Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gettleman says he'll use FA to put Panthers in position to take best player available in draft

43 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

It's about time! But that must mean we have a few big cuts/trades on the way as well. It will be nice to add some talent to our "Draft Dynasty".
[url="http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Gettleman-Rivera-ready-to-tackle-roster-challenges/76889e0c-c865-4b9c-b891-5b5b11037ba2"]http://www.panthers....91-5b5b11037ba2[/url]

Posted · Report post

free agency should be the primary means of addressing needs, not the draft.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Don't draft for need, draft the BPA no matter what. The correct way of conducting a draft, take the BPA even if it's a team strength.

[quote]"With the Giants, people thought we were crazy for drafting defensive ends. We drafted (Mathias) Kiwanuka and we drafted JPP (Jason Pierre-Paul), and everyone's saying, ‘My God, when's it going to stop?' But if that's the best player available, you take him. Nothing like competition."[/quote]

Posted · Report post

this is actually a best standard practice in the nfl. if you can fill your needs with good, proven guys, the draft is simply a bpa picnic

Posted · Report post

Derek Cox, please try to sign Derek Cox.

Posted · Report post

And that's how it should be. Anyone think the comments about making the cap good for the future to come means ALOT of players with bad contacts being dumped?

Posted · Report post

I'll wait and see who he has in mind for his FA list before I praise him.

Posted · Report post

I dig his style. He's a true grinder. Looking forward to the year.

Posted · Report post

He says all the right things. If he follows up with actions,it will be great.

Posted · Report post

Total opposite of Hurney who would pass on free agents who would signifcantly help the team because they had the nerve to ask for a price that is reasonable.

Posted · Report post

yeah one or two but you cant build a team through free agency, you build a team by drafting impact/high ceiling players.

Posted · Report post

[quote]We'll use Free Agency to put the team in position to take the best player available in the draft.[/quote]

See, this is one of those sort of statements that by rights ought to be greeted with "Well duh, [i]of course[/i] that's what he's gonna do. That's what you're [i]supposed[/i] to do."

Over the past ten years though, that was definitely [b][i]not[/i][/b] something that Panther fans could assume would happen :(

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Doughboy88' timestamp='1361498725' post='2140927']
I dig his style. He's a true grinder. Looking forward to the year.
[/quote]DAT ASS HOLY HECK

Posted · Report post

Direct quote...

[quote]"The way I look at the whole picture is, free agency is the opportunity to set your draft up," he said. "You want to be in a position where you can take the best player. Nine times out of 10 you get in trouble when you draft for need. It's a problem. You can have a top 10 pick and make up your mind you're going to draft for need, and if he's not there, then what do you do?

"With the Giants, people thought we were crazy for drafting defensive ends. We drafted (Mathias) Kiwanuka and we drafted JPP (Jason Pierre-Paul), and everyone's saying, ‘My God, when's it going to stop?' But if that's the best player available, you take him. Nothing like competition."[/quote]

Posted · Report post

but doesn't he know dat dis ain't Madden brah?

That you don't just sign good players and expect your team to be better, you have to draft players and develop them for a few years or five and then make a run

I mean seriously fire this guy and get a real GM in here I mean this is real life

Posted · Report post

Sounds better than drafting for needs and signing the best FA available.

Posted · Report post

This would have sounded so much better if we were 40m under the cap.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Growl' timestamp='1361504349' post='2141010']
but doesn't he know dat dis ain't Madden brah?

That you don't just sign good players and expect your team to be better, you have to draft players and develop them for a few years or five and then make a run

I mean seriously fire this guy and get a real GM in here I mean this is real life
[/quote]
Sounds like a guy who just happened to be a member of a team that won 2 fluky superbowls(people win the lotto twice) now he is bringing that expertise to the panthers.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='SIGCHI222' timestamp='1361504798' post='2141019']
Sounds better than drafting for needs and signing the best FA available.
[/quote]

Been that route before, haven't we?

Gettleman's philosophy is to draft to fit the system, not need. He essentially wants over time to get us in a position where the draft isn't about need, it's about depth.

Posted · Report post

I'm really interested in what he said about FA. To me, it's [i]critical [/i]to improve the offensive line. Gettleman can't justify drafting BPA until we get some help there. My guess is that they'll cut Gamble and Ron Edwards before March 1st (along with other guys like Armanti). Geoff Shwartz should then be targeted, just because I think we'll get better value with him. I'll be happy with a BPA heavy draft strategy then (even more BPA than Hurney). Guys like Beason and DWill may go after June 1st to help with the cap long-term.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='nagai' timestamp='1361511353' post='2141102']
I'm really interested in what he said about FA. To me, it's [i]critical [/i]to improve the offensive line. Gettleman can't justify drafting BPA until we get some help there. My guess is that they'll cut Gamble and Ron Edwards before March 1st (along with other guys like Armanti). Geoff Shwartz should then be targeted, just because I think we'll get better value with him. I'll be happy with a BPA heavy draft strategy then (even more BPA than Hurney). Guys like Beason and DWill may gone after June 1st to help with the cap long-term.
[/quote]

I'd refer back to the quotes about winning with "big guys".

Posted · Report post

Fug this Gettleman character.
We need more Running Backs.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Kevin Greene' timestamp='1361514870' post='2141128']
Fug this Gettleman character.
We need more Running Backs.
[/quote]

Marty? :blink:

Posted · Report post

[quote name='BlueBoy' timestamp='1361509861' post='2141088']
Sounds like a guy who just happened to be a member of a team that won 2 fluky superbowls(people win the lotto twice) now he is bringing that expertise to the panthers.
[/quote]

I believe you missed the sarcasm in his post.

Posted · Report post

Always remember, and never forget. Sarcasm, logic, reason, fact, or plain ol' common sense is lost on a troll. Their inate ability to contradict any statement is a skill honed by years of experience. Don't kid yourself, they are better at this than you are. They are the goonies personified. Feed them at your own peril. They antagonize for the hits. Your participation only aids that goal.

Want to hurt a troll? Have him open the huddle and see zero notifications. That will make his day.