28 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

So fans of  very team except Seattle is killing themselves for their weak points in the off season.
And with the lack of any real news, I submit this:

the bright spots heading into this season.

1.  can Luke get any better than DPOY?  well, yes.  now he has 2 years of
experience, and his front 4 will be improved because....

2. Star and KShort, after performing very well as rookies, enter their
second year with experience and most importantly, confidence. The front
four also remain intact, with at this point I believe, all our rotation
backups still intact.  Chemistry and experience combined with our obvious
talent, should make our D-Line even better this year, which is scary to every
team on our schedule.

3.  Our LB core has more experience with the same front 4.  Luke and AJ
are now comfortable, despite not really showing any adverse signs last year.
TD is excellent and healthy, much more, he has the desire of a winner and
is a incredible tutor to our still very young players, on both sides of the ball.
Chase compares to a lesser degree, adding experience and starting talent,
being a perfect tutor to AJ.

4.  What I believe will be an improved front seven, and fairly significantly, 
helps our d-backfield even more than last year.  While we lost Mitchell, we still
have some young guys that are getting better.  We added vets we could afford that
will help the younger guys grow.  The 2 rookies fit RR's D perfectly, and should contribute.  They both are ball hawkers, which is what RR wants in the secondary.
The fact 2 of our FA signings are from divisional rivals is important.  They have studied and been coached against our most frequent opponents.  

5.  For all the angst about our line, I think Getty made a somewhat fair assessment on our tackle situation.  I think we could have spent at least one pick on a project, but maybe he feels that is a position better served in free agency, and we'll get one down the line, be it this year, or next.  I understand about rookie tackles starting at the pro level.  Scott is really worrying me now, but Turner really looks like a fabulous pick.  If Amini is the guy Getty thought he is, our
interior should be above average.

6.  JStew is apparently healthy.  He has missed a lot of game, but all those games mean less wear and tear on his body.  He could really be a force this year.  DWill has shown he can contribute every year he's been healthy.  Both may be overpaid
but it's not like they aren't still good players.  I didn't say great, but good
is good.

7.  Cam is getting better at the game.  It's not about stats, it's about wins, and that he has increased for this team.   He is not only managing the game better, he is being respected now as a leader, which may have been said his first two years, but it wasn't true.  Now he's a smarter player, a proven winner, and learning to help the guys around him.

8.  Coach.  His idea is coming into fruition.  He already has built a top 2 defense in just 3 years.  His philosopy is now in effect.  And he has most of the players he needs to be a legendary defense.  He had his learning curve for his first two years, and now he's without a doubt a defensive genius.  And defense wins championships.
While Shula gets ripped, like most OC's that don't have a top 3 offense, he knows how to coach an offense that works with RR's philosophy.  Sure it's conservative, 
because RR wants to run the ball, control the clock, and win the game with a lethal defense, but it worked last year to the tune of 12 wins after only a 3 year rebuilding project.  

9.  Getty.  I believe.  Too early to grade his first draft, but Klein in the fifth is looking really good to me now, Short appears to be a home run.  Star was a no brainer, but at least give him credit for not passing.  With KB, Kony, and TT, we appear to have 3 guys who could start or at least contribute this year.  

#2 jayflip

jayflip

vaya con dios

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:18 PM

TL;DR version:

fug yeah, suck it Alice.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

#3 Jesse

Jesse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:25 PM

A well written post, 1. No mention of past wide receivers, 2. An honest showing about Shula's upside/efficiency and not just the numbers, 3. Positive breakdown of things we hope to see this upcoming season, 4.

Probably one of the best posts I've seen in a while. Glad to see some optimism on this board. Here's to back-to-back winning seasons.

#4 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,575 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:35 PM

I can get with most of it.

Of course the part that I take issue with is Shula.  Perhaps it's not all his fault, but the offense took a step back with Shula---plain and simple.

Sorry, man. All of this his offensive philosophy complements our defensive philosophy is just drivel in my eyes.  It's a way to rationalize a mediocre offense. No reason to be a Shula apologist. It is what it is. Hopefully our new consultant, as well as our new receiving corps will help Shula to raise his game.

#5 Diehardpanther02

Diehardpanther02

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:37 PM

I'm gonna have to agree with top dawg on this one with a lethal defense I believe u should take the chains out of the offense and be more aggressive...I'm not saying be stupid by no means but don't be afraid to push the ball every once in a while deep throws are cams forte so give him the opportunity, just my POV...

#6 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:43 PM

If Amini is the guy Hurney* thought he is, our interior should be above average.

fify

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

Edited by Gabeking, 12 June 2014 - 10:43 PM.

#7 PandaPancake

PandaPancake

#FireShula

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,336 posts
  • LocationGreeley, Co

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:52 PM

Nice post. I agree with all of it. I'm really excited for this year. Also I tend to forget Star and Short were rookies last year. They're going to be so much more comfortable this year.

I still can't figure out why the Giants let Gettleman go. Anyone got any insight?

Sent from my XT1080 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#8 Khaki Lackey

Khaki Lackey

I keeps it real

• HUDDLER
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:52 PM

I'm gonna have to agree with top dawg on this one with a lethal defense I believe u should take the chains out of the offense and be more aggressive...I'm not saying be stupid by no means but don't be afraid to push the ball every once in a while deep throws are cams forte so give him the opportunity, just my POV...

You guys are acting like we had a Megatron we didn't utilize. Cam's got a strong arm but his deep ball accuracy wasn't stellar last year and when it was, Ginn always wore gloves that had been dipped in Vagisil. Again...you guys that don't recognize the impact an efficient offense has on a defense obviously forgot what 2010 and 2011 were like. Yeah, Shula was a bit too conservative with the play calling at times, but he was working with a garbage OL and WR corps.

#9 the_philosopher

the_philosopher

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:55 PM

Good stuff, but I too am unsold on Shula. But I wouldn't dump him after 1 year either. I

#10 Diehardpanther02

Diehardpanther02

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:05 PM

You guys are acting like we had a Megatron we didn't utilize. Cam's got a strong arm but his deep ball accuracy wasn't stellar last year and when it was, Ginn always wore gloves that had been dipped in Vagisil. Again...you guys that don't recognize the impact an efficient offense has on a defense obviously forgot what 2010 and 2011 were like. Yeah, Shula was a bit too conservative with the play calling at times, but he was working with a garbage OL and WR corps.

No one has forgot about 2010 and 2011 was like and it seems to me as if you forgot our defense wasn't too 5 in the league this years either we were giving up 4 tds a game so we pressed more...now that we have a top notch d it doesn't really hurt to take shots becuz you know your d will have your back, making suggestions not downing the team or Shula so don't get your panties in a wad...we jus were a little to predictable, when it came down to it everyone knew what we were doing, only on rare occasions did Shula Actually change it up a bit...I think that's what bit us in the ass int San Fran game their d knew we were going up the gut when a simple play action might of worked...jus wanna see more out of them on first and second down so the o doesn't have to works so hard on third and 4th...love the philosophy but don't like the implementation, if it wasn't Ron getting aggressive Shula would have sit back and handed some of those wins back

#11 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:38 AM

No one has forgot about 2010 and 2011 was like and it seems to me as if you forgot our defense wasn't too 5 in the league this years either we were giving up 4 tds a game so we pressed more...now that we have a top notch d it doesn't really hurt to take shots becuz you know your d will have your back, making suggestions not downing the team or Shula so don't get your panties in a wad...we jus were a little to predictable, when it came down to it everyone knew what we were doing, only on rare occasions did Shula Actually change it up a bit...I think that's what bit us in the ass int San Fran game their d knew we were going up the gut when a simple play action might of worked...jus wanna see more out of them on first and second down so the o doesn't have to works so hard on third and 4th...love the philosophy but don't like the implementation, if it wasn't Ron getting aggressive Shula would have sit back and handed some of those wins back

Sentences exist.  This is a difficult post to process.

I don't think the predictability of our offense is any different than what Seattle or San Fran runs.  The biggest difference between us and those guys is having receivers who make big plays and having better offensive linemen.

We (like most of the NFL) don't have the firepower to run an offense like New England, Denver or New Orleans.

#12 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Gonna live and die as a faithful Panther Fan

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:11 AM

Well thought out post. I gotta go with Top Dawg too.

As many of you may remember I was a big time supporter of Shula.  I thought he would restore our running game and keep parts the parts of Chudz offense that we used so successfully in 2011 and 12.  That didn't happen.  12-4 is the only reason he is still here but you can put most of that on Cam and not Shula.

There was a reason they brought in Ramsdell.   They think Shula needs help and he does.  Don't be surprised that if our offense flutters out the gate that they fire Shula and make Ramsdell the OC.

One thing I will give Shula some credit on is the oline was a mess last year. Hopefully we get a couple of guys to stand up to fill those OT spots and with Amini and Turner in the interior Shula won't have an excuse.

Once again Great post.  The other areas were spot on if you ask me.

#13 Alverez

Alverez

Hold my beer, and check this out!!

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:37 AM

Great post.

I can see the debate on the whole Shula coaching thing... through out most of last season the conservative thing worked to the Panthers advantage. Tho, towards the end of the season, the need for some of those big plays came about, and they really didn't happen.

With the addition of the new players at WR... I can see some of that same conservative play calling starting out in the beginning of the season as they are still working on things. But, with the addition of Ramsdell I expect to see some of those big play ideas to really start working their way in there.

Yet with the young guys having to step up, and the Vets coming in and learning the system... there are bound to be growing pains. I just have a feeling that things are going to gel in the passing game better than most expect. And that is getting me excited for the season.

Edited by Alverez, 13 June 2014 - 03:40 AM.

#14 Mol3m4n

Mol3m4n

HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,610 posts
  • LocationMitchell, NC

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:42 AM

Not to be mean, but I agree with frizzy. I had to stop reading because it made my head hurt. I'm just trying to figure out your argument.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#15 Diehardpanther02

Diehardpanther02

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:47 PM

Correction*****************
No one has forgot about 2010 and 2011. What it seems like to me is that some of you forgot our defense wasn't top 5 in the league those years either. we were giving up 4 tds a game so we pressed more...now that we have a top notch d it doesn't really hurt to take shots becuz you know your d will have your back, just making suggestions and not downing the team or Shula so don't get your panties in a wad...we jus were a little to predictable, when it came down to it everyone knew what we were doing, only on rare occasions did Shula Actually change it up a bit...I think that's what bit us in the ass in the San Fran game, their d knew we were going up the gut the first two downs (when inside the 5)when a simple play action might of worked on either down...jus wanna see more out of them on first and second down so, the o doesn't have to work so hard on third and 4th...love the philosophy but don't like the implementation, if it wasn't for Ron getting aggressive going for it on 4th Shula would have sit back and handed some of those wins away by punting or being conservative **** sorry for the grammar, and illiteracy lol I promise I'm not ignorant ,just typing from my iPhone with sausage fingers when fired up doesn't quite work to well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com