• Please log in to reply
322 replies to this topic

#16 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:31 AM

I believe there is validity to the story, however I'm withholding judgement on Roy.

Notice McCants says he thinks Roy knew. In legal prosecution, the word thinks is associated with doubt meaning that he (or whoever the person of discussion is) may not be guilty.... and to be proven guilty it has to be 'beyond the shadow of a doubt.'

Well if McCants knew that he was in trouble academically I am sure roy knew that as well.

#17 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,673 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

McAdoo, Bishop, Deunta Williams, and now McCant's.  There are a few more but those are the ones off the top of my head and they all say the same thing along with MW, widespread academic fraud that spilled over into basketball.

My position has been, and still is, that there was obviously something going on. ABC-ers have their heads in the sand if they truly believe these types of actions are isolated to just UNC - they happen everywhere. ABC-ers won't engage in that conversation because it's UNC in the middle of the poo storm - I get it and fans have to take it. If we don't have enough proof that the NCAA and the entire college athletics system is a complete fraud on a national level, then I'm not sure what evidence we're waiting for to prove that. 

But watching the haters praise former entitled and disgruntled UNC athletes who either got in trouble or never lived up to their potential for opportunistically coming forward to "do the right thing" is laughable. You guys want to take these jerks with character issues at their word over the 100s of former players who rebut their statements. Hell, even Julius Hodge is calling the guy out as a fraud. 

#18 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,952 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

Well if McCants knew that he was in trouble academically I am sure roy knew that as well.

You just said he was on the Dean's List meaning he wasn't in trouble academically. Coaches only get reports when players are failing classes or their GPA is getting close to them being academically intelligible.

#19 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

My position has been, and still is, that there was obviously something going on. ABC-ers have their heads in the sand if they truly believe these types of actions are isolated to just UNC - they happen everywhere. ABC-ers won't engage in that conversation because it's UNC in the middle of the poo storm - I get it and fans have to take it. If we don't have enough proof that the NCAA and the entire college athletics system is a complete fraud on a national level, then I'm not sure what evidence we're waiting for to prove that.

But watching the haters praise former entitled and disgruntled UNC athletes who either got in trouble or never lived up to their potential for opportunistically coming forward to "do the right thing" is laughable. You guys want to take these jerks with character issues at their word over the 100s of former players who rebut their statements. Hell, even Julius Hodge is calling the guy out as a fraud.

What character issues do McAdoo, Bishop, and Deunta Williams have? Does MW also have character issues? If Duke had former faculty and former players coming out saying they took fake classes unc fans would be acting the same way. How many unc fans wanted the 2010 banner to come down because of the Thomas situation?

I think the biggest issue here is the transcript for McCants and what it shows. The guy failing multiple classes along with multiple D's but then he takes all AFAM courses one semester and makes straight A's and is on the Deans list, come on.

#20 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

You just said he was on the Dean's List meaning he wasn't in trouble academically. Coaches only get reports when players are failing classes or their GPA is getting close to them being academically intelligible.

Yeah he was on the Deans list the one semester he took all AFAM classes the other semesters were littered with D's and F's.

#21 celling

celling

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

I can understand UNC fans arguing McCants credibility.  There probably is a financial/ revenge motive for his actions.  However, his accusations sound very similar to the previous accusations of MW and those accusations in "Tarnished Heels".  The thing that should be scaring every UNC fan sh*tless is the fact that OTL has copies of his transcripts that are backing up his accusations and showing that he would be ineligible without these fraudulent classes.  The transcripts are not official, unfortunately, because UNC has refused to give him a copy of his official transcript because he still has "university property".  This is a huge red-flag and makes UNC look pretty suspicious.

#22 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,673 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

What character issues do McAdoo, Bishop, and Deunta Williams have? Does MW also have character issues? If Duke had former faculty and former players coming out saying they took fake classes unc fans would be acting the same way. How many unc fans wanted the 2010 banner to come down because of the Thomas situation?

I think the biggest issue here is the transcript for McCants and what it shows. The guy failing multiple classes along with multiple D's but then he takes all AFAM courses one semester and makes straight A's and is on the Deans list, come on.

Those guys were suspended for taking benefits before they decided to "come out" about the classes. All of the people who have spoken absolutely have had ulterior motives. 

The transcript isn't the biggest things. We've all known that there were fake classes. What does the transcript prove that we didn't already know? Nothing. The big deal here is that McCants is trying to bring Roy into the mix. If Roy knew it was happening then that changes everything. 

It's going to take more than McCants to bring down Roy. It's been known for years that he and his family didn't like Roy and I'm sure he blames him for his professional career failures. The guy has always been a complete nutjob. If he's the best characer witness the ABC-ers can find, then it's time to go back to the drawing boards. 

#23 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,673 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:12 AM

I can understand UNC fans arguing McCants credibility.  There probably is a financial/ revenge motive for his actions.  However, his accusations sound very similar to the previous accusations of MW and those accusations in "Tarnished Heels".  The thing that should be scaring every UNC fan sh*tless is the fact that OTL has copies of his transcripts that are backing up his accusations and showing that he would be ineligible without these fraudulent classes.  The transcripts are not official, unfortunately, because UNC has refused to give him a copy of his official transcript because he still has "university property".  This is a huge red-flag and makes UNC look pretty suspicious.

They definitely do sound similar. Interesting that he wasn't the leader in coming forth about these allegations. Instead he's been able to be coached to have his story confirm what we've already been told. There's no new news here other than say Roy knew.

You are definitely right about the ineligibility during the 2005 season though. That's definitely scary. It's appeared that this case has been closed by the NCAA - is this enough to make them reopen it?  

#24 celling

celling

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

Those guys were suspended for taking benefits before they decided to "come out" about the classes. All of the people who have spoken absolutely have had ulterior motives. 

The transcript isn't the biggest things. We've all known that there were fake classes. What does the transcript prove that we didn't already know? Nothing. The big deal here is that McCants is trying to bring Roy into the mix. If Roy knew it was happening then that changes everything. 

It's going to take more than McCants to bring down Roy. It's been known for years that he and his family didn't like Roy and I'm sure he blames him for his professional career failures. The guy has always been a complete nutjob. If he's the best characer witness the ABC-ers can find, then it's time to go back to the drawing boards. 

The transcripts prove that McCants was playing while he was academically ineligible.  Thus, all of the wins/ championships would be voided. 

The other problem is that the NCAA now has pie in its face. ESPN has been pretty much staying out of the academic fraud story until now.  With ESPN taking the lead on the story this could start to snowball.  

#25 celling

celling

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

They definitely do sound similar. Interesting that he wasn't the leader in coming forth about these allegations. Instead he's been able to be coached to have his story confirm what we've already been told. There's no new news here other than say Roy knew.

You are definitely right about the ineligibility during the 2005 season though. That's definitely scary. It's appeared that this case has been closed by the NCAA - is this enough to make them reopen it?  

Yesterday I would have said it is unlikely. MW and Tarnished Heels are both suspicious but I didn't think it was enough for the NCAA to come back. However today is a different story all together.  With a former Heel coming forward, completely ignoring his credibility, and ESPN making it a big story, they are going to look very suspicious if they don't come back to Chapel Hill. 

#26 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,673 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

Yesterday I would have said it is unlikely. MW and Tarnished Heels are both suspicious but I didn't think it was enough for the NCAA to come back. However today is a different story all together.  With a former Heel coming forward, completely ignoring his credibility, and ESPN making it a big story, they are going to look very suspicious if they don't come back to Chapel Hill. 

I don't disagree. Guess we'll see....

And just when the ride seemed to be slowing down it takes right back off. We should call this "BigCatDaddy-O'winds" since this stuff makes his days so much better. 

#27 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,673 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:33 AM

One more thing.....

As much as I (sports) hate Duke and State, I would NEVER want anything to happen to any of their programs that would take away the fun I get from watching them battle every year. Those rivalry games (yes I included you State fans) are some of the days I look forward to every year. Watching Duke vacate their wins because of Thomas would do absolutely nothing for me - they still won. I want UNC to beat Duke ever year - not have Duke shamed for any reason. 

#28 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

The transcripts prove that McCants was playing while he was academically ineligible.  Thus, all of the wins/ championships would be voided. 

The other problem is that the NCAA now has pie in its face. ESPN has been pretty much staying out of the academic fraud story until now.  With ESPN taking the lead on the story this could start to snowball.  

Was he though? I thought the article said he was going to be ineligible but took some summer "classes" to maintain eligibility.

Not really anything new here, we knew UNC had fake classes to keep athletes eligible that frankly had no business being in college.  If they can show that Roy knew what was going on that would be pretty damaging, but a guy in his position isn't going to dig too deep into stuff like this and just let the advisors and tutors take care of it

#29 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,643 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

How many different players have come forward from how many different generations of the team now? It's not like all these guys came from one team- it's spread out over many years.

Guy was the second leading scorer on your national championship team and now that's done and he no longer plays works for UNC, all their fans want to dismiss him as meaningless and vengeful. Talk about a childish ostrich syndrome...

#30 celling

celling

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

Was he though? I thought the article said he was going to be ineligible but took some summer "classes" to maintain eligibility.

Not really anything new here, we knew UNC had fake classes to keep athletes eligible that frankly had no business being in college.  If they can show that Roy knew what was going on that would be pretty damaging, but a guy in his position isn't going to dig too deep into stuff like this and just let the advisors and tutors take care of it

You're right. The article does say that He was going to be ineligible even with the fraudulent classes before he went to summer school.   However,  The transcripts allow you to calculate that his GPA was too low to be eligible if the fraudulent classes are thrown out.  That's the dagger. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com