Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NC on the verge of passing the worst voter suppression bill the nation has ever seen

98 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

normal state governments don't attach legislation that effectively subverts roe v. wade to motorcycle safety bills. sane people don't introduce legislation which bans shariah law. that kind of dumb bullshit tends to draw attention.

or maybe it's the evil libruhl media just making a mountain out of a molehill! who knows, i'm pstall and i'm Just Asking Questions

Posted · Report post

didn't you ask a question in another thread shuttlescock? oops. i just asked a question about asking a question. i broke another interwebz rule.

Posted · Report post

My whole life, there was never such a thing as early voting. Then a few years ago, NC started early voting and now they are going to adjust the amount of days and all of a sudden the world will never be the same. Much ado...

Posted · Report post

BTW, sorry if I come off as more dickish than my normal dickish self in this thread, but this bill bothers me.

G5 I appreciate you giving your opinion and being a mainstay in the tinderbox.

I just have a big problem with this bill

No problem.

I have a tendency to do the same at times. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

the GOP is digging its own grave with all this. they're sacrificing the long term for short-term gain. people are taking notice.

i grew up in an incredibly conservative household, voted republican in all the elections, and then slowly started realizing they were full of poo and gradually moved towards the middle, and voted for gary johnson in 2012. and even now less than a year later i'd vote democrat unless a viable third-party candidate popped up.

and there are a LOT of me.

i think this is true for most of us southern-raised people who pay even minimal attention to what is going on.  i would love to be given a reason to vote republican again some day but these past 5 or 6 years has only proven one thing to me:  they care more about being in office than they care about helping the state/nation.  not that all politicians dont focus on elections, but ever since getting away with the rigging of W's first victory, it is like that is all they know how to do rather than actually give people reasons to vote "right" again.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I don't hate Lee Atwater. He is an incredibly fascinating political operative.

But his presence is still so prevelant in the Republican party (for example Karl Rove is a disciple if Lee Atwater).

The problem is, especially with the accessibility to the internet, for younger voters that type of politics is so much less effective. On top of that they are hardening a wedge between voters like myself and their party that is going to be hard to soften any time soon. It also isn't a coincidence that current tactics are so effective with less tech savvy people such as older voters.

Posted · Report post

hey with all their hard work on such important issues such as voter restrictions, the repub cabinet gets a net $1.1 million raise this year!

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/01/10/3778968/gov-pat-mccrory-gives-his-cabinet.html

“I’m trying to make it at least where they can afford to live while running multibillion-dollar departments,” McCrory said in an interview.

Posted · Report post

“I’m trying to make it at least where they can afford to live while running multibillion-dollar departments,” McCrory said in an interview.

well if they can't figure out how to live off $100k+ a year, i have ZERO confidence in their problem-solving abilities.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

i grew up in an incredibly conservative household, voted republican in all the elections, and then slowly started realizing they were full of poo and gradually moved towards the middle, and voted for gary johnson in 2012. and even now less than a year later i'd vote democrat unless a viable third-party candidate popped up.

and there are a LOT of me.

I think that's who my husband voted for. Two NC votes for Gary!

With the concern of any republican getting in office and turning far right like I've been seeing I might just vote for all dems next time. I've never done that before but I'd rather the moderate dem get in office and go far left then a moderate republican get in office and go far right.

Posted · Report post

it is a clunky bill and doesn't create any goodwill that's for sure.

what i have noticed is the break neck pace of how fast the collective bad pub, be it emails, news, social media etc for anything the reps do in nc.

i can't recall what appears to be a coordinated full court press the very moment a sliver of news from what the reps are doing when all the dems were in office.

i could be wrong but doesn't seem like it.

It's got to do with the legislation.

I heard an interview with a NC college professor (i think he was a political science professor). Anyways he said the dems in NC were not ultra liberal dems they were more blue dog dems, at least their was a large enough presence of them that they kept the more liberal politicians from whacky far left bills while they were the majority. He said that's not as much the case with this republican legislator that's why you have legislation introduced to make a official state religion while also having legislation going after Sharia Law.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The response here on the Huddle when dems occupied the WH, and controlled the Senate and House in 2008 and passed all kinds of crap with no regard for Pubs was "Waaaaaaaa"

Not many people here are saying that about the NC government, but the one sided slants and sky is falling rhetoric are a bit over the top. Kinda like, " I will move to another country if Bush is elected"

Politics. both sides try to work things to their advantage. Surprised?

Posted · Report post

The response here on the Huddle when dems occupied the WH, and controlled the Senate and House in 2008 and passed all kinds of crap with no regard for Pubs was "Waaaaaaaa"

Not many people here are saying that about the NC government, but the one sided slants and sky is falling rhetoric are a bit over the top. Kinda like, " I will move to another country if Bush is elected"

Politics. both sides try to work things to their advantage. Surprised?

this legislation is stupid on a historic scale and almost everyone knows it. hyper-religious anti-education types are slashing budgetary areas that define our state as standing out from the rest of the impoverished, ignorant south, all under the guise of fiscal conservatism, while ironically raising salaries for mcrory's cabinet and spending millions upon millions of taxpayer dollars to fund a notably pointless program that only serves to appease people who think voter fraud is an actual problem (and make voting as annoying as possible for inconvenient demographics.)

if you cared about any of this at all you'd be crying about the sky falling too. luckily as the decades roll on your ilk will be gradually shifted to the fringes and left to bitterly bemoan the new liberal anti-god establishment that's ruining everything with trophy-festooned entitlement. everyone agreeing with your archaic mosaic cosmogonies and the regressive politics that extend from them will be dwelling in cabins in the woods throwing rocks at liberal trees and reenacting the civil war and the headlines will read

[spoiler] Old-Man-Yells-At-Cloud-the-simpsons-7414 [/spoiler]

enjoy your hollow victories while you have them

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

It's got to do with the legislation.

I heard an interview with a NC college professor (i think he was a political science professor). Anyways he said the dems in NC were not ultra liberal dems they were more blue dog dems, at least their was a large enough presence of them that they kept the more liberal politicians from whacky far left bills while they were the majority. He said that's not as much the case with this republican legislator that's why you have legislation introduced to make a official state religion while also having legislation going after Sharia Law.

The part about a large faction of blue dog Democrats is 100% correct.

I was working there when the Dems were working on a new tax package and it was a huge headache, not because of the Republicans but because of the resistance within their own caucus by conservativish (trademarked) Democrats.

Posted · Report post

this legislation is stupid on a historic scale and almost everyone knows it. hyper-religious anti-education types are slashing budgetary areas that define our state as standing out from the rest of the impoverished, ignorant south, all under the guise of fiscal conservatism, while ironically raising salaries for mcrory's cabinet and spending millions upon millions of taxpayer dollars to fund a notably pointless program that only serves to appease people who think voter fraud is an actual problem (and make voting as annoying as possible for inconvenient demographics.)

if you cared about any of this at all you'd be crying about the sky falling too. luckily as the decades roll on your ilk will be gradually shifted to the fringes and left to bitterly bemoan the new liberal anti-god establishment that's ruining everything with trophy-festooned entitlement. everyone agreeing with your archaic mosaic cosmogonies and the regressive politics that extend from them will be dwelling in cabins in the woods throwing rocks at liberal trees and reenacting the civil war and the headlines will read

[spoiler] Old-Man-Yells-At-Cloud-the-simpsons-7414 [/spoiler]

enjoy your hollow victories while you have them

Good to know I have some victory to enjoy, I had missed that part completely. Unlike the Dems who yell Waaaaaaaa.

I just refuse to think all the "outside" the state media cries are going to materialize as bad as they say, they never do. Like I said before, Dems get in office and spend loads of money on things to placate their supporters and pubs get in office and cut loads of things to placate theirs. A cycle I have seen many times, even long before your were born.

Bravo to your rant though, nobody does it better.

And I don't necessarily agree with everthing.

Posted · Report post

Good to know I have some victory to enjoy, I had missed that part completely. Unlike the Dems who yell Waaaaaaaa.

I just refuse to think all the "outside" the state media cries are going to materialize as bad as they say, they never do. Like I said before, Dems get in office and spend loads of money on things to placate their supporters and pubs get in office and cut loads of things to placate theirs. A cycle I have seen many times, even long before your were born.

Bravo to your rant though, nobody does it better.

And I don't necessarily agree with everthing.

You probably won't notice a thing different because the legislations aren't directed at you.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

You probably won't notice a thing different because the legislations aren't directed at you.

Or you, or Philly B, or anyone on this board.

There were elections in this state long before all the programs listed started and there will be elections in the state long after they are curtailed.

Except for the increase to $5k on contributions, I don't have a real problem with most of it. You guys act like people cannot do anything on their own.

Posted · Report post

All this despite the fact that less than 500 people over the last 5 years have been prosecuted for voter fraud.... in the entire country.

Way to spend a lot of time and money on a problem that doesn't exist.

Posted · Report post

So what you guys all have your shorts bunched over is a bunch of programs, that have not been around forever, getting cut?

I would think with Pubs occupying every branch of the NC government at the moment, you would not be so attached to these wonderful programs. It does not seem to have been so successful for Dems in the last electon. Again, ThinkProgress can say whatever they want, I just don't happen to agree with all their accusations.

It is not like Dems have not been highly successful in NC, BEFORE all these programs. They will be successful after these programs.

Posted · Report post

Or you, or Philly B, or anyone on this board.

There were elections in this state long before all the programs listed started and there will be elections in the state long after they are curtailed.

Except for the increase to $5k on contributions, I don't have a real problem with most of it. You guys act like people cannot do anything on their own.

Do you not have a problem with not allowing extended voting to deal with long lines?

Let me explain how this works.

You cut early voting, you shrink the voting precincts in urban areas, you cause long lines in this mostly Democratic precincts, and then shut down voting so people in those long lines you created don't get a chance to participate.

There have indeed been elections before, but in areas like the Triangle population growth is amongst the highest in the nation.

Population has risen at enormous rates and that was the purpose of early voting and extending hours. This isn't 1980 anymore.

Otherwise at the current growth rate they will either keep people from voting or have to spend even more taxpayer money to open even more voting precincts to accommodate them.

It is bad legislation any way you slice it and is going to be more expensive to the taxpayers to maintain.

If there was evidence of widespread fraud maybe I would view it differently. But this is for a problem that there is no proof actually exists.

Not sure how anyone who loves our country could support a system designed to have less, not more participation.

Posted · Report post

In 1980 there was 600,000 people in the Triangle, in 2012 that number was 2,000,000

Population growth in the Triangle between 2000-2010 was 47.3%

Early voting and extended voting was designed to deal with that rapid population growth,'

What we did even 10 years ago is not even relevant anymore because we are growing that fast.

So save the, "derp, they didn't have early voting 50 years ago and we were fine derp"

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

http://www.elon.edu/docs/e-web/elonpoll/030413_ElonPoll_voterID.pdf

Elon poll taken from just this past February.  It's not like it doesn't have support despite harsh liberals and Moral Mondays. 

Slavery had majority support.  Doesn't mean it is good legislation just because it polls well.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Slavery had majority support.  Doesn't mean it is good legislation just because it polls well.

Did you read the demographic breakdown?  If you had, you wouldn't have just made such a silly statement.