Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gettlemen/Giant's history drafting O-line high?

30 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I wonder what they're expecting to get out of kugbila this year, hoping he at least competes at RG

Posted · Report post

I wonder what they're expecting to get out of kugbila this year, hoping he at least competes at RG

I hope so, but Zod watches plenty of practices and doesn't expect much out of Kugbila.  Then again, Terrell McClain was gonna be a perennial All-Pro...

If Kugbila can't at least compete for PT at OG this year given our roster, then I doubt he ever will to be honest.

Posted · Report post

I hope so, but Zod watches plenty of practices and doesn't expect much out of Kugbila. Then again, Terrell McClain was gonna be a perennial All-Pro...

If Kugbila can't at least compete for PT at OG this year given our roster, then I doubt he ever will to be honest.

To be fair he only had one training camp practice before he went on IR. but yea this year he should have good a chance as any.

Posted · Report post

Doesn't matter what the Giants did because Gettleman never called the shots.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I think anything we can get out of Kugbilla is going to be considered a positive. Even including play time in the preseason.

That being said, you can't base Gettleman's draft history on what the Giants did or didn't do.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I don't think Gettleman was the guy that made coffe there or anything.  He was part of the discussions and was brought here to bring their philosophy to the Panthers.  So yeah, I think it is fair to look at what the Giants did in his 12 years there.

Posted · Report post

I don't think Gettleman was the guy that made coffe there or anything. He was part of the discussions and was brought here to bring their philosophy to the Panthers. So yeah, I think it is fair to look at what the Giants did in his 12 years there.

He was the director of pro personnel. His job was to have input, and scout, on free agents and other teams' players.

So no, it wasn't like he "made coffee", but he also had more on his plate than college scouting.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

During his 12 yrs there, the Giants only drafted like 4 Olineman total during the first three rounds of all the drafts

There are many ways to build the Offensive Line. The 49ers have drafted high, and know have one of the best OL in the NFL

Posted · Report post

Yeah that's right. I forgot Short was the second round pick, and Kug was a 4.

Posted · Report post

While this is true, he was a valued member of the staff and would have had some input on these things. Also, he likely holds some of the same values/tendencies of his mentors and former bosses, That also cannot be ignored, product of our environment.

He's said himself that his job during the draft was to man the phone for trades.  I don't think he had much input on college kids with the Giants.  Nothing about the Giants' draft tendencies is remotely indicative about Gettleman's plans or philosophies.  He also has more former bosses than the Giants...

I'm on the "WR in the 1st" train, but I wouldn't be even a little surprised if he took an OT.  I would just hope it's the right one, that can play LT if there's such a guy available at 28.

Posted · Report post

G-man was the pro scouting director, so you can't guess what he's going to do in the draft based on what the Giants did when he was there. 

Posted · Report post

While this is true, he was a valued member of the staff and would have had some input on these things. Also, he likely holds some of the same values/tendencies of his mentors and former bosses, That also cannot be ignored, product of our environment.

Or maybe he thought they were idiots foe not doing so. Or maybe they never needed to....