Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 'Dream Job' Cover Letter

38 posts in this topic

Posted

The OP was asking if he should mail a draft copy of his cover letter to the guy for his edits and inputs....which is a BAD idea.

Talking to the guy about the company and the position is fine.

I took that as he was asking if he should copy his competed application to the contact he already made in company, not really asking for any advice with it. I was just suggesting depending if he thinks he made a personal enough connection with the guy, maybe even ask him to look over his application before submitting, I mean if he ask the worst the guy can say is a polite NO. Also, I know it can come across as inexperience and possibly make a bad impression if it were for a regular position, but the fact this is for an internship, I would believe some asking for assistance would be more of the norm,

Posted

It's a full time paid internship.

Most internships are paid unless you're stupid enough to go to law school or want to go into politics.

I worked several internships and I never worked for free. My girlfriend made $20,000 in 3 month stretch over the summer working an internship when she was in college.

lol @ anyone that works for free.

I said internship vs paid job. I wasn't implying it wasn't paid, I was just pointing out the obvious experience differences between the applicant for an internship vs a normal salary position and how asking for assistance would be less taboo for the internship applicant

Posted

at most i would let him know when you submit your application and you can send him a hard copy as well.  i dont think that is too much but enough to let him tell the people on the lookout to give yours more consideration.  good luck.

Posted

I took that as he was asking if he should copy his competed application to the contact he already made in company, not really asking for any advice with it. I was just suggesting depending if he thinks he made a personal enough connection with the guy, maybe even ask him to look over his application before submitting, I mean if he ask the worst the guy can say is a polite NO. Also, I know it can come across as inexperience and possibly make a bad impression if it were for a regular position, but the fact this is for an internship, I would believe some asking for assistance would be more of the norm,

I read it that he was asking to send a draft to the guy for his input.

Based on your understanding, I would go with the following:

- Do NOT just mail a copy to him.  Call him and tell him how excited you are about the opportunity and the company.  Tell him that you understand that you understand an opportunity like this will be highly competetive and in demand.  As such, you would like to know if it would be OK to send him a copy of your application to ensure that it did not get buried in the pile of potential applicants.

If the guy is a nice guy, he will say sure.  Now, whether he actually does anything with it or not is up in the air....and I doubt he does anything with it.  But, it probably would not hurt.

1 person likes this

Posted

Somewhere in the cover letter should I mention this mutual contact I have with their company? 

Posted

welp didn't get the position I was hoping for....back to the grind

Posted

welp didn't get the position I was hoping for....back to the grind

Dang bro sorry to hear it. The grind is getting tiresome for sure. I know the feeling. It's just tough because my experience, education, and preferred career of choice is in such a niche market and the majority of those in my field are all former FBI, Secret Service, and police officers with 25+ years law enforcement experience and I'm a 24 year old kid just out of grad. school. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Somewhere in the cover letter should I mention this mutual contact I have with their company?

I would not "name drop" in the letter.

Posted

Dang bro sorry to hear it. The grind is getting tiresome for sure. I know the feeling. It's just tough because my experience, education, and preferred career of choice is in such a niche market and the majority of those in my field are all former FBI, Secret Service, and police officers with 25+ years law enforcement experience and I'm a 24 year old kid just out of grad. school. 

good luck to you Maine, I'm actually happy that I at least finally heard back it's definitely a weight off my shoulders. I'm strangely really positive and feel really optimistic about the future.  

Posted

Well you've already got a bit of a leg up if you know someone in the company, so that's good.

What Niner said may be true... I never read poo like that... but it won't hurt to write it anyway.

If it is for an internship they may. They presumably won't get as many applications for that.

When my company puts up job listings, we get several hundred applications. Nobody has the time to read everything people send over unless it is their full time job.

What I've always heard (and I believe it to be true) is that you should try to find "keywords" from the posting and incorporate them into your resume because these companies, especially the larger ones with more notoriety, use a computer app that screens the resumes as they come in by the hundreds. If these "keywords" from the posting aren't in an applicant's resume; then they can be quickly eliminated. It's simple and efficient. 

I'd be willing to bet that this also applies to a CL. 

Posted

Finished up what I believe to be a great draft of a cover letter...could be very close to the copy I will submit with my application. Would anyone in a position of management and hiring care to read it and let me know their thoughts or provide any advice? 

Keep in mind it is for a very unique position and the cover letter is pretty focussed on one individual position within a relatively small but powerful organization/company. I'll explain in a PM if someone wants to give it a read and let me know what they think. I essentially just used the opening paragraph to introduce myself and show that I did some basic research on the organization I am applying to, the second paragraph I used to list the experience I have in the field without just repeating what is on my resume and tied it into their job listing, and the third paragraph I just wrapped it up in a respectful and concise manner.

Posted

Bueller... Bueller... Anyone?