Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Panthers director of college scouting Don Gregory believes "capable" starting receivers can be as found as late as the fourth round

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,022 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:20 AM

Panthers director of college scouting Don Gregory believes "capable" starting receivers can be as found as late as the fourth round in this draft.

"If you do your homework you can find that type of guy in the fourth round," said Gregory. Senior Bowl director Phil Savage, the former Browns' GM, agrees. We're not pretending that Carolina is telegraphing its draft plans, but this is one of the reasons we don't expect the Panthers to use the No. 28 overall pick at wide receiver. The offensive line class isn't anywhere near as deep.

per rotoworld.com

Discuss...

#2 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,817 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:31 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

he's right, but that's no reason to not draft a better WR prospect earlier. this is a great class to double down on WRs and knowing that we can find solid quality in the fourth makes me feel good about the second pick we use on one.

#3 0115

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:37 AM

Watch out for DE or DB.

#4 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,475 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:40 AM

I just don't think Moses at 28 is a reach. If this WR class is 4 rounds deep like he's saying then we have to use the first pick to strengthen our oline.

#5 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,353 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:44 AM

If it isn't one of the top three OT's then I wouldn't use the 28th pick on them.

Only three OT's even close to a first round grade for me.

There's about 7-8 wr's worth a first round pick.

#6 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,475 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:49 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

On paper right now our oline is a laughing stock. We are hoping to find guys that can play tackle from a group of undrafted players. How you can have a franchise QB yet neglect the oline just doesn't make sense to me. It's cliche to say but it doesn't matter who the WRs are if Cam is getting blasted in the face by a DE.

#7 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,583 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:52 AM

It is restating the obvious and that is this is a deep wr class.

#8 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,353 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:54 AM

On paper right now our oline is a laughing stock. We are hoping to find guys that can play tackle from a group of undrafted players. How you can have a franchise QB yet neglect the oline just doesn't make sense to me. It's cliche to say but it doesn't matter who the WRs are if Cam is getting blasted in the face by a DE.

If the wr's can't get open, it doesn't matter who you have at oline either. It goes both ways . There just isn't going to be a day one starting Lt available at 28th. Bell is going to be the LT this season.

#9 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,583 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:00 AM

Realistically I think we have to pick a an OT that can start but that is just me. 

#10 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:06 AM

If a 4th round rookie WR starts for your team... then welp.

#11 section543

section543

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:07 AM

Wouldn't surprise me Fuller, Gilbert, or Shazier is our pick at 28. We always assume top draft guys are better than who we have or is available as FA. Our FO may deem OTs available as projects and see defensive players as immediate starters.

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

#12 Mighty Mite

Mighty Mite

H.O.F Cats Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • LocationThe Dragons Nation

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:35 AM

Sounds like we will draft a OT in the first.

#13 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:42 AM

This doesnt mean much or tell us anything. But if that is the case, go defense first round preferably secondary. DO NOT reach for a OT. I have said before we are not a team that should sit back and wait just because of a deep WR class we dont have a legitimate number 1 WR or number 2. I just cant see how the first 3 picks wont be used on WRs and OTs.

#14 updownsigma

updownsigma

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationDurham

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:46 AM

Yeah, and I'm sure Adams, Pilares, Edwards, and Gettis agree with him, there are always lots of quality mid round WRs.

Jokes aside though, I don't think the philosophy of drafting project WRs mid round every year is a good one obviously. We need a guy with 1st round talent at some point. That being said, the thought of going the 1st 2 rounds without drafting an OT this year scares me. There is a big drop off after that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#15 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,500 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:49 AM

If there is a potential #1 WR there at 28 you take him.

I am cool with a TE, WR, or OL a D pick will annoy me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.