• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • LocationDurham

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:47 PM

From another Huddle favorite, Adam Schein:

http://www.nfl.com/n...akcarrier=other

"2) Luke Kuechly, MLB, Carolina Panthers
Cam Newton gets more headlines, but Kuechly is Carolina's MVP, the heart and soul of the Panthers. The 2013 AP Defensive Player of the Year -- yes, he got my vote -- is totally irreplaceable. The pure numbers (156 tackles, four interceptions, two sacks) speak volumes, but he's also the lead dog of a unit that finished last season at No. 2 in total and scoring defense. Meanwhile, Newton's offense ranked 26th and 18th, respectively, in the corresponding categories.

Kuechly's non-stop motor and highly advanced football IQ set the tone for this D."

Lol at the indirect dig at Cam. Yes the offense was bad last year, but to insinuate it was Cams fault is stupid/typical Schein.

Anyway, obviously I think the Panthers would be in more trouble if Kuechly went down than the Seahawks if Sherman went down. Sherman is a great player because the rest of the defense allows him to play like he does. Put him on another team and he would be great, but not necessarily the best CB in the league. Similarly, most CBs would at least look good playing for Seadderall. On the other hand, Keek would be great for any team and instantly makes even an awful defense good (see 2011 to 2012 improvement). Still though having him at #2 isn't anything to complain about and I get the argument for Sherman at #1.

In b4 "who cares," fug it I'm bored.

#2 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

llK609c.gif

#3 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:55 PM

Luigi is such a gangster.

#4 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 10,186 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

to compare losing Luke vs Sherman is like comparing the loss of a QB to a WR

#5 Haplo E

Haplo E

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

The DL make or break the defense.

#6 Haplo E

Haplo E

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

Anologies don't work here. A shot down corner is more valuable than a LB and pay scale reflect that.

#7 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

fact.  Seattle could lose Sherman and still be a Superbowl contender.

#8 PantherWake

PantherWake

How Bout Dem Gamecocks

• HUDDLER
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:28 PM

llK609c.gif

Luigi savage bruh

#9 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:29 PM

Anologies don't work here. A shot down corner is more valuable than a LB and pay scale reflect that.

Except Sherman isn't a shutdown CB. Shutdown CBs like Revis and Peterson follow the other team's #1 WR no matter where he lines up. Sherman simply plays his side of the field. He does it very well, but you can easily gameplan around that. It's just that Seattle's entire secondary is very good.

#10 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

Sherman is a great player because the rest of the defense allows him to play like he does.

no.

the strength of settle's defense is it's secondary. it's defensive line is good only because it's secondary is elite...it's secondary is elite because sherman allows them the flexibility to ignore half the field.

#11 updownsigma

updownsigma

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • LocationDurham

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

Except Sherman isn't a shutdown CB. Shutdown CBs like Revis and Peterson follow the other team's #1 WR no matter where he lines up. Sherman simply plays his side of the field. He does it very well, but you can easily gameplan around that. It's just that Seattle's entire secondary is very good.

Exactly, this is what I was alluding to in the first post. He's probably playing at the highest level of any CB right now, but I don't think that would be true if he played for any other team. Not saying he wouldn't still be a great player, but Seattles secondary allows him to play like he does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#12 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 10,186 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

i disagree, but it would be almost impossible to prove so i'll leave it at that.

#13 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 10,186 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:40 PM

most would agree Earl Thomas is more valuable to that defense than Sherman.  My analogy suggested the Panthers defense would drop more drastically if we lost Luke, like most teams with a start QB would more so than losing their start WR.

#14 KSpan

KSpan

Bow-chicka-wow-wow!

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

As soon as Sherman calls the defenses and gets the entire unit set, as Luke does, your argument may stand. Until that time, the QB/WR comparison is reasonable if not simplistic.

No one is saying Sherman isn't very, very good, because he is. He just doesn't have the set of responsibilities that Luke does.

#15 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

Freddy Frashbear

• HUDDLER
  • 14,792 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

Lol the white guy with a motor and high football IQ trope rearing its ugly head again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com