61 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Igo

Jeremy Igo

Administrator

• MFCEO
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

After practice on Wednesday afternoon Panthers Head Coach Ron Rivera took the time to talk about second round draft pick Kony Ealy.

"Kony is an exciting young man, he has got something to him" said Rivera. "I'm excited to see him in pads once we get down to Spartanburg for training camp. You want to see guys improve from week one to week two and he is one of the guys that gets what we are doing."

Ealy fits the mold of a Ron Rivera defensive end. Like Greg Hardy, who has yet to sign a long term agreement, Ealy can play both defensive end and defensive tackle. Apparently, that is something Rivera already has plans for. 

"He is one of those guys that plays multiple positions and we do that with our defensive ends. We are going to look at some of those things as we get further along. Probably in the next couple weeks we will see what he can and can't do."

If Ealy can adequately fill in for either Charles Johnson or Greg Hardy this season, it will free up tremendous possibilities next year in terms of cap room when one of those players are no longer on the roster and a looming Cam Newton contract.

It is very possible that Ealy's falling into the late second round of the draft was one of the best things that could have happened to the Panthers all offseason, and for years to come.

#2 PantherWake

PantherWake

How Bout Dem Gamecocks

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

God I hope he turn out to be good and take over for Hardy or CJ after this year.

#3 Lemory

Lemory

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationRivera's Doghouse

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:51 PM

Good to hear. Seems like this draft will turn out to be a good one!

#4 Beast_3000

Beast_3000

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:53 PM

I think Ealy will be as good as advertised. Hopefully he has a year before he has to take on a starters role so he can continue to work out and gain some of that grown man strength. I hope he becomes a major contributor this year.

Edited by Beast_3000, 05 June 2014 - 04:55 PM.

#5 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

Freddy Frashbear

• HUDDLER
  • 14,791 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

Aww-yeah.gif

#6 MCC

MCC

HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

Still want to sign Hardy to a long term deal badly. 

Our young defensive core of Hardy, Star, KK, Luke, and hopefully Ealy, if he works out, should be great for years to come. 

#7 Jeremy Igo

Jeremy Igo

Administrator

• MFCEO
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

Still want to sign Hardy to a long term deal badly. 

Our young defensive core of Hardy, Star, KK, Luke, and hopefully Ealy, if he works out, should be great for years to come. 

Would you rather have that, or Cam. I don't believe you can have both long term.

#8 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,953 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

It's always exciting to hear positive things about rookies but early success isn't always a sign of things to come for DEs.Neither is early failures. Charles Johnson and Greg Hardy took time to get where they are. Guys like Jevon Kearse opened with a flurry and faded. The most important thing is learn the playbook and learn the details that make a great pro player.

#9 Billy Love

Billy Love

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

Cam is going to get paid. Then luke kuechly will get paid.

#10 BigBoss

BigBoss

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

lol hype train is full steam ahead. Best things to happen to the panthers for years to come? Come on now.

That said I hope it proves true..... behind winning a super bowl.

#11 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,109 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

Should've drafted that 8th round rated tackle instead.

#12 Khaki Lackey

Khaki Lackey

I keeps it real

• HUDDLER
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

Would you rather have that, or Cam. I don't believe you can have both long term.

Probably not. We would definitely have to get comfortable with a discount secondary, OL, WR corps, and RB stable if we were to somehow pull that off.

Edited by Khaki Lackey, 05 June 2014 - 05:16 PM.

#13 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,109 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

On the assumption that Hardy is on the books, and CJ, Deangelo, Stewart, and dead money to players that haven't played in years, it should be feasible by that time no?

#14 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,755 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:19 PM

Excellent to hear! Ealy is a versatile DE with promise. I knew right from the start he'd be a Panther if he fell to us, and voilĂ ...

If he can stay healthy, NFL offenses across the NFL will be fearing Carolina's pass rush for years to come.

#15 MCC

MCC

HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:33 PM

Not so sure about that if the cap limit continues to increase like expected, but I really have no idea. 

Is it choosing him over Cam, or is it choosing him over Charles Johnson?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers, Kony Ealy, NFL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com