53 replies to this topic

#1 davos

davos

€∞€∞€∞€

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationCO
HUDDLER

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

First off, looking at the secondary as a whole, it has been transformed almost as much as the WR unit.

The men fronting it:

CB--Melvin White, Antone Cason (Benwikere/Godfrey/Dockery/Norman)

FS--Thomas DeCoud (Tre Boston)

SS--Roman Harper (Lester)

White, Lester, and Dockery are the young guys returning.  Dockery was banged up last season and our staff brought him back for a reason.   CB looks really interesting.    

-->Now looking at that safety position, we've got:

2 vets at each position--Thomas DeCoud and Roman Harper 

S youth--Tre Boston and Robert Lester.  Colin Jones is great on ST.  

So I'm curious to see who everyone think we'll have in the most.  

I think a lot of people have been just saying Harper and DeCoud but considering how much field Lester saw last season and was good..along with Boston coming in as a ballhawk type, there could be a lot of subbing within this group which will be a great thing.  Fresh legs and ballhawkers.  

I think both of our rookies will see substantial time and have the opportunity to make plays/step up early on.  

Edited by beach, 26 May 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#2 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• LocationAsheville, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

i want harper in as little as possible.

this isn't some saints hate poo..i think the dude will get exposed unless we put him in certain situations. 

#3 Lemory

Lemory

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationRivera's Doghouse
HUDDLER

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

I like Lester a lot more than Harper. White is the best corner we have in my opinion. Cason should be serviceable. It will be interesting to see of we keep Colin Jones as a special teams ace. Not worried about DeCoud.

#4 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

My hatred for Roman Harper is still strong. He's going to need a game winning pick-6 to change that, I'm afraid.

#5 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

SUPPORTER

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

I firmly believe the group we have this year will be better than last.

#6 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The Yumbo of the Huddle

• LocationColumbia, South Kacky
HUDDLER

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:35 PM

My hatred for Roman Harper is still strong. He's going to need a game winning pick-6 to change that, I'm afraid.

He will need three straight weeks of game changing plays but Naruki Nakamura like plays seem likley... haruki is a faster player too ugh. Harper will be fine in the box to help blitz and stop the run but...

#7 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

HUDDLER

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

i want harper in as little as possible.

this isn't some saints hate poo..i think the dude will get exposed unless we put him in certain situations.

I agree, but if anything he plays the 8th man in the front and Decoud is more suitable for the deep center fielder

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

#8 mattnasty919

mattnasty919

NOT NEWB

ROOKIE

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

Hard to say this early, but I honestly believe our defense as a whole will be even better this year. The secondary appears improved on paper, and we strengthened our beast front 7.

The Harper signing ticked me a little at first, but as a situational pass rusher or box safety I think he will fit our scheme nicely. Decoud should return to pro bowl form with a legitimate front 7 in front of him. Not to take away anything from our departed midget, but I like having cason bene and Godfrey better at corner. White Norman dockery and thomas should only improve with another year of experience then add in Lester and Boston and I really like the upside of our defense this season. I expect another top 3 defensive season!

#9 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

HUDDLER

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

I think Harper will be subbed out on passing downs, too much of a liability in coverage

#10 Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

HUDDLER

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

Hard to say this early, but I honestly believe our defense as a whole will be even better this year. The secondary appears improved on paper, and we strengthened our beast front 7.

The Harper signing ticked me a little at first, but as a situational pass rusher or box safety I think he will fit our scheme nicely. Decoud should return to pro bowl form with a legitimate front 7 in front of him. Not to take away anything from our departed midget, but I like having cason bene and Godfrey better at corner. White Norman dockery and thomas should only improve with another year of experience then add in Lester and Boston and I really like the upside of our defense this season. I expect another top 3 defensive season!

I'm about ready to give up on Norman.  If you can't impress with the front 7 we have, I don't know what to say.

That said, I like the 2 db's we took because they can intercept the ball.  Maybe they aren't the best skill players at their positions, but I think R and Getty know what they are doing on defense.  Pressure the passer, make him throw it up.  We have 2 new guys who specialize in catching the ball.

Getty said he wants hog mollies and touchdown makers.  From the defensive side of that, our 2 rookies fit the role.  Not saying they have to return int's for td's, but just get the ball.  A turnover for the defense is comparable to a TD for the offense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users