point guy next year since he will finally be playing on the first line with Eric.

Posted · Report post

I didnt want this trade anymore once fors fell to 8. I could stand it if it was 8 and dumo(our 2nd best d prospect) but losing sutter makes this deal stink. It's not like staal was a rfa next yr, he was UFA who supposedly wanted mot come here. Gave up too much.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CarolinaPanthers8789' timestamp='1340414379' post='1809090']
Lol, I don't think it's as bad as you think.

Bob Mack said that he expects J. Staal to be an 80 point guy next year since he will finally be playing on the first line with Eric.
[/quote]

So what about everything else after the 1st line?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='KillerKat' timestamp='1340413890' post='1809084']
Sacrificing the team so that 2 brothers can be together. F**k JR. I feel like Im going to vomit this trade makes me so sick. Im sick and tired of this team being mediocre when they can be so much better. What's next? Trading Faulk and Skinner so that Marc can join his brothers? This team will never get out of the gutter as long as JR is here. He has gotten worse since our Stanley Cup win.
[/quote]

Have you ever said anything positive about management or this team in general? You want him to make a move so we're no longer mediocre, so once he makes a "win now" move, you complain!

For crying out loud, it's Brandon Sutter, not Wayne Gretzky. And it's June...

Posted · Report post

They obviously expect Rask to make the team. Next to Murphy, he is our top prospect.