53 replies to this topic

#1 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,147 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

First off, looking at the secondary as a whole, it has been transformed almost as much as the WR unit.

The men fronting it:

CB--Melvin White, Antone Cason (Benwikere/Godfrey/Dockery/Norman)

FS--Thomas DeCoud (Tre Boston)

SS--Roman Harper (Lester)

White, Lester, and Dockery are the young guys returning.  Dockery was banged up last season and our staff brought him back for a reason.   CB looks really interesting.    

-->Now looking at that safety position, we've got:

2 vets at each position--Thomas DeCoud and Roman Harper 

S youth--Tre Boston and Robert Lester.  Colin Jones is great on ST.  

So I'm curious to see who everyone think we'll have in the most.  

I think a lot of people have been just saying Harper and DeCoud but considering how much field Lester saw last season and was good..along with Boston coming in as a ballhawk type, there could be a lot of subbing within this group which will be a great thing.  Fresh legs and ballhawkers.  

I think both of our rookies will see substantial time and have the opportunity to make plays/step up early on.  

Edited by beach, 26 May 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#2 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

i want harper in as little as possible.

this isn't some saints hate poo..i think the dude will get exposed unless we put him in certain situations. 

#3 Lemory

Lemory

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • LocationRivera's Doghouse

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

I like Lester a lot more than Harper. White is the best corner we have in my opinion. Cason should be serviceable. It will be interesting to see of we keep Colin Jones as a special teams ace. Not worried about DeCoud.

#4 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

My hatred for Roman Harper is still strong. He's going to need a game winning pick-6 to change that, I'm afraid.

#5 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

I firmly believe the group we have this year will be better than last.

#6 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:35 PM

My hatred for Roman Harper is still strong. He's going to need a game winning pick-6 to change that, I'm afraid.

He will need three straight weeks of game changing plays but Naruki Nakamura like plays seem likley... haruki is a faster player too ugh. Harper will be fine in the box to help blitz and stop the run but...

#7 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,398 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

i want harper in as little as possible.

this isn't some saints hate poo..i think the dude will get exposed unless we put him in certain situations.

I agree, but if anything he plays the 8th man in the front and Decoud is more suitable for the deep center fielder

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

#8 mattnasty919

mattnasty919

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

Hard to say this early, but I honestly believe our defense as a whole will be even better this year. The secondary appears improved on paper, and we strengthened our beast front 7.

The Harper signing ticked me a little at first, but as a situational pass rusher or box safety I think he will fit our scheme nicely. Decoud should return to pro bowl form with a legitimate front 7 in front of him. Not to take away anything from our departed midget, but I like having cason bene and Godfrey better at corner. White Norman dockery and thomas should only improve with another year of experience then add in Lester and Boston and I really like the upside of our defense this season. I expect another top 3 defensive season!

#9 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

I think Harper will be subbed out on passing downs, too much of a liability in coverage

#10 Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

Hard to say this early, but I honestly believe our defense as a whole will be even better this year. The secondary appears improved on paper, and we strengthened our beast front 7.

The Harper signing ticked me a little at first, but as a situational pass rusher or box safety I think he will fit our scheme nicely. Decoud should return to pro bowl form with a legitimate front 7 in front of him. Not to take away anything from our departed midget, but I like having cason bene and Godfrey better at corner. White Norman dockery and thomas should only improve with another year of experience then add in Lester and Boston and I really like the upside of our defense this season. I expect another top 3 defensive season!

I'm about ready to give up on Norman.  If you can't impress with the front 7 we have, I don't know what to say.

That said, I like the 2 db's we took because they can intercept the ball.  Maybe they aren't the best skill players at their positions, but I think R and Getty know what they are doing on defense.  Pressure the passer, make him throw it up.  We have 2 new guys who specialize in catching the ball.

Getty said he wants hog mollies and touchdown makers.  From the defensive side of that, our 2 rookies fit the role.  Not saying they have to return int's for td's, but just get the ball.  A turnover for the defense is comparable to a TD for the offense.

#11 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Member from WAAAYY Back

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

You bring guys in who fit the way we play defense.  This defense is going to be awesome.

Primary example is Norman.  An insane talent but refuses to stay on his assignment.  We have the talent.  Do your job and we will be top 5 again.

#12 KSpan

KSpan

Bow-chicka-wow-wow!

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,490 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:26 PM

Until the season starts and he can prove otherwise, as far as I'm concerned Harper is an overpaid waste of a roster space and I'd rather have Mikell back. The rest of the secondary looks at least as serviceable as last year, and could have more upside.

#13 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,653 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:35 PM

I'm hoping we tinker with it as we head into the season adding a new vet that gets cut

#14 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,988 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

The secondary has a lot of play-making skills and is there to create turnovers. If we're not getting pressure with the front 7, they'll be abused (like last year).

I'm just excited to see Melvin/Lester. They impressed last year being UDFA, and I'd love to see them take a step this year to solidify the secondary somewhat.  Also, can DeCoud return to somewhat of his Pro Bowl self, and will Boston bring some of his big play potential this year. 

#15 BigCat

BigCat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWinston Salem NC

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:08 PM

This is very interesting. IMO we just corrected a weakness. Last everyone said once you get by the front seven all bets were off. This year it appears that the back half will not be as weak as last year. Can't wait to see how everything shapes up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com