Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Espn: Norv Turner close to OC deal with Vikings

43 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Another coach intertwined with RR may be leaving the train wreck called the Browns. So we may all get to watch Norv try to turn Ponder into a NFL QB and to work his magic with that offense.Im sure if Shula lays an egg next season the comparisons will start.Let the games begin.

Posted · Report post

And the Vikings go 8-8

Posted · Report post

Seriously though, why do people love Norv Turner so much?

He has been a head coach 15 years and has had only 3 10+ win seasons I believe.
4 people like this

Posted · Report post

Better as an OC

Seems to have a rep as being a QB developer.  Could mean he helps with Ponder, or, that the Vikes want a new guy drafted at #1. Never know

Posted · Report post

Why do we care?
5 people like this

Posted · Report post

Why do we care?

This will shatter many peoples fantasies of Norv coming to take on the OC job when we kick Shula out! It's all not going to happen so were stuck with Shula

Posted · Report post

Rivera already said in the presser that Shula isn't going anywhere...

Posted · Report post

from one train wreck to another.

get QB group to work with tho.......hahaha

Posted · Report post

In fairness (though Shula wasn't always perfect), I'd like to see Donnie's son with an improved offensive line and a couple of legitimate weapons added next year. 

That could make a world of difference (especially with Cam having time behind the line, throwing to some legitimate NFL receivers other than Smitty, with Ginn as a 3 0r 4 man, and NO LaFail). 

Just look at how Cam was able to successfully throw deep during the first half of the playoff game with space?

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

That's really my thinking as well.

Posted · Report post

Norv is just looking for a pay check these days. He didn't want to work with Rivera last year, so why would he this year?

Posted · Report post

Seriously though, why do people love Norv Turner so much?

He has been a head coach 15 years and has had only 3 10+ win seasons I believe.

As far as overrated coaches, The Herm Edwards hype has always blown my mind.

Posted · Report post

That's really my thinking as well.

Yeah, if you just look at what Cam was able to do the first half of the playoff game, it brought back memories. 

He just needs a better line, and with some added weapons, I think Shula will throw deep more, and/or Cam will be more successful at it, percentage wise. 

We forget how deadly accurate Cam can be (especially down field) when he has time or clear sightlines. 

And of course, better receivers (like a Golden Tate, and who ever), will catch more of those "high balls" that so many here like to bicker on and on about (both short, long, and in the endzone). 

Posted · Report post

Better as an OC

Seems to have a rep as being a QB developer.  Could mean he helps with Ponder, or, that the Vikes want a new guy drafted at #1. Never know

Who did he develop besides Rivers to some extent and Aikman 2 decades ago.  What he is known for is producing mediocre records and never reaching the Super Bowl despite sometimes having some very talented teams in San Diego.

Posted · Report post

What makes you so sure it'll be ponder?

I'm 90% sure the vikes will draft and start a rookie QB.

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Too loose as a HC but one of the better OC's in the history of the game.

Wish we could have gotten him.

Posted · Report post

Turner as OC...

Head Coach Mike Zimmer...

DC expected to be George Edwards...

With a decent QB, they could be trouble.

Posted · Report post

Turner as OC...

Head Coach Mike Zimmer...

DC expected to be George Edwards...

With a decent QB, they could be trouble.

Agreed.  With Norv loving to pound the rock, and them having AP, even a decent QB can get them a fair amount of wins.

Zimmer will have the D playing well, but they probably do need a WR that can stretch the field a bit, and some type of pass rusher.

Posted · Report post

Agreed. With Norv loving to pound the rock, and them having AP, even a decent QB can get them a fair amount of wins.

Zimmer will have the D playing well, but they probably do need a WR that can stretch the field a bit, and some type of pass rusher.

Cordarelle Patterson is pretty good.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Cordarelle Patterson is pretty good.

Is he a good WR yet, or just a crazy athlete?

I didn't get to see many Vike games this season.  Either way, rookie WR's normally don't tear it up, but he does have some serious potential.

Posted · Report post

I get this its the offseason but i dont give a poo about what other teams are doing. And these dumb posts about wanting a new OC needs to quit. Put it on the offseason news thread. No need to create its own.

Posted · Report post

I get this its the offseason but i dont give a poo about what other teams are doing. And these dumb posts about wanting a new OC needs to quit. Put it on the offseason news thread. No need to create its own.

I think that you need to refer to the thread that I just started, and take a long look at the graph.

Also, calm the fuck down, Norv has very close ties to RR, and is/was the best OC on the market this offseason, and we could certainly use him here.

Posted · Report post

I think that you need to refer to the thread that I just started, and take a long look at the graph.

Also, calm the fug down, Norv has very close ties to RR, and is/was the best OC on the market this offseason, and we could certainly use him here.

I officially hate the offseason.

Posted · Report post

I didn't get to see many Vike games this season. Either way, rookie WR's normally don't tear it up, but he does have some serious potential.

I'm just going to say crazy athlete for now. His routes were subpar (that was to be expected) and he dropped fairly easy receptions when there was any type of contact.

Posted · Report post

I didn't get to see many Vike games this season. Either way, rookie WR's normally don't tear it up, but he does have some serious potential.

I think he'll develop into a solid receiver.

Early in his career, our own Steve Smith was criticized for not being the best route runner too.