Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do your best to put a positive spin on Shula's promotion

66 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

We made the playoffs under Joe Pendry,Dan Henning and Jeff Davidson as offensive coordinators in the past.

Pendry did it with Kerry Collins at the helm, Henning and Davidson did it with Delhomme...who's to say Shula and Cam can't make it?

There I tried....what you got?
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Better than Shurmur.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Dilfer went to the pro-bowl in '97 when Shula was the OC.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='SBVG' timestamp='1358551907' post='2103751']
Better than Shurmur.
[/quote]

That's about all you can say.

Posted · Report post

He'll make our all the HoF armchair coaches/GMs on here and in the media look like idiots this season

Posted · Report post

1) [size=4]Just like Rivera, with Shula we won't have to worry about any of those embarrassing emotional outbursts on the sidelines.[/size]

[size=4]2) We already know how to spell his name and what he looks like.[/size]

3) He is a nice looking chap, not too hard on the fan's eyes.

4) He can call Dad when he hits tough stretches.

That's all I got...

Posted · Report post

i can plan an archaeological expedition to egypt in the fall without worrying about missing games

Posted · Report post

Shula is the only guy Cam ever talks to on the sidelines when he is sitting with a towel over his head.

So now Cam will go back and be talking to the OC after every drive, which is a plus.

:)

Posted · Report post

Rivera knows he has only next year to prove himself. Shula knows this and his job will be on the line if Rivera is canned. Good for Ricky for wr coach and if Skipper returns as RB coach we might be ok.
I could see Weinke coming in as QB coach.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The stockholders seem to be stoked

Posted · Report post

We don't have to worry about some other team having any desire to hire him.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Long time NFL guy and the son of a great.

Likes puppies and is nice to children.

Once got high with Paul Rudd.

Does not get worked up by local TV.

Thinks Rockford files is cool but there are some things that he would change if it were up to him.

Posted · Report post

Hmmmm....

mmm....

Alright I got it! He might have a better understanding of Cam Newton than Chud did and develop a better offense built around Cam playing under center feeding the running backs who just got back their old coach.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

yeah lemme see here.

at least we're not the browns? oh wait nvm.

[img]http://catchmypicture.com/rBGJGd.jpg[/img]

Posted · Report post

One of the concerns I had about a possible Hue Jackson hire is that he has a well-earned reputation for hubris. I mean, the man tried to make himself the heir apparent to Al Davis after the man died, for crying out loud. This could have turned very ugly if, when the offense had any kind of struggles or obvious changes needing to be made, he would have balked at implementing them since he would have been here merely as a stepping stone to a new head coaching gig. In fact, it would have been in his interest to NOT take direction from Rivera, since he was already on the hot seat and if he gets canned Hue would get a look at taking over the head spot.

None of these things will be an issue under Shula; he's not on any head coaching shortlists, and if he is successful the credit will probably go more towards Cam than it would to him. But, if the indications about the relationship they have is true, Shula won't care either way. If the offense has problems, Rivera will likely not wait as long as he did with Chud to address them, and Shula will likely prove far more pliable to changes than Chud, who was also eyeing a head coaching job.

Our issue isn't going to be one of offensive philosophy; Rivera has made it extremely clear he has tied his boat to a vertical Coryell offense, and of all the possible candidates Shula has the most direct, recent experience with exactly what we run. If we get a little more conservative and committed to the running game, so much the better. This offense cannot live and die by Cam like it has the last two seasons; he needs to be our biggest weapon, not our ONLY weapon.

Finally, this hire will make or break Rivera, with no hemming or hawwing. This is it; either it works out and he stays on as our head coach or him and Shula are job-hunting next season. And before imbeciles launch into "NUH-UH JR IS CHEAP" rants please remember that Gettleman is going to call those shots; this isn't his staff and he will have free reign to make that determination if the results aren't what they need to be.
4 people like this

Posted · Report post

At least we won't have to compete with 8 teams looking for a HC next yr when we are making our hire.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Our offense will be identical to what we saw towards the end of the season. More power running and pocket passing.

Plus Cam and Shula are already close, and Shula coaches from the field and is more vocal unlike Chud.

Posted · Report post

[size=6][sup]Much easier time finding a parking space near BOA on Sunday's[/sup][/size]

[size=6][sup]More elbow room in the stadium[/sup][/size]

Posted · Report post

By hiring an OC nobody else would allow on their facility at gunpoint and making him responsible for two coaching slots, we save JR a nice chunk of cash.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Seriously, I will not be surprised if Shula is better than Chud, if for no other reason than I think we will run a more balanced offense.

But this team needs experience in the on field leadership positions. Guys that have been to the playoffs as coaches and won games, not guys that we hope can maybe possibly grow into the job. We may in fact be better next year than this year, but it will be because of the players, not because we have great coaching. The inexperience of our coaching staff is going to hold us back from what we could become, not make us perform above what would logically be expected.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Marguide' timestamp='1358553098' post='2103813']
Seriously, I will not be surprised if Shula is better than Chud, if for no other reason than I think we will run a more balanced offense.

But this team needs experience in the on field leadership positions. [b]Guys that have been to the playoffs as coaches and won games,[/b] not guys that we hope can maybe possibly grow into the job. We may in fact be better next year than this year, but it will be because of the players, not because we have great coaching. The inexperience of our coaching staff is going to hold us back from what we could become, not make us perform above what would logically be expected.
[/quote]

None of the other OC options fulfilled that requirement. Whisenhunt is the only one I can think of, and apparently there was no contact with him, so either he wasn't interested or we weren't, hard to say.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='fieryprophet' timestamp='1358553189' post='2103818']
None of the other OC options fulfilled that requirement. Whisenhunt is the only one I can think of, and apparently there was no contact with him, so either he wasn't interested or we weren't, hard to say.
[/quote]

I guess I was speaking in more general terms, not just among the candidates we looked at. Imo, what Rivera needed was a strong, experienced voice in his ear that had been there and done that, and the guys we are promoting don't even come close to fitting that criteria.

The good news is we've hired Jim Skipper. Rivera can learn a lot from Skip if he will listen to him.

Posted · Report post

For me the best thing about the Shula hire is watching the Huddle experts go balistic. Because if you listen to them, the Panthers suck, we are never going to win cuz JR is cheap, and this move cements us as the new laughingstock of the NFL.

You gotta love this place. The hyperbole is amazingly shallow.
1 person likes this