• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,173 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

“I’m sure the Carolina Panthers will go, ‘Hey, we’ll give you Kaepernick’s structure,’ ” said Joel Corry, a former NFL agent. “But (Newton’s agent) Bus Cook is not going to be too receptive to that.”

Newton, selected No. 1 overall in the 2011 draft in which Kaepernick was picked in the second round, is entering the fourth year of his rookie deal. In April, the Panthers picked up the club option on Newton for 2015 at $14.67 million.

But with such a prohibitive salary cap number for Newton for 2015, Corry believes the Panthers will lock up their franchise quarterback with a long-term deal before the start of the league year next March.

And Corry, who writes about NFL contracts and the salary cap for CBS Sports and the National Football Post, thinks it will be Jay Cutler’s contract – more so than Kaepernick’s – that Newton’s side will bring to the table.

Cutler, 31, the 11th overall pick in 2006, didn’t receive a signing bonus from the Bears. But the first three years of the deal are guaranteed for $54 million – an average of $18 million a year that Corry believes Newton will command.

“I think $18 million (a year) gets you in the game for Cam, with $50 million in guarantees,” Corry said.

7 years at 18M for Cutler. I have always said 5x19 but 7x18 with a similar guarantee sounds right.  A true guarantee not a Kaepernick "we can cut you anytime" guarantee. Hopefully.

Sorry if posted already

#2 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,599 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

Yeah I never once thought cam would get a kap deal. Just has proven so much already

#3 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,352 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

anything south of 20 would be beneficial to the franchise.  but an even more stellar year this year, it would certainly push north of that number.

#4 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

I don't think Cam will get a CK's deal. I think Cam deserves a little more faith in his play anyway. He's proven he's a better QB.

Edited by OneBadCat, 06 June 2014 - 02:05 PM.

#5 BANE

BANE

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • LocationCollege

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

I don't know the structure, all I know is when Cam gets his new contract, ESPN will be talking about him being one of the highest paid players ever in the NFL. Thats a guarantee. 

#6 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 47,117 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:38 PM

I don't know the structure, all I know is when Cam gets his new contract, ESPN will be talking about him being one of the highest paid players ever in the NFL. Thats a guarantee. 

I haven't been watching any ESPN or NFLN to know what they are saying about the CK deal, but when Cam gets his I'm sure they will be saying something like "well now he has to prove himself."

#7 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

I haven't been watching any ESPN or NFLN to know what they are saying about the CK deal, but when Cam gets his I'm sure they will be saying something like "well now he has to prove himself."

I can see it now:

" Now let's see the leadership..."

" We just need to see him mature..."

#8 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,352 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:58 PM

i hope he gets more than a 3 year deal 

#9 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:06 PM

I don't think $18 million per year will get it done. He's already set to make nearly $15 million on the fifth year option.

#10 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,626 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

I don't think $18 million per year will get it done. He's already set to make nearly $15 million on the fifth year option.

18 or 20 or even 23 are just numbers.  You can make the numbers whatever you want but what matters is what is guaranteed.  Players take contracts because they get 50 million guaranteed which assures they will never be hurting for money the rest of their lives.  Kaepernick's deal doesn't give him much security and I suspect he will see less than 70% of it.

#11 jdpanther5

jdpanther5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationBurlington

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

I remember noting this when I saw Cutler listed as a Bus Cook as well, so it makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G900V using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#12 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,936 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:21 PM

As a side note, I think Cutler is overpaid.

A lot of Bears fans (and probably some players) might rather have had Josh McCown back.

#13 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,173 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

A lot of Bears fans (and probably some players) might rather have had Josh McCown back.

Doesn't matter.

Clausen probably ends up starting.

#14 Thal

Thal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:14 AM

Cam will get at least 22mil. A legitimate 22.

#15 Jeremy Igo

Jeremy Igo

Administrator

• MFCEO
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

There is no question he is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com