Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pete Prisco weighs in on Stews signing.

139 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19779678/panthers-new-deal-for-stewart-doesnt-make-sense-in-todays-nfl"]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19779678/panthers-new-deal-for-stewart-doesnt-make-sense-in-todays-nfl[/url]

[quote][color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Stewart is entering his fifth season, but he has just 13 career starts. He had 761 yards in 2011, but averaged 5.4 per rush in 16 games. He did catch 47 passes out of the backfield.[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
Combined with Williams, the Panthers do have a nice 1-2 punch.[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
Nice, if it were 1996.[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
Aren't the Panthers trying to move away from their reputation of being a run-first team, something former coach John Fox loved?[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
They could have Jim Brown and O.J. Simpson in their prime in their backfield, but if Newton weren't the star of the offense it wouldn't matter.[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
The Giants won a Super Bowl and were last in rushing.[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
The Cardinals went to the Super Bowl in 2008 and they were also last. It was the same for the 2009 Colts.[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
New England, which lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl last February, was ranked 24th in rushing.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]See a pattern? Why pay runners when the running game is being de-emphasized?[/size][/font][/color][/quote]
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Even though i love stew he is right. We should have let dwill walk and signed stew to this same deal. Hindsight is 50 50 though.
3 people like this

Posted · Report post

I have no respect for Prisco, the guy is a grade A asshole.

Posted · Report post

Because as defenses de-emphasize defending the run, we'll run it down their throat.

Posted · Report post

This will be the first and last time you ever see Kurb post a link to Prisco...Hillarious

Posted · Report post

I bet the Pats would have liked to be able to run the ball in the SB last year... LOL

Posted · Report post

Oh, and Stewart is a significant weapon in our passing game... but I wouldn't expect Prisco to know that.

Posted · Report post

[attachment=4417:images.jpeg]

Blah blah blah yackity shmacity
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CatMan72' timestamp='1344817731' post='1857178']
I bet the Pats would have liked to be able to run the ball in the SB last year... LOL
[/quote]

Why they would have scored more points than with Brady passing?

Posted · Report post

Kind of unfair to completely ignore the 47 catches for 413 yards last season...His role doubles in the offense. And if this is about paying two running backs. D.Will doesn't have any guarantees after this season, and that deal can be restructured for flexibility. Money isn't an issue.

Offense is about having weapons, why does it matter what kind? Stewart functions as a runner and a pass catcher.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Prisco loves blaine gabbert so keep that in mind

Posted · Report post

And also, I notice that he didn't included the New Orleans Saints** from 2009 because it doesn't fit his argument. They were 7th in rushing attempts the year they won the super bowl.

I don't see a problem in accumulating as many weapons as possible on offense as long as they can contribute consistently.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Zod' timestamp='1344817256' post='1857169']
...because its a pendulum that won't always swing that way as defenses adjust to it. In fact, this season the run may be more important than ever. No one knows.
[/quote]

The NFL wants big points and doing everything they can to encourage passing....it isn't going to shift back to the way it was.

I expect even more 4k passers and 5k passers going forward. D will never get back what they lost....it will only get worse for those guys.

Posted · Report post

Pick your poison with our Offense. Stack 8 in the box, Cam lights you up. Play a bunch of nickle and dime, Stewart, Williams, or Tolbert will pound the rock at over 5 yards per carry. The NFL hasn't seen an offense as balanced as this one has the talent to be. Just wait Prisco. You are going to look like a dumb MFer soon, lol.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CatMan72' timestamp='1344817391' post='1857173']
Because as defenses de-emphasize defending the run, we'll run it down their throat.
[/quote]

Defenses aren't de-emphasizing their defensive front though. There is a greater need for DL talent since the deck is stacked against those covering.

Posted · Report post

Why is Brady in the conversation or any West Coast team.Their short pass is just the same as an extended handoff and counts the same as a run. And before you say we could do the same thing, we haven't run the WCO since Seifert in 2001 and I know people don't want to go back to that. We have a very prolific offense that is built on the run option and requires a good running game so we don't need to emulate anyone else. In few years teams will be emulating us.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CRA' timestamp='1344818650' post='1857207']
Defenses aren't de-emphasizing their defensive front though. There is a greater need for DL talent since the deck is stacked against those covering.
[/quote]

What they are doing is going with faster quicker guys who may be good getting penetration but can't stop a big physical offensive line with road graders like we have. As the game wears on it will be more obvious.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='FirstRoundPick' timestamp='1344818056' post='1857190']

Why they would have scored more points than with Brady passing?
[/quote]

Oh really??? Maybe they could've kept Eli on the sideline if they actually could run...this works both ways.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Yasinkas weighs in on this, though more Tolbert stuff, I think it is relevant here:
[quote][b]2. The workload at running back. [/b][color=#333333][font=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]You can make a case that the Panthers underused running backs[/size][/font][/color][url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/9613/deangelo-williams"]DeAngelo Williams[/url][color=#333333][font=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] and [/size][/font][/color][url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11247/jonathan-stewart"]Jonathan Stewart[/url][color=#333333][font=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] last season. So what did the Panthers do in the offseason? They added [/size][/font][/color][url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11658/mike-tolbert"]Mike Tolbert[/url][color=#333333][font=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] as a free agent from San Diego. The Panthers say Tolbert will be a fullback but also say he’ll get some time at tailback and will be asked to catch passes out of the backfield. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]That sure makes it sound like the number of carries for Williams and Stewart, who each have had 1,000-yard seasons in the past, will be reduced even more. But I think people are missing the point. Offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski was riding the hot hand with Newton last season, and the Panthers frequently played from behind. When the coaching staff reflected on last season, I think it concluded that the running backs weren’t involved enough. Count on a conscious effort to get Williams and Stewart more carries. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]It might look like Tolbert just complicates things. But players don’t call Chudzinski “The Mad Scientist" for no reason. They know he has big plans for this backfield. We could end up seeing all sorts of combinations of Williams, Stewart and Tolbert, and there could be all sorts of new plays. It sure beats the heck out of the old days in Carolina when variety in the backfield meant a draw play to Nick Goings. [/size][/font][/color][/quote]

Posted · Report post

That Prisco has come down against how the Panthers have conducted business is a slam dunk on how right we are to do exactly that....

thanks for finally clearing that up, Pete

Posted · Report post

What's shocking is that Kurb posted this.

Posted · Report post

I've never heard that we are trying to move away from the run. Thanks for informing me Pete.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='panthers55' timestamp='1344818885' post='1857210']

What they are doing is going with faster quicker guys who may be good getting penetration but can't stop a big physical offensive line with road graders like we have. As the game wears on it will be more obvious.
[/quote]

It is still out smarting ourselves. NFL is making it easier and easier to pass. Nothing suggests Ds are going to get rules back to aid them.

they are adding better athletes at DT, yes. the space cloggers are going away....but there are still monsters on the DLs.

And the road grading OL doesnt fair as well in pass protection.....so that still leaves you in a passing league protecting your QB with an OL emphazing the run.