Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bill Voth says no tackle in the first

88 posts in this topic

Posted

This seems to fly in the face of folks who think that need will be big factor in determining Gettleman's BPA philosophy. Sure he could take a tackle or wide receiver or corner or other position. But it will be based on who they think is the BPA not the BPA at a position of need.

I know some teams use need as a part of their weighting system for a players when grading them.

But really all that means IMO is that if there are two players with the same score need would give that player the edge.

1 person likes this

Posted

Get what he's saying. Not so sure I buy his reasoning.

Posted

I know some teams use need as a part of their weighting system for a players when grading them.

But really all that means IMO is that if there are two players with the same score need would give that player the edge.

No doubt many teams use need as a big factor and that included us under Hurney as well.  I just don't think it as big a factor with Gettleman.  Honestly I could see him taking a TE or a DE if they were the BPA.  He knows that after a few years of constantly doing BPA regardless of position you build the overall talent of the team.

Posted

This is exactly what I've been saying, and I hope this is true. OT value at 28 is not worth that pick unless its Lewan. Gotta got BPA at position of need which will very very likely be wideout.

Posted

Kuechly broke me from getting too worked up over what I thought we needed. Just take the best football player and it will all work out. We have a good GM, let him do work.

Same, just get good football players and hope that need and value match up

1 person likes this

Posted

@billvoth: @VagusNC panthers believe OT value at 28 would be reaching

I agree!!!!
1 person likes this

Posted

No doubt many teams use need as a big factor and that included us under Hurney as well. I just don't think it as big a factor with Gettleman. Honestly I could see him taking a TE or a DE if they were the BPA. He knows that after a few years of constantly doing BPA regardless of position you build the overall talent of the team.

For the majority of the offseason I believed ASJ would be the BPA at 28. I've recently (in the last week) seen him mocked at 29 to NE and to TB in the 2nd. Just sayin'....you never know.

Posted

For the majority of the offseason I believed ASJ would be the BPA at 28. I've recently (in the last week) seen him mocked at 29 to NE and to TB in the 2nd. Just sayin'....you never know.

Obviously the further back in the draft you go, the harder it is to decide what we will do.  I doubt that gettleman knows at this point.  Hopefully someone we can really use drops like Star did last year.  So he becomes the BPA and a player who will be a day 1 starter. 

Posted

Obviously the further back in the draft you go, the harder it is to decide what we will do. I doubt that gettleman knows at this point. Hopefully someone we can really use drops like Star did last year. So he becomes the BPA and a player who will be a day 1 starter.

Star was a top 5 talent that dropped to 14. Cordarrelle Patterson would be a good comparison this year. Although even he was in the top 10 in some mocks, he was often mocked to us at 14, and always in the top 20-but fell to 29...and was a stud who would have been even better with a real QB. Can't wait for May 8!

2 people like this

Posted

Totally agree with him on this one.  After the top 3 are gone, the value just isn't there for an OT in the first.  MAAAAAYBE Martin.  I could live with that pick like I did with Kuechly at first, though it's a different situation since OT is very much a need and MLB wasn't at the time.  The value will probably be at a pass catcher or maybe CB.

Posted

One thing we know for a fact, that we are the team of the decade. You don't draft the GOAT, the best MLB of a generation, and the best run stuffer and one of the top overall players of an entire class in three years and NOT be the team of the decade. No no matter who we pick, it will be the right guy, and he will be a part of greatness.

0 Playoff wins between them. Yep. Team of the decade alright. Come on man, we all love the Panthers. But no. Just... no.

Posted

I would not be surprised to see someone fall and us trade back, especially if Dave is seeing us reach for things at 28. It's possible Moses could be had in the 2nd. The idea of Bell at LT is a sick joke, honestly. I just don't see us trading up.