93 replies to this topic

#31 Rules&Regulations

Rules&Regulations

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:15 AM

Has there ever been a rookie DE that was a starter in there first year? I know what you are getting at you would rather have a starting rookie WR or OT.

He won't start on our line unless some crazy poo goes down. OT would be nice, but heck ANY position with a chance to even push for a starting job.

#32 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

I dont think so.  Cap savings is to big not to cut him after this season.  Hardy will get his deal any way after the season. 

True, it will be a huge cap savings if we cut CJ. But I think that depends on Hardy signing an LTC. Although you said that you don't agree but you also said that Hardy will get his deal any way after the season.

#33 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,776 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

i understood that was too much talent to pass up, but how many teams passed on him twice?

i understand that it gives us leverage and options in dealing with DEs that take up WAAAAAAYYYY too much cap space, but we still have old and slow DBs and poo at OT on either side. i want to know what he plans on doing there that doesn't end up with JAG scrubs starting for us, esp. at OT that is kinda important.

#34 Cj72

Cj72

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

I'm OK with the pick. In my simple mind at least, it's a franchise building pick but not necessarily a 2014 team pick. If all goes well, it's the type of pick that leads to multiple winning seasons even when you lose players due to cap savings and fa.

#35 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:14 AM

If this was a Marty Hurney draft/offseason I'd be more worried than I am. First of all Hurney would pick "BPA" over need outsmarting the fans, experts and himself. Gettleman has addressed the historic Panther weaknesses, or at least he's trying.

I see this roster shaping up and I'm starting to like what I see. We now have a little cash for a free agent or two on OL or secondary. Not worried at all. I understand the concern though.

#36 DoubleTrouble34

DoubleTrouble34

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:24 AM

Moses plays to high for a guy his size. I don't see him doing much in the league, I'm glad we passed in him, was never a fan

If Easy pans out it will be the best pick of the draft just because pass rushers are so valuable.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

#37 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:25 AM

He won't start on our line unless some crazy poo goes down. OT would be nice, but heck ANY position with a chance to even push for a starting job.

Do u even watch the panthers? Do u not notice how frequently we rotate guys on the dl? He may not be depthed as a starter but he will play plenty of snaps.

Its also possible hes actually better than cj and hardy and earns a starting spot. (As unlikely that sounds, the possibility exists).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#38 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:33 AM

If this was a Marty Hurney draft/offseason I'd be more worried than I am. First of all Hurney would pick "BPA" over need outsmarting the fans, experts and himself. Gettleman has addressed the historic Panther weaknesses, or at least he's trying.

I see this roster shaping up and I'm starting to like what I see. We now have a little cash for a free agent or two on OL or secondary. Not worried at all. I understand the concern though.

I think ur confusing gms. Our hurney drafts were always highly coveted by the media and we always went for need. Keary colbert, corvey irvin, terrell mcclain, ae, fua, josh norman.. all were picks to address needs and all were pretty darn worthless.

#39 CelticCat

CelticCat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

Mizzou has been pumping out some NFL talent on the Dline of late too, so he has that going for him.

Not the fastest guy in the 40 but he's quicker over a shorter area with a great 3 cone. Which one is more indicative of a DE?

#40 Rules&Regulations

Rules&Regulations

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

Do u even watch the panthers? Do u not notice how frequently we rotate guys on the dl? He may not be depthed as a starter but he will play plenty of snaps.

Its also possible hes actually better than cj and hardy and earns a starting spot. (As unlikely that sounds, the possibility exists).

No, that's really not possible because 1. CJ and Hardy are both very very good and I can say with supreme confidence they're way better than any second round rookie, and 2. We're paying them both a boatload of money.

But I guess since I don't believe in drafting rotational backups in the second round when our franchise QB has been all but neglected for 3 years, that means I don't watch.

Again, you can rationalize it however you want, I never said he wouldn't see snaps. We drafted a backup with no chance to push for a starting job in the second round.

#41 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• HUDDLER
  • 6,610 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:42 AM

Considering Kony Ealy is the most badass name we've had on this team for a while, I can accept this pick.

#42 TheJason

TheJason

Black & Blue in The Bay

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • LocationLivermore

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:43 AM

Has there ever been a rookie DE that was a starter in there first year? I know what you are getting at you would rather have a starting rookie WR or OT.

Yes. Usually you need to draft them top two picks though.

#43 CelticCat

CelticCat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

Moses plays to high for a guy his size. I don't see him doing much in the league, I'm glad we passed in him, was never a fan

If Easy pans out it will be the best pick of the draft just because pass rushers are so valuable.

I still like Moses, it'll be interesting to see how these picks pan out. Polian did note he had 2 major flaws, played high in the run game and he was a waist bender in the passing game, he called them serious flaws that needed to be fixed for him to succeed.

However, Polian also drafted Collins, Biakabatuka and Carruth as 1st rounders for Carolina so its not like he never gets it wrong.

#44 DoubleTrouble34

DoubleTrouble34

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

I still like Moses, it'll be interesting to see how these picks pan out. Polian did note he had 2 major flaws, played high in the run game and he was a waist bender in the passing game, he called them serious flaws that needed to be fixed for him to succeed.

However, Polian also drafted Collins, Biakabatuka and Carruth as 1st rounders for Carolina so its not like he never gets it wrong.

True, but there has to be a major reason why a guy of his size fell that far when some regarded him as a late 1st rounder. I even heard we had 0 interest in Moses, sort of a red flag since you know we evaluated him thoroughly. Like you said, it'll be interesting to see how these picks pan out in the near future. Hopefully We'll be on the better end.

#45 gmonjimbo

gmonjimbo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

Since I cant edit.

CJ contract next year is 17.4

If we cut him dead money is 6 million

saves us 11.4 million  to cut him.

Like someone said. He might as well put his home for sale. Unless he takes a huge pay cut.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers, Kony Ealy, NFL Draft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.