Photo
- - - - -

Ealy vs. Sam: No contest for G-man (David Newton's latest)

David Newon Kony Ealy Michael Sam

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#1 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,576 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

For those wondering why Kony Ealy was so prized in this draft while Sam not so much, David Newton's latest article gives you a picture of the mindset of Dave Gettleman, who just may covet versatility on his defensive line more than most.

So why was there so much disparity between the players in the draft? For the Panthers, it came down to two things. They viewed Ealy as more valuable because he could play end as well as tackle, because at 6-foot-4 and 273 pounds he was ideally suited to fit into their 4-3 scheme. 

Gettleman gave a "shout out" to John Fox as well.

"John Fox taught me this when I was with the Giants," Gettleman said. "One of the biggest mismatches in the game is those very real sudden quick guys inside against the hog mollies [his name for big linemen]. They struggle to get their gloves on them. 

"Kony goes in there and he's very comfortable. He played inside against big guys in the SEC and it was never too big for him. Someone made the argument he was just as productive in the three technique as he was inside. That's a huge value. Sam doesn't have that. Sam is more of a 3-4 outside guy." 

Ealy is comfortable inside. When I asked him where he was best, he didn't hesitate. 

"I'm comfortable anywhere they put me on the defensive line," he said. 

This gives you a further understanding as to why G-man couldn't pass on Ealy when the productive DE fell to the 60th pick.

G-man knows what he has in Ealy, Ealy is up to the challenge, and G-man has fairly immediate and high expectations for the rookie.

"He's going to be in the rotation really quick," Gettleman said. "We really vetted him out."

#2 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,631 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:42 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

And we also don't have to worry about Ealy having his own fuging reality show during OTAs and training camp.

#3 Beast_3000

Beast_3000

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

That reality show thing is a very bad move. This is something he should set up after the season in my opinion. As a seventh round pick he doesn't know if he will fulfill his lifelong dream and he has a reality show? Priorities aren't all in place for this young man.

As for Ealy I think he will be very productive for us.

#4 thomas96

thomas96

DIZZY

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:52 PM

That's one of the most ridiculous fuging comparisons I've ever seen. Sam is a talent that shouldn't be drafted and only was because he is gay. Ealy is a legitimate first round talent. Who the fug would even try to compare them?

#5 smash_n_dash

smash_n_dash

Double Trouble

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:52 PM

That reality show thing is a very bad move. This is something he should set up after the season in my opinion. As a seventh round pick he doesn't know if he will fulfill his lifelong dream and he has a reality show? Priorities aren't all in place for this young man.

As for Ealy I think he will be very productive for us.

I just heard the reality show is being postponed.

Sent from my iPhone.

#6 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 5,178 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:53 PM

The reality show is a terrible move. He's a 7th round pick fighting for a roster spot. I was really rooting for the kid because it really seemed like he was trying to downplay the whole gay angle and wanting to just concentrate on football. Looks like that has changed.

As far as Ealy goes, I said it when he was drafted, Gettleman sees another Justin Tuck in this kid. Call him a DE, call him a DT, jusT put him in and let him make plays.

#7 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,576 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

That's one of the most ridiculous fuging comparisons I've ever seen. Sam is a talent that shouldn't be drafted and only was because he is gay. Ealy is a legitimate first round talent. Who the fug would even try to compare them?

I am sure that many people all across the country, especially casual football fans, have wondered why Ealy was drafted higher than Sam, being that they played on the same team and Sam had more sacks and tackles for a loss.  Newton's article offers an honest and concise answer.

It's not so much a comparison as it is an explanation, so I don't see it being "ridiculous" at all. 

#8 EMSMedic79

EMSMedic79

Member since 2005

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  • LocationOn the Water

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

I have a good feeling about Ealy. Much of the same feeling I had about Charles Johnson when we drafted him. Ealy will have the same opportunity to learn behind some good veterans and develop on the line.

Edited by EMSMedic79, 16 May 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#9 mc52beast

mc52beast

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:37 PM

The whole Sam getting drafted thing was set-up from the get-go... anyone who was watching when they called his name saw Trey Wingo discussing how this Rams pick could be for Michael Sam, and how they panned to the guy on stage when the announcement was being made...

This was reality television NFL style

#10 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,118 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

Well this thread is going places already I see. Typical.

#11 thomas96

thomas96

DIZZY

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:49 PM

I am sure that many people all across the country, especially casual football fans, have wondered why Ealy was drafted higher than Sam, being that they played on the same team and Sam had more sacks and tackles for a loss. Newton's article offers an honest and concise answer.

It's not so much a comparison as it is an explanation, so I don't see it being "ridiculous" at all.

Fair enough, but anyone who actually watched the two play closely could tell Ealy is a better player.

#12 Draconus

Draconus

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

Because Michael Sam isn't that good, and the fact he's on NFL Network and ESPN every single day is starting to piss me off. Sam only put up good numbers because Ealy was usually commanding double and triple teams.  His athleticism is piss poor and not even really at D1 level, let alone NFL level.  Definitely have 0 problem with him being gay, or gay players in the NFL, but the fact he secretly agreed to a documentary before the draft without asking teams, the fact he's had his own press conferences, and the fact he's a top story for weeks now, it's really getting old.

#13 BeasonBeastingBacks

BeasonBeastingBacks

Farewell Sweet Prince

• HUDDLER
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:04 PM

So you're telling me we drafted a guy who was projected as a late 1st/early 2nd 4-3 DE that can also play inside over a guy who was slotted to go in the later rounds as a 3-4 rush OLB?

fuging amazing.

#14 xclr82xtc

xclr82xtc

Battle of the Cats Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:08 PM

that st louis fairy will be out the league in 2 seasons..

next story

#15 Jangler

Jangler

that funky feeling to get you through

• HUDDLER
  • 47,841 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:38 PM

nice

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: David Newon, Kony Ealy, Michael Sam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com