Photo
- - - - -

Revisiting Our O-line: What are we working with?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:22 PM

Here's a list of OTs currently on the roster.....

Byron Bell

Travis Bond

Nate Chandler

Kevin Hughes

Oscar Johnson

Andrew McDonald

Garry Williams

David Foucault

Of course, most of these guys are just camp fodder, however unless the Panthers bring in some more guys through roster cuts and so forth (highly probable), we must find a diamond in the rough to be our LT.  So out of these guys, who do yall think will win the spot for LT?

I've been looking at some youtube highlight vids to see who might be best for the job.  I first looked to see if I could find anything on Bell, to see if he has the skill necessary to at least be average for us.  I found this critique of his game...

Bell may have some strength, but his technique stinks.  If he's falling back that far that tells me he doesn't trust his athleticism to handle a speed rusher.  Speed rushers are more famous for playing on the RE, attacking the blindside of most QBs.  With that said, there's no way I want Bell at Cam's blindside.  In a perfect world, Bell would be a back up on this team.

So who's next?  Nate Chandler perhaps?  I couldn't find any good video on him, but we're all familiar with his performance as our starting G.  He did a bang up job overall, nothing spectacular.  During the preseason, he stood out a bit at the LT position.  Even though he was playing against 3rd and 4th string guys, he fared well.  He is better at the OT spot than working on the inside against bigger DTs.  I'm interested in Nate at OT.

One guy I looked at that could be a dark horse, is Kevin Hughes.  He seems to be athletic enough to handle the job.  You would probably have to throw in a TE on his side if the opposition overloads there, but it seems Hughes specialty is locking on to his man and go pound for pound with him.  Take a look at his work...

So out of this group, I'm looking for Nate Chandler or Kevin Hughes to take the LT spot.  I'll be watching these guys during pre-season.

Edited by Matthias, 17 May 2014 - 06:37 PM.

#2 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:25 PM

Wonder if bond could win the RT job, played a bit at UNC because of the oft injured Brennan Williams

#3 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,545 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:33 PM

Chandler is the best option at LT. I don't see Bell even challenging him tbh. I think Chandler's closest competition will be Andrew Norwell or Andrew McDonald since they are the next best options who have actually played the positions. I doubt we would move Amini even if injuries happen.

#4 gmonjimbo

gmonjimbo

• ALL-PRO
  • 308 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

Chandler. He probably has the most upside. Going to look at 2015 mock drafts for OTs now.

#5 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:46 PM

Rewatching passed games i too noticed that a lot about Bell, when the ball is snapped he is already backed up into Cam. Thats just not gonna work for a LT and him being left handed doesnt really help in anyway. I hope Chandler can win the job and one of those other guys step up and be a solid RT.

#6 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

I would like to see Travis Bond make a push for the RT spot.  We need someone who can generate a push for our run game.  I'm interested to see if he can compete or is he just another name on the roster.  Again as for the LT, Chandler probably should be the favorite out of this group.  Yet I'm afraid with this coaching staff, they will show favoritism over Bell.  In all reality, he shouldn't have been our starter for the last two seasons.  I could understand his rookie year, him coming in as a result of injuries and/or bad play.  Otah of course was our starter before him, but due injuries he never return to playing shape.  So with that, we had two years to properly replace Otah, and now we still have Bell looking to start for us here in year four?  Come on man!  This tells me that there must be some hope this staff have for Bell.  To develop into something he's not.  So even though Chandler should be the favorite, don't be surprised if Bell is your starting LT week one.  I hope I'm wrong, and this is an honest open competition.  Also, Kevin Hughes has some experience.  He played in three games for the Rams his rookie year.  I want to see him in the preseason for us.

#7 PantherFanOne

PantherFanOne

• HUDDLER
  • 2,180 posts
  • LocationRock Hill S.C.

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

Out of the group the OP listed I would rate Nate Chandler #1 followed by # 2 Kevin Hughes. I am just not sold on the idea of Bell being our starting LT.

#8 CPantherKing

CPantherKing

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:22 PM

If healthy, Kugbila can get a chance at LT.

Kugbila and Chandler at Tackles, Silatolu and Turner at Guards, and Kalil at Center.

#9 Panthercock

Panthercock

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:23 PM

Bell will play LT. The more you accept this, the easier it will be when it happens.

#10 panthers90

panthers90

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationFremont, CA

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:24 PM

Why is no one mentioning the fact that Bell is left-handed? 

#11 shelbypanther

shelbypanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

To answer the topic......very little at tackle or guard.  It will be a miracle if Cam doesn't get hurt this fall.

#12 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,545 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:53 PM

Bell will play LT. The more you accept this, the easier it will be when it happens.

I don't see how when Chandler was the primary backup to Gross.

#13 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,545 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:53 PM

To answer the topic......very little at tackle or guard.  It will be a miracle if Cam doesn't get hurt this fall.

Our guards are fine.

#14 IGSaint

IGSaint

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

Our guards are fine.

Turner will be fine but I'm worried about how will silatolu return after his injury. 

#15 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,878 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:54 PM

Center, Guards, all fine. As long as they are healthy. That injury bug needs to bug off. 

I hope David Foucault wins the job. He has the size and nimble feet you need. I think everyone is over looking him. Despite of the competition he had to face in Canada. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com