33 replies to this topic

#1 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:16 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

Sometimes it takes some digging to find the motivation behind draft picks. Sometimes it is completely obvious.

The Carolina Panthers selection of Trai Turner in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft is a no brainer.

One of the biggest flaws of the Panthers offense last season was a lack of push at the point of contact. The offensive line struggled all season to move the chains on short distances. Hampered by injuries and mediocre offensive guard talent at best, they failed to move the chains in the running game.

So when Trai Turner, who Mel Kiper labeled as one of the best under the radar players in the draft, was still available in the third round for the Panthers the selection was possibly the easiest of the draft so far. 

Turner has work to do and much to learn, but at a hog mollyish 6'3 and 310lbs he can do one thing for the Panthers immediately. He can pave the road for Williams and Stewart. While Turner struggled at times at LSU in pass protection, he excelled in run blocking. Scouts praise his ability to get push off the line and finish his blocks with the defenders on the ground. He also showed the ability to find linebackers after his first blocks are finished, something the guards last season were rarely able to accomplish. The result could be more reliable 4-5 yard runs and sustained drives.

You would be hard pressed to find anyone that watched the Panthers play last year that would disagree with this pick. He could very well start immediately, which is a rare find in the third round.

#2 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:27 AM

Great pick! But what running back?

I was not be surprised if we go Kadeem Carey in the 4th if available. Would be tremendous value.

#3 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,328 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:28 AM

A running game to take pressure off Cam and our WR's, this can be good...

#4 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,819 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:33 AM

See a run blocking WR drafted a guard thats great at run block and DE that can get pressure.  Yeah we will be running the ball alot this season.

#5 Beast_3000

Beast_3000

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:37 AM

Yeah I will be honest I had to do some research on him to see who he was. I was impressed. Now all 3 of our interior line men can pull. Amini, Kalil, and Turner will hopefully ease the fact that half of our receiver core is unproven.

I still believe teams will challenge us with 8 in the box so we will have to prove ourselves early as an efficient offensive team in the passing attack as well as the run game. Taking a look at who we have at guard I believe he will be given every opportunity to play right away.

#6 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,852 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:29 AM

Doesn't say much about Kugbila.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

#7 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,308 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:34 AM

Making the run game catch fire again seems to be the direction.

The first thing gman said about drafting KB was that 8 in the box would go away because of the monster WR we just drafted.

#8 rhyslloyd

rhyslloyd

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:44 AM

He's still on the team? I've said it multiple times: I'll be shocked if Kugbila sees the field.

#9 toldozer

toldozer

finally someone fatter than Alice

• HUDDLER
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:06 AM

He was a tackle coming out. If they think bell can play left maybe they believe he can play right.

#10 ncfan

ncfan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationKey West, FL

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:18 AM

He was a tackle coming out. If they think bell can play left maybe they believe he can play right.

If he could pan out to be a road grading RT, that will be a lot of Beef on that right side

#11 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,549 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:53 AM

This kid has also played against real competition unlike Kugbila and Silatolu before him. His learning curve will be shorter.

#12 XClown1986

XClown1986

I'm a good clown

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:54 AM

RG has been a sore spot for the offensive line for awhile. This is a good pick.

#13 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,549 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:54 AM

In addition, Mayock commented that if Trai would have waited and entered the draft next year, he would have been a first round pick.

#14 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,763 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

Ellington and Desir were still on the board. Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, and ASJ are now in our div. Ive never even heard of this guy. Just sayin

#15 countryboi

countryboi

• HUDDLER
  • 2,411 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC born and raised

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:32 AM

In addition, Mayock commented that if Trai would have waited and entered the draft next year, he would have been a first round pick.

I remember espn saying something simliar like turner was raw and should have stayed another year because he would have been a early 2rd

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers, NFL Draft, Trai Turner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com