#16 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,970 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

I'm honestly not sure what to make of this.  

Seems like the admin went out of their way... like WAY out of their way to get this guy released, but I don't know why.

I feel bad for his family, but it stands to reason that this is exactly why you don't negotiate with people who capture our soldiers/citizens.   Gives them just that more reason to do it again...

Need more info.

#17 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,766 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:44 AM

Squirrel!

#18 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,449 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

Is there any actual proof at this point that he was a deserter?

Not surprising that the usual people who hate Obama are spewing the usual rhetoric, but throwing this guy under the bus to do so is pitiful.

#19 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

Quite a few news stories about his vanishing from his post.  Who knows what the truth might be, but I am certain there is a spin coming your way from the White House.

http://nypost.com/20...last-known-pow/

#20 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,449 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

Even if he did, I'll wait to hear all the circumstances in detail before all but labeling the man a traitor like some are doing.

#21 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

Served with distinction and honor, says Susan "it was a video" Rice.  Spinning is off to the races.

http://www.weeklysta...ion_794066.html

#22 Jangler

Jangler

event horizon of chaos

• HUDDLER
  • 48,007 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

homeland.jpg

#23 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,970 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

Is there any actual proof at this point that he was a deserter?

Not surprising that the usual people who hate Obama are spewing the usual rhetoric, but throwing this guy under the bus to do so is pitiful.

Apparently they're looking into it and they should.

My thoughts on it after watching some news coverage of this at lunch...

#1) His status as a deserter (or not) shouldn't have had any impact on the Army trying to find and recover him, and it appears that it didn't.

#2) His status as a deserter (or not) shouldn't have any bearing on this deal that was made to get him free.

#3) It absolutely should be investigated as to whether he was captured or deserted and was then captured.  By all accounts I've seen, all of his platoon mates consider him a deserter, and they read some excerpts from emails to his parents that suggest he was disallusioned with the war and with the Army.  He said thins such as "ashamed to be american" etc.

#4) As to the 'deal' the administration made... obviously more needs to come out about this and they are insisting that they did not "negotiate with terrorists" but regardless of their stance, it sure looks to me like they did in fact "negotiate with terrorists" and whether that's the case in truth or not, they need to clear it up fast because if that's what the terrorist think, then look for more kidnap attempts.

#24 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

Having been an Army Brat, I never met a soldier that would've agreed to this exchange. Even if they were the 1 being exchanged in the agreement. Though, this story has been brought to light for obvious reasons, his rep as a deserter is old news. Point being, even if he was not a deserter( which I will choose to take the opinions of those who served with him), it is not worth the exchange. I don't care who the c.i.c is, this is a dumb deal. 

#25 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,449 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:55 PM

Apparently they're looking into it and they should.

My thoughts on it after watching some news coverage of this at lunch...

#1) His status as a deserter (or not) shouldn't have had any impact on the Army trying to find and recover him, and it appears that it didn't.

#2) His status as a deserter (or not) shouldn't have any bearing on this deal that was made to get him free.

#3) It absolutely should be investigated as to whether he was captured or deserted and was then captured.  By all accounts I've seen, all of his platoon mates consider him a deserter, and they read some excerpts from emails to his parents that suggest he was disallusioned with the war and with the Army.  He said thins such as "ashamed to be american" etc.

#4) As to the 'deal' the administration made... obviously more needs to come out about this and they are insisting that they did not "negotiate with terrorists" but regardless of their stance, it sure looks to me like they did in fact "negotiate with terrorists" and whether that's the case in truth or not, they need to clear it up fast because if that's what the terrorist think, then look for more kidnap attempts.

Absolutely they should, and if he did that is up to them how to proceed.

I agree with most of what you said. As for his state of mind at the time and comments that he supposedly made about the war and being ashamed to be an American, who knows what he was going through. Everyone reacts differently to war, many of us can only imagine.

As usual though this will become a back and forth of dick measuring between politicians while other problems in this country go ignored.

#26 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,700 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

I will hold off on the lambasting at the moment, but it sure does look bad so far.

#27 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

Sort of a who's who of terrorists that were let go.

Sort of like someone trading their entire draft for Kerry Collins after he quit on us.

I know, bad analogy

#28 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,766 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

Like us trading Benjamin, Cam, Keuchly, Hardy, and Kalil to get Matt Willig back.

#29 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,449 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:45 PM

What does this situation, or situations like it involving soldiers in war have to do with trading millionaire athletes to other teams?

You guys wonder why nobody takes you seriously... Yeah.

Edited by TheRed, 02 June 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#30 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,766 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

You have the sense of humor of a lamppost. 

We were completely cereal dontchakno. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com