Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charles Johnson's Last Year?

30 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

cut CJ next year and we save something like $11M

This and we get younger.  CJ will be the odd man out.  DG is taking a page from the Giants.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Maybe, maybe not. May be able to keep Hardy, but this gives us options and not make a Gurney panic overpay contract or keep bad contract

Posted · Report post

why are we so quick to show CJ and Hardy the door for some kid that has not even played a down in the NFL yet. right now Ealy is a insurance policy

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

With the semi-surprise pick of Kony Ealy, does this pick spell the end of Charles Johnson. Couple thoughts come to mind about CJ.

1. Not Gettlemen's contract

2. Older than Hardy

3. Knee injury

4. Contract Causes Cap Crampness (CCCC) Yes I made that word up!

I am a big supporter of Charles Johnson. Hell I wanted him in the 2nd rd, the year he came out. But could he be cut after this season?

My Question, to those who follow the cap numbers closely, what are the ramifications of cutting CJ next year?  I would hate to see this, just trying to make more since than just BPA. 

if he stays this year, he counts 16mil against the cap.  the following year about 12..  so if he stays this year then II don't see him getting cut when we'll gain 4mil.  He's worth it at that rate.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

CJ is a goner...  I figured that when DG refused to restructure his contract.

Posted · Report post

why are we so quick to show CJ and Hardy the door for some kid that has not even played a down in the NFL yet. right now Ealy is a insurance policy

Because the amount of money tied up in those two is/will be absurd. Not saying that I think it is the right move though

Posted · Report post

CJ is a goner...  I figured that when DG refused to restructure his contract.

we're going to save money next year so I'm thinking Gettleman didn't want to cost himself more by restructuring..

Posted · Report post

Gettleman has not yet spoken. The insolence of your assumptions to his motives has been noted and will be dealt with at a later date.

That is all

Posted · Report post

I thought even if we cut him next year we'd be left with a lot of dead money? If we can clear several million off the cap though I'd be all for it. He had played well, but never in the 15+ sack per year range that his contract warrants (coincidentally the range that Hardy is approaching).

Bottom line, if Ealy or Alexander steps up, I'd be all for trading or cutting Big Money to make room for Cam's (hopefully under 15 mil/year) and Luke's contracts.

15 million a year for Cam is wishful thinking. Have you seen the contracts of Detroit's and Chicago's quarterback? Everything else you said is dead on though.

CJ was well on his way to 15 sacks before getting leg whipped. He was slower of the edge after he returned. Probably because he was only about 80 % and wanted to help the team. CJ at 80 % is better than our 2013 defensive end group outside of Hardy.

Posted · Report post

If we had cut Charles Johnson this year it would count 16 million against the cap.  Keeping him cost about the same.

Next year he counts 17 million against the cap if we keep him.  No way on earth are we paying him 17 million next year.  If we cut him it'll be 6 million in dead money and we save 11 million.

There's the math.  Now, you make the call!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I think it boils down to whether or not Hardy signs a LTC or not...