Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Osama is dead and Al Q is on the run

92 posts in this topic

Posted

and you would be inconclusive in your proposal.

gas impacts trucks. which effects moving goods to and fro. it effects jobs. it effects trips out. stuff bought. costs of delivery for a business. and on and on.

min wage workers, at the moment, typically go no higher than the 15% tax bracket.

like i mentioned, the multiplier impact of low gas prices is further reaching than just a wage increase, while not in of itself bad, has the same broad impact.

the min wage increase to the point where it's this taxable windfall is not good reality.

transversely, even if there was increased revenues(if you want to call it that) were to come from min wage increase, you again take money out of the individual's hands and give it to the govt who are magically going to spend it wisely, yet weren't spending wisely to begin with, otherwise those on min wage, umm....would be making more to begin with.

whereas lower gas prices, is an immediate, real time financial shot in the arm. not just to the individual, but for immediate circulation of funds into a service based economy which as we know, spending money oddly enough is best for a recession.

some even argue an increase in min wage could do an effective tax rate increase that is pretty sharp.

not technically apples and apples here but i'm looking solely macro and money supply vs recession and buying power at the individual level that not only increases CP(and consumer confidence)I but does go back to GDP.

1 person likes this

Posted

and you would be inconclusive in your proposal.

gas impacts trucks. which effects moving goods to and fro. it effects jobs. it effects trips out. stuff bought. costs of delivery for a business. and on and on.

min wage workers, at the moment, typically go no higher than the 15% tax bracket.

like i mentioned, the multiplier impact of low gas prices is further reaching than just a wage increase, while not in of itself bad, has the same broad impact.

the min wage increase to the point where it's this taxable windfall is not good reality.

transversely, even if there was increased revenues(if you want to call it that) were to come from min wage increase, you again take money out of the individual's hands and give it to the govt who are magically going to spend it wisely, yet weren't spending wisely to begin with, otherwise those on min wage, umm....would be making more to begin with.

whereas lower gas prices, is an immediate, real time financial shot in the arm. not just to the individual, but for immediate circulation of funds into a service based economy which as we know, spending money oddly enough is best for a recession.

some even argue an increase in min wage could do an effective tax rate increase that is pretty sharp.

not technically apples and apples here but i'm looking solely macro and money supply vs recession and buying power at the individual level that not only increases CP(and consumer confidence)I but does go back to GDP.

Depending on how you measure economic activity, GO or GDP. Gross Output tells us that 40% of the economy is centralized around consumer spending versus 70% through GDP. I would use GO over GDP as the better indicator due to it being a more robust measuring standard which tells us the movements in production. GO measurement is more volatile measure which I guess makes the measurement less attractive. Too each their own I guess.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/overreacting-polls-folly

why you should not pay attention to stirs

Not quite two weeks ago, for example, a Washington Post/ABC News poll showed Obama’s approval rating climbing from 41% to 46% – the biggest one-month jump for the president in three years. This poll, naturally, was deemed unimportant. (To underscore the point, look at the Washington Post headline from late April when Obama’s numbers looked bad, as compared to the same paper’s headline from June when Obama’s numbers looked good.)

Twelve days later, the political world is extremely excited about the new NBC/Wall Street Journal poll.

Just when our NBC/WSJ poll from April showed President Barack Obama bouncing back a bit after the surge of enrollment in the health-care exchanges, then came the crisis in Ukraine. Then the VA hospital controversy. The controversial Bowe Bergdahl release. And now the current instability in Iraq. And they’ve knocked Obama back down to where he was during the HealthCare.Gov woes – or even worse.

Our brand-new NBC/WSJ poll shows Obama’s overall job-approval rating at 41%, a three-point drop from two months ago.

Posted

I disagree somewhat as the presidents poll numbers will directly effect the 2014 elections.

I think I read today that he was going to have a joint meeting with Dem and Repub leaders on what to do in Iraq.  Normally, the president does what he wants no matter what the law says, much less Repubs.  So, to have them brought in, to get buy in, either means his fellow Dems are terrified of the fall elections because of his numbers, or that he wants to get blame passed equally to all in DC for whatever might be up.

His numbers keep going down, Dems will not show up this fall. 

I stopped counting after the fourth factually incorrect assumption....

Posted

Let me get this straight. Raising min wage will boost the economy but lower gas prices for people with more income will not?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

So let me get this straight: buying bigger, more expensive cars and buying houses instead of renting isn't boosting the economy?

When being a smart ass, it helps to go heavier on the "smart" part of it.

Posted

Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars del.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted

Well, maybe Obama can just get Iran to get into it with ISIS and we can kill two birds with one stone.

Posted

For some maybe, but considering Americans by and large used previously artificially low gas prices as an excuse to buy gas guzzling SUVs, never invest in public transport, and move to slightly bigger houses 20 miles from work rather than save or spend than money elsewhere, I'm not sure I really believe you.

Sent from my iPhone using Carolina

There is nothing to believe.  Lowering gas prices would help almost every single American citizen, directly or indirectly.

In 10 years we have doubled (roughly) gas prices.  If you don't think that is killing lower income folks, then you are delusional.

You may live in a big city, and public transport and bicycles are easy to use, but most of the SE just doesn't have that ability.

1 person likes this