#136 cgarsmoker

cgarsmoker

Panther Aficionado

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationViera, Florida

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

The most appropriate name would be the Washington Lobbyists.....They're the symbolic with Washington nowadays.

Edited by cgarsmoker, 12 June 2014 - 04:57 PM.

#137 fjblair

fjblair

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:35 PM

Let's play pretend.

Say Walmart changes their slogan from "poo on your employees while pretending you wouldn't literally murder your customers and take their money if you could get it legalized." err wait, that's not right.

Okay, they change it from "Save money, live better" to "Pantherclaw is a dumb, inbred piece of poo,"

Now, you don't refer to yourself in that manner, so if a nationally recognized corporation did, that won't bother you right? Millions of people thinking "Heh, pantherclaw boned his sister" isn't going to make you want them to change their brand?

As long as they tell you that they don't INTEND for it to sound offensive, and that you should be thrilled that you're being represented by a billion dollar corporation, it's cool, right?

Because if it would bother you, then I guess you're just a big, pussy liberal.

Not even remotely close to being a relevant analogy.

I vote for Washington Shams.

#138 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

Keep the logo and call yourself the Washington Warriors, Washington Natives, or something along those lines.

#139 BANE

BANE

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • LocationCollege

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:06 AM

Like others I agree the name is offensive, but this country needs some offensive as there's far too much PC bulls**t as is. If some group has to "suffer" for it, so be it. And yes, using the terms "suffering" in this this issue is a giant, gargantuan stretch. Real suffering looks like the genocide in Darfur, not hurt feelings by a group of people in Washington.

Edited by BANE, 13 June 2014 - 01:08 AM.

#140 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:45 AM

It is racist and needs to be changed.  Everyone is desensitized when it comes to Native Americans, but they are real people who had a rough time, probably as bad as slavery to them.  They aren't just on TV or in the history books.   They still have it pretty rough.  I agree we have to move on as a country, but naming pro sports teams after slurs isn't a good way to do this.  

#141 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,383 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:46 AM

Like others I agree the name is offensive, but this country needs some offensive as there's far too much PC bulls**t as is. If some group has to "suffer" for it, so be it. And yes, using the terms "suffering" in this this issue is a giant, gargantuan stretch. Real suffering looks like the genocide in Darfur, not hurt feelings by a group of people in Washington.

Look how tough anti-PC people are when they get to volunteer other groups for suffering.

#142 Toundra

Toundra

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:09 AM

I feel both sad and happy when i see indians.

70.000 Vs 1.000.000, we fought well but we have failed, sorry.

#143 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,132 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

Washington Whiteskins!!!!

#144 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 17,284 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

There are Native American schools that call their teams Redskins. The term is used affectionately by some natives, similar to the way the N-word is used by some African-Americans. In the only recent poll to ask native people about the subject, 90 percent of respondents did not consider the term offensive, although many question the cultural credentials of the respondents.

All of which underscores the oft-overlooked diversity within Native America.

In 2004, the National Annenberg Election Survey asked 768 people who identified themselves as Indian whether they found the name “Washington Redskins” offensive. Almost 90 percent said it did not bother them.

But the Indian activist Suzan Shown Harjo, who has filed a lawsuit seeking to strip the “Redskins” trademark from the football team, said the poll neglected to ask some crucial questions.

“Are you a tribal person? What is your nation? What is your tribe? Would you say you are culturally or socially or politically native?” Harjo asked. Those without such connections cannot represent native opinions, she said.

Uh wtf? So not all Natives should be allowed to vote. Only your small group.

http://washington.cb...kins-is-a-slur/

What I find funny is that the people that find it most offensive are white people. The only people that can determine if a word is offensive to them are the very people the word is directed towards.

When a majority of Natives find it offensive, change it. Until then, the name stays. I still think a nationwide poll only for Natives will settle the issue.

Edited by KillerKat, 15 June 2014 - 02:18 PM.

#145 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,751 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:50 PM

I think she meant to try and make sure all the people are truly Native Americans. How many people over the years have said to you that they are 1/16th <your tribe here>?

Uh wtf? So not all Natives should be allowed to vote. Only your small group.

http://washington.cb...kins-is-a-slur/

What I find funny is that the people that find it most offensive are white people. The only people that can determine if a word is offensive to them are the very people the word is directed towards.

When a majority of Natives find it offensive, change it. Until then, the name stays. I still think a nationwide poll only for Natives will settle the issue.

I don't think most really give a sh!t. Seems like Native Americans know there are bigger and better things to get upset over. But that just might be the white in me talking...not the human.

Edited by Jangler, 15 June 2014 - 02:50 PM.

#146 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:23 PM

I personally don't think the Bullets should have changed their name either. There is no connection between basketball team names and inner city violence. Did changing the name accomplish anything? Did violence stop? Did kids start pretending to be Wizards instead of bullets?

Pie just for the bolded part.  Made me laugh out loud.

#147 PantherFanOne

PantherFanOne

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationRock Hill S.C.

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

Washington Pigskins....Wait, that would probably offend the animal rights people.No matter what name a team has it probably offends some group,that's just what this country has become. These sob sisters that whine about a teams name, need to grow a pair,get a life and move on.

Edited by PantherFanOne, 15 June 2014 - 08:03 PM.

#148 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

The wife is 1/16 Cherokee. I just asked her if she is offended by a football team using "Redskins"? She said. "No".

Not very scientific.

IMO, If the Washington ownership can handle the heat, so much for them.

Too much of the vocal minority going on nowadays. Somebody gets butthurt. The next thing you know you aren't allowed to spank your monkey in public.

#149 shelbypanther

shelbypanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:57 PM

Washington Foreskins would be better all the way around.

#150 PantherFanOne

PantherFanOne

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationRock Hill S.C.

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

So much for the people who say that the Indians, Braves, Chiefs, etc. aren’t being targeted because they aren’t “racial slurs”. The term Redskins was coined by the Native Americans, look it up.

The Redskins are just the tip of the iceberg. What are you going to say when they come for the Indians, Chiefs, Braves, and Blackhawks?

What are you going to say when they tell you that those team names are disparaging to Native Americans?

Come to think of it, the Native Americans should be the only people called Americans. What should the rest of call ourselves? I wouldn’t want to offend anyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.