• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Zithers

Zithers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:00 AM

First, read this if you haven't already.

http://www.footballp...eve-smith-post/

Lots of great stuff. I decided to double check the numbers about the 2005-08 stretch with Delhomme and didn't exactly match up, but here's what he had over three 16 game stretches (including playoffs and not counting the 3rd game of the 2007 season when Delhomme got hurt):

2005 regular season (16)

Rec: 103/1563/12 (15.2 ypc) 2 fumbles
Rush: 4/25/1
KR: 3/61/0
PR: 27/286/0

2005 playoffs (3), 2006 regular season (13)
Rec: 93/1293/9 (13.9 ypc) 2 fumbles
Rush: 11/104/2
KR: 2/-1/0
PR: 9/77/1

2007 (first two) and 2008 regular season (14)
Rec: 93/1692/10 (18.2 ypc) 1 fumble
Rush: 6/42/0
KR: n/a
PR: 1/10/0

That's a pretty remarkable three season stretch of 289/4548/31. For perspective, from 2011 through 2013, when it's been easier to pass, the following players top him (regular season only):

Receptions: Wes Welker (313), Calvin Johnson (302), Brandon Marshall (299)
Yards: Calvin Johnson (5137)
TDs: Jimmy Graham (36), Dez Bryant (34), Calvin Johnson (34), Eric Decker & Rob Gronkowski (32)

And most of these players are on teams where they love throwing the ball. For more perspective, Delhomme had 1,438 attempts in those 48 games (giving Smitty a whopping 3.16 yards per attempt)... Matt Stafford had 1,406 attempts alone in 2011 and 2012. I'm guessing Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Tony Romo also all had a much larger amount of attempts than the John Fox offenses did.

So yeah, Smitty being a baller isn't new to any of you, but I found that blog and felt like digging a bit deeper into it since I have no life and felt like sharing!!! Almost have to root for Baltimore to get him to a Super Bowl and feed him the ball so he can win MVP and make a stronger case for the Hall. Ugh.

#2 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:04 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

Thanks for the info. I am more looking forward to this season and the new blood we have than looking to the past.

No way am I rooting for Baltimore.

#3 Beast_3000

Beast_3000

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:18 AM

We will probably be run heavy again this year. Our receivers will have to keep the safeties out of the box. We can and will still win this year because of our freakish defense.

#4 Simon Says

Simon Says

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:22 AM

He'll be lucky to put up 50 Rec 600 Yd this season. Davis and/or Kuechly will annihilate him if he goes over the middle.

This ain't 2005.

#5 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,419 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:27 AM

Root for Baltimore? What the....?

#6 Zithers

Zithers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:31 AM

We will probably be run heavy again this year. Our receivers will have to keep the safeties out of the box. We can and will still win this year because of our freakish defense.

I hope so. Offense always looks better when we're running and doing play action.

He'll be lucky to put up 50 Rec 600 Yd this season. Davis and/or Kuechly will annihilate him if he goes over the middle.

This ain't 2005.

K. I don't really get what this has to do with him balling out five years ago which is what the thread is about. 

Root for Baltimore? What the....?

You bet your ass I'm rooting for Baltimore. Only way I'm not is if they're up against Carolina. Are you people this bitter towards the guy?

#7 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,419 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:36 AM

I hope so. Offense always looks better when we're running and doing play action.

K. I don't really get what this has to do with him balling out five years ago which is what the thread is about.

You bet your ass I'm rooting for Baltimore. Only way I'm not is if they're up against Carolina. Are you people this bitter towards the guy?

I have zero hard feelings towards Smitty. Quite the opposite, actually. I just choose to root for one team only. Guess I'm old fashioned...or just loyal.

#8 Zithers

Zithers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:39 AM

It's not like I'm actively following them. I'll check the scoreboard and be like "Sweet, Ravens won."

#9 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:51 AM

Bitter? No

Indifferent, Yes.

I am a Panthers fan. He is no longer a Panther.

Therefore, I don't care about his new team or his performance this season.

#10 Zithers

Zithers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:53 AM

Cold.

#11 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,419 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:53 AM

It's not like I'm actively following them. I'll check the scoreboard and be like "Sweet, Ravens won."

So you would check the scoreboard and be happy the Ravens won without knowing any of Smitty's stats for the game? Yeah...not me.

#12 Navy_football

Navy_football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:58 AM

Not rooting for Bmore, but I will be keeping an eye on how Smitty is doing. 

I don't think some realize how much of an anomaly he was. There is no way he should have been able to do what he did at his size in this sport. No way. And his best years were during a time when DBs could actually hit WRs after the catch, and bump them off the line. 

We may never see another like him - ever. Glitch in the Matrix.

#13 Zithers

Zithers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:05 AM

So you would check the scoreboard and be happy the Ravens won without knowing any of Smitty's stats for the game? Yeah...not me.

uh huh. the point i made in the OP was more about him putting up big numbers in the super bowl. he doesn't need more regular season stats. he's pretty much a lock for top 15 in catches and yards by the time he retires.

#14 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,419 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:12 AM

uh huh. the point i made in the OP was more about him putting up big numbers in the super bowl. he doesn't need more regular season stats. he's pretty much a lock for top 15 in catches and yards by the time he retires.

I would love for him to make the HOF. It would be great to tailgate in Canton. But if the expense is having to root for a team other than the Panthers, it's not worth it.

If Smitty went to a NFC team would you be rooting for him to get to the Super Bowl? If he went to the Cowboys would you be rooting for him?

#15 BettyBangzer

BettyBangzer

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationYour butt.

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:13 AM

If the Ravens win the Superbowl Steve Smith won't be MVP. He's not even their #1 reciever. It's not 2005 anymore, he's on his way out of the leauge. He'll be a role player at best in Baltimore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com