Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Donald Sterling (LA Clippers owner) controversy

472 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

So Lester Munson is on ESPN and had the following comments after analyzing the constitution.

He believes that the actions of Sterling violate the "reasonable and ethical" clause adversely affecting the NBA and that the owners do have grounds to expel him with a 3/4 vote. Once started the process is like 15 days

Disputes among owners go to arbitration not the legal system so Sterling can't sue his way out of this and inadmissible evidence doesn't matter.

The commissioner has the power to hand out fines up to $2.5M, take away draft picks and suspend the owner for life.

Additionally there is a way the commissioner can actually terminate a franchise.

You beat me to it, but I was just going to say that Sterling doesn't really completely own a company he owns a franchise of the NBA and there is absolutely things that can be done by the NBA.

Posted · Report post

You beat me to it, but I was just going to say that Sterling doesn't really completely own a company he owns a franchise of the NBA and there is absolutely things that can be done by the NBA.

Yeah.

My analogy is a partner in a law firm. If that partner ends up on the front page of the NYT with something damaging to the firm, one way or another he is probably going to leave whether the other partners have power to vote him out or not. It can be hardball or pleasant. Sterling doesn't seem like the type of guy to go away nicely though.

This happened at my last job when the head partner was on the front page of the local paper. Sure enough, a few months later he left with a nice buyout and was given a lower level job in a new office.

Posted · Report post

If Micheal Jordan told his wife not to bring any white people to his games he wouldnt own the Bobcats 48 hours later. Rich white guy gets the benefit of the doubt tho. And shut up about free speech. This isnt Paula Dean. This man owns a NBA team. Enough

Not really sure who you think is giving him the benefit if the doubt. I see everyone on here calling him a vile pos and deserves every bad thing that happens to him.

Posted · Report post

I find it interesting that he hired the second highest paid coach in the league who happens to be black.

Just goes to show you despite personal prejudices, money trumps all in the business world. He spent a ton on a guy he knew could get the team winning and in turn make him more $$.

Posted · Report post

Ya

Just don't take a picture with my gf plz tho

Posted · Report post

and don't pay me rent money

that one baffles me

Posted · Report post

I find it interesting that he hired the second highest paid coach in the league who happens to be black.

Just goes to show you despite personal prejudices, money trumps all in the business world. He spent a ton on a guy he knew could get the team winning and in turn make him more $$.

Jon Stewart had a funny line last night about that.

I can't remember exactly what he said but it was something along the lines of, "although I might be racist, my wallet and my dick are not"
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

John Stewart had a funny line last night about that.

I can't remember exactly what he said but it was something along the lines of, "although I might be racist, my wallet and my dick are not"

Sounds a lot like a slave owner.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

An all white NBA league would be like watching a WNBA game but with less talent. No thanks.

3 pointers for days though if that's your thing.

too much like college b-ball

Posted · Report post

Were his statements bigoted or racist?

Posted · Report post

261yhk2.jpg

Posted · Report post

Doesn't hurt that he feels like he "owns" the players and coaches though, as made perfectly clear through his comments.