Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carolina Panthers 2 Key Things Regarding Kony Ealy

94 posts in this topic

Posted

Here's the thing about it.

DE may be a need NEXT year... but CB is a need THIS year.

Posted

I like Ealy a lot in the 2nd round and am pleased to have him in our team. WITH THAT BEING SAID, we probably should've taken Morgan Moses. He was also a first round talent, and unlike Ealy, I would have been happy with us taking him in the 1st round. He fell to us in the 2nd round, and IMO his level of talent + His filling of a position of strong need = the best possible pick at 60.

However, Ealy could help save us 10+ million dollars so.....

I've seen several sources that said the Panthers did not like Moses at all. Voth said it several times. Wonder what they saw when they vetted him.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Posted

You can rationalize it however you want, nothing changes the fact that we drafted a backup in the second round when we need starters.

Posted

You can rationalize it however you want, nothing changes the fact that we drafted a backup in the second round when we need starters.

We drafted a starter for the 2015 season.   

Posted

We drafted a starter for the 2015 season.

Maybe, who's to say we won't still have CJ and Hardy next season? Too bad he's not a starter for the 2014 season, which is what we need.

1 person likes this

Posted

Maybe, who's to say we won't still have CJ and Hardy next season? Too bad he's not a starter for the 2014 season, which is what we need.

Has there ever been a rookie DE that was a starter in there first year?  I know what you are getting at you would rather have a starting rookie WR or OT.

Posted

Has there ever been a rookie DE that was a starter in there first year? I know what you are getting at you would rather have a starting rookie WR or OT.

He won't start on our line unless some crazy poo goes down. OT would be nice, but heck ANY position with a chance to even push for a starting job.

Posted

I dont think so.  Cap savings is to big not to cut him after this season.  Hardy will get his deal any way after the season. 

True, it will be a huge cap savings if we cut CJ. But I think that depends on Hardy signing an LTC. Although you said that you don't agree but you also said that Hardy will get his deal any way after the season.

Posted

i understood that was too much talent to pass up, but how many teams passed on him twice?

i understand that it gives us leverage and options in dealing with DEs that take up WAAAAAAYYYY too much cap space, but we still have old and slow DBs and poo at OT on either side. i want to know what he plans on doing there that doesn't end up with JAG scrubs starting for us, esp. at OT that is kinda important.

Posted

I'm OK with the pick. In my simple mind at least, it's a franchise building pick but not necessarily a 2014 team pick. If all goes well, it's the type of pick that leads to multiple winning seasons even when you lose players due to cap savings and fa.

Posted

If this was a Marty Hurney draft/offseason I'd be more worried than I am. First of all Hurney would pick "BPA" over need outsmarting the fans, experts and himself. Gettleman has addressed the historic Panther weaknesses, or at least he's trying.

I see this roster shaping up and I'm starting to like what I see. We now have a little cash for a free agent or two on OL or secondary. Not worried at all. I understand the concern though.

Posted

Moses plays to high for a guy his size. I don't see him doing much in the league, I'm glad we passed in him, was never a fan

If Easy pans out it will be the best pick of the draft just because pass rushers are so valuable.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

1 person likes this