Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Bell Can Succeed at Left Tackle

Best Answer Pejorative Miscreant, 19 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

Oh yeah, good thing you played football in highschool. Now you know everything there is to know about the sport at the professional level! You can totally relate!

Dont think OP ever said he knew everything.  Looked to me like he reflected personal experience that is similar to what Bell is going through now.  Thought it provided some good insight and more importantly, hope.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#16 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

Gettleman had several chances to draft starter-worthy tackles in the second round, but didn't. What does that tell you?

Starter-worthy tackles according to who?  Maybe not Dave Gettleman.

There were a couple of OTs I would've been very happy with in the 2nd, but I have no idea how Gettleman and the Panthers' staff had them rated.

#17 Pejorative Miscreant

Pejorative Miscreant

Cold Ass Honky

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:22 PM   Best Answer

A WHOLE PIE!

Oh yeah, good thing you played football in highschool. Now you know everything there is to know about the sport at the professional level! You can totally relate!

Dont think OP ever said he knew everything.  Looked to me like he reflected personal experience that is similar to what Bell is going through now.  Thought it provided some good insight and more importantly, hope.

#18 janderson20vt

janderson20vt

Double Bubble

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:23 PM

Gettleman had several chances to draft starter-worthy tackles in the second round, but didn't. What does that tell you?

He repeatedly said the value was no longer there after the first 3-4 tackles went off the board. You don't draft a LT for the future with a 2nd round pick that you don't think they're worth.

#19 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,176 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

whoever we play at LG is going to have to have a pro-bowl caliber year to compensate.

#20 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 17,622 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

lol

If you suck at LT, you could be better at RT. However if you suck at RT, you'll most likely suck at LT. LT is harder than RT since you're facing the best pass rushers most of the time there.

#21 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,269 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:28 PM

I can't tell you whether Bell will succeed at left tackle.

What I can tell you is that the notion of right and left being different skill sets at the pro level is absolutely correct.

#22 hdevonxz

hdevonxz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg/Greenville

I think the problem with this is as fans our view points are already skewed, show me where a tackle has struggled mightily on the right side and then was changed to the left where he went on to become "great" in the NFL lol

It's like people are forgetting the generalizations of LE's being the premiere pass rusher on teams, and RE's being more so run stuffers and 2nd best.

#23 Icege

Icege

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

I initially posted this in another thread, but in the hopes of reaching a great number of Bell-doubters, I'll repost here.

Reserve your criticism of Bell until he shows you what he can do on the left side. He might just surprise some of you.

Edit: Gettleman isn't the only believer in "left tackle feet". I was told by two coaches that I had some of the best "left tackle feet" that they had seen on film that year.

I assumed that he might be more comfortable on the left because dropping back into pass protection will put him in a southpaw stance which he's likely more comfortable in before engaging the defender.

#24 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,464 posts

Bell isn't as bad as people make him out to be, he's just not an elite NFL athlete. He will hold his own against jags then you face a premier pass rusher and he doesn't stand a chance.

#25 Carolina Crazy V2

Carolina Crazy V2

!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

Bell doesn't need to be great this season and I doubt that he will be. But I do believe he will be better because I trust that Gettleman and the rest of the coaching staff wouldn't trust him to protect Cam's blindside if they didn't believe that.

#26 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,003 posts
  • Location704

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

let's let him try for someone else's team though

#27 countryboi

countryboi

• HUDDLER
  • 2,323 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC born and raised

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

he has no choice we have no one else...its bell or bust

#28 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,050 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:46 PM

whoever we play at LG is going to have to have a pro-bowl caliber year to compensate.

Ed Dickson ftw

#29 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,176 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

Ed Dickson ftw

yep, i expect he'll be getting his share of chips and blocking assignments

#30 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,066 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

he often faced the better pash rusher last year, simply because teams knew that was their better matchups and DE's aren't locked to a specific side.  

Edited by Peppers90 NC, 19 May 2014 - 03:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.