• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 Thorrez

Thorrez

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:09 AM

Also one more thing I forget to point out. When your LB runs a 4.4 40 and is faster then all of your DBs you don't need to run a nickel package as much. This guy is a sideline to sideline player and would be an absolute steal at pick 28.

Even with the same straight line speed, it takes longer to change direction at 238 than at 198. This is just physics. So no, you cannot player nickel in this league, with the quick Welker type slot receiver being the latest fashion, at that size.

#62 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,570 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:30 AM

So does the fanbase know that you can sign free agents after the draft?

We signed two players (Florence and Mikell) after the draft that eventually started for us, there are other ways to address needs than just the draft.

Unless we free up some money we cannot buy a hot dog and a drink.

#63 nagai

nagai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:16 AM

Shazier is an interesting one. Yes, Gettleman heavily favours BPA, but there is one caveat (if you listen carefully) -- that guy needs to be able to make a significant impact straight away. He's said that you should be drafting for starters in the first two rounds. Would Shazier be able to start? We spend 60% in the nickel, and no rookie's unseating TD or Kuechly. I like the way the OP's thinking -- there's no point flouting our arms thinking about what the panthers should do, because you're just bound to get upset. Trying to guess what they will do now, that seems more reasonable. I think it's obvious that Gettleman's serious with his BPA strategy; I just think that there are still small exceptions to the rule, and this is one of them.

#64 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:42 AM

We are not as set at OLB as we think.  Blackburn and Davis are probably in their last seasons here. We need depth.  I just do not see this happening.  Maybe an OLB next year, but this year is probably a WR or OT or even DE.

#65 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:43 AM

I think Godfrey will be cut, but I have been saying that for 2 years.

#66 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:20 AM

Yeah I mean the logic would be Shazier becomes a 22 year old Thomas Davis. With Kuechly, Star, Hardy* they form the best defense in league for next 10 years.

Make due at OL until next season if you can. That's the logic behind the pick IMO. He'll probably be gone before our pick so moot point anyway.

how many years do we have to keep on "making due" with the table scraps we can barely afford on positions of real and IMMEDIATE need while we overload on LBs and other areas we are stacked in. it's ridiculous how out of balance this team is becoming.

why can't we work on building up the offense to match the talent on defense?

if we did try and make due with the JAGs we tend to rely on for very important roles and hope build that area up next year, whose to say we won't find ourselves in this same situation where the BPA is another elite player at a position we are already stacked in. at some point you have to quit playing that game and get serious about building a great and balanced team. at some point you've got to realize that you are seriously handicapping this team by making yourself a idealogical slave to this whole bpa philosophy.

#67 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 5,831 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:31 AM

how many years do we have to keep on "making due" with the table scraps we can barely afford on positions of real and IMMEDIATE need while we overload on LBs and other areas we are stacked in. it's ridiculous how out of balance this team is becoming.

why can't we work on building up the offense to match the talent on defense?

if we did try and make due with the JAGs we tend to rely on for very important roles and hope build that area up next year, whose to say we won't find ourselves in this same situation where the BPA is another elite player at a position we are already stacked in. at some point you have to quit playing that game and get serious about building a great and balanced team. at some point you've got to realize that you are seriously handicapping this team by making yourself a idealogical slave to this whole bpa philosophy.

When we are out of Hurney's cap hell.

#68 Ruff

Ruff

Formerly Know As RufftownRepresent

• HUDDLER
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:52 AM

So, you're telling us who the BPA without knowing who's available? Ok.

#69 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 11,972 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:25 AM

Think we'd get our choice up to the podium faster or slower than we did with Star?   :P

Faster. The rep at the Draft probably wouldn't even wait to talk to Gettleman. He would just write the name walk up there like a baller, announce the choice himself and drop the mic...

#70 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 11,972 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

Can we stop this insane talk of drafting players we don't need.

Can we stop this insane talk of only looking at picks in a 2014 vacuum?

#71 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,616 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:19 AM

Well if that certain someone said we should draft Keuchly. Which btw was who I wanted us to draft in 2012. I think its a good idea. Shazier would make a bigger impact than a late 1st round grade WR. We are a hard hitting defensive team. our own coach used to play linebacker in the NFL for a superbowl winning team. He could coach this kid up to be great, He already has that killer instinct like Keuchly.

Yea and remember that one year I said draft cam newton and we did and he was one of the best players we ever picked, so let's take a quarterback this year

Just remember defense wins championships, not #1 WRs.(see megatron)

bruh I'm gonna parrot football cliches to make my point bruh defense wins championships bruh and drafting a WR means you can't have a good defense bruh

gottagofast-770x472.jpg

#72 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,668 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:26 AM

Please get here soon, draft. Tired of speculation and baseless conjecture.

#73 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,448 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:08 AM

Someone pointed out that we have close to $5 mil in cap space and at this point some of these players aren't in the scenario where they can turn down money.

#74 Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

I was sold on this.  Then I started thinking.  Why is a 250 lb who ran a 4.36 40 at the combine

not being considered in the top 20?

I'm guessing his instincts, etc.  Now I'm a little worried about him.

But the thought of a young Thomas Davis next to Luke is nice, especially since

Davis is getting VERY expensive in the near future.

#75 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:34 AM

he would have to be much better than the best T, WR or CB on the board but i wouldnt be shocked or mad if he was our choice.  after last year, our offense certainly needs some help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.