#166 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,508 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:26 PM

Personally, I still think we should trade the pick.

I don't see a starter at nine.

Ship Henderson and #9 to Philly for Thaddeus Young.

Btw: Philly has been shopping Young to Sacramento for #8.

Edited by CarolinaPanthers8789, 19 June 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#167 SuperJTheGreat

SuperJTheGreat

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:33 PM

Personally, I still think we should trade the pick.

I don't see a starter at nine.

Ship Henderson and #9 to Philly for Thaddeus Young.

Btw: Philly has been shopping Young to Sacramento for #8.

man no. What positives come out of this?!?!? We could get Randle. Garry Harris. SCORERS!! Something we need. Yall want Thad he plays good D and is a finisher but he can't do much of anything els.e

#168 ThinkAboutIt

ThinkAboutIt

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:34 PM

There is a reason that Tyreke Evans, Ricky Rubio, and Jonny Flynn were drafted ahead of Stephen Curry.

Since they all knew Steph was a great scorer, shooter, and could play the point why would those guys go first?

I recall it was because he was a tweener who struggled against NBA length and didn't play in one of the big conferences.

Jonny Flynn played against all that NBA talent in the Big East though so I am sure he is dominating these days.  What's he up to?

Every draft has busts and lower rated guys who end up being better than those picked higher. Who wouldn't rather have Ty Lawson or Jrue Holiday than Johnny Flynn right now? After what Lawson did all of 2009 at UNC, him being drafted as low as he was was stupid, anyway. Jury's still out on Tyreke Evans (career 17ppg guy who's been on bad squads) and Ricky Rubio (was injured). The hype surrounding Rubio was ridiculous at the time, which is why he was taken where he was, and there had been articles comparing Evans to Lebron James when he was in High School, and based on potential, he was still rated highly, but not #1 high, so where he was taken was understood. 

Are you also going to apply the same logic to the Kwame Brown draft where the best player from that class, arguably, ended up being Tony Parker who was the 28th pick? Hindsight is 20/20. Everyone knew that Curry would need to be a PG, whether they were sure he'd end up being a good one or not doesn't change the fact that McDermott won't be able to keep up with NBA-level small forwards, nor will he be able to bang with NBA power forwards. His questions surround things that can't be taught, whereas people just wondered if Steph could run a team, handle the ball and distribute it. His problems weren't serious, but he was also drafted "about right" based on everything else considered at the time.

McDermott shouldn't be in the lottery, and wouldn't be if the top of this draft was as good as the media claims. I don't think it is. Trade the pick. 

Edited by ThinkAboutIt, 19 June 2014 - 10:38 PM.

#169 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,952 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:35 PM

man no. What positives come out of this?!?!? We could get Randle. Garry Harris. SCORERS!! Something we need. Yall want Thad he plays good D and is a finisher but he can't do much of anything els.e

I am not keen on trading #9, however, Young averaged 18 ppg last year. 

Edited by teeray, 19 June 2014 - 10:36 PM.

#170 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,952 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:37 PM

Every draft has busts and lower rated guys who end up being better than those picked higher. Who wouldn't rather have Ty Lawson or Jrue Holiday than Johnny Flynn right now? After what Lawson did all of 2009 at UNC, him being drafted as low as he was was stupid, anyway. Jury's still out on Tyreke Evans (career 17ppg guy who's been on bad squads) and Ricky Rubio (was injured). The hype surrounding Rubio was ridiculous at the time, which is why he was taken where he was, and there had been articles comparing Evans to Lebron James when he was in High School, and based on potential, he was still rated highly, but not #1 high, so where he was taken was understood. 

Are you also going to apply the same logic to the Kwame Brown draft where the best player from that class, arguably, ended up being Tony Parker who was the 28th pick? Hindsight is 20/20. Everyone knew that Curry would need to be a PG, whether they were sure he'd end up being a good one or not doesn't change the fact that McDermott won't be able to keep up with NBA-level small forwards, nor will he be able to bang with NBA power forwards. His questions surround things that can't be taught, whereas people just wondered if Steph could run a team, handle the ball and distribute it. His problems weren't serious. 

Yes.  If you could draft from the position of hindsight everyone would be pretty good at drafting.  You missed the point

#171 ThinkAboutIt

ThinkAboutIt

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:41 PM

Yes.  If you could draft from the position of hindsight everyone would be pretty good at drafting.  You missed the point

I didn't miss the point. You're trying to compare questions about Curry at the time to McDermott's now, and I'm saying it's apples (PG skills?) and oranges (physical tools necessary for what position, exactly?).

#172 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 25,508 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:43 PM

Lol you've never seen Lewis play... He has a great perimeter game and and can also play down low; not to mention he fits our system perfectly.

Randle is an undersized forward with no outside game who does not fit our system... Quit looking to add what you think are the best players and try to build the best roster that fits together (i.e. the Spurs). Randle could not play with Jefferson because they both need to play on the block.

Oh and Garry Harris is a midget. Good luck to him getting his shot off at the next level.

Rookies aren't going to come in and be game-changers, the east is down right now... adding veterans gives us a chance compete right now.

Edited by CarolinaPanthers8789, 19 June 2014 - 10:45 PM.

#173 SuperJTheGreat

SuperJTheGreat

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:52 PM

Lol you've never seen Lewis play... He has a great perimeter game and and can also play down low; not to mention he fits our system perfectly.

Randle is an undersized forward with no outside game who does not fit our system... Quit looking to add what you think are the best players and try to build the best roster that fits together (i.e. the Spurs). Randle could not play with Jefferson because they both need to play on the block.

Oh and Garry Harris is a midget. Good luck to him getting his shot off at the next level.

Rookies aren't going to come in and be game-changers, the east is down right now... adding veterans gives us a chance compete right now.

Complete bs.  6' 9 and 19 years old is undersized for PF?!?? no. no no. AL is leaving soon if we keep going at this rate. THAD is trash. He played with the 26ers last year his stats are very inflated. And Garry can play the 1.

Edited by SuperJTheGreat, 19 June 2014 - 10:52 PM.

#174 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,952 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:54 PM

I didn't miss the point. You're trying to compare questions about Curry at the time to McDermott's now, and I'm saying it's apples (PG skills?) and oranges (physical tools necessary for what position, exactly?).

More like granny apples to red apples.  More similar than dissimilar.  People were also questioning whether he had the quickness to defend PGs and the strength or length to defend 2 guards.  Many were not sure how he would fit.

nbadraft.net:

Far below NBA standard in regard to explosivenes and athleticism ... At 6-2, he's extremely small for the NBA shooting guard position, and it will likely keep him from being much of a defender at the next level ... Although he's playing point guard this year, he's not a natural point guard that an NBA team can rely on to run a team ... Struggles defensively getting around screens ... Can overshoot and rush into shots from time to time (vs. WV) ... Hasn't had to deal with getting benched due to poor performance (shooting) which has allowed him to shoot through any slumps. Will have to adjust to not being a volume shooter which could have an effect on his effectiveness ... Doesn’t like when defenses are too physical with him ... Not a great finisher around the basket due to his size and physical attributes ... Makes some silly mistakes at the PG position. Needs to add some muscles to his upper body, but appears as though he'll always be skinny

They absolutely questioned his physical tools necessary to play either position in the NBA.

You could almost substitute McDermott for Curry and get the same exact scouting report.

Edited by teeray, 19 June 2014 - 10:56 PM.

#175 SuperJTheGreat

SuperJTheGreat

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:58 PM

I have come to the conclusion that some of you guys are just have a terrible eye for talent. 

#176 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 25,508 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:04 PM

Complete bs.  6' 9 and 19 years old is undersized for PF?!?? no. no no. AL is leaving soon if we keep going at this rate. THAD is trash. He played with the 26ers last year his stats are very inflated. And Garry can play the 1.

Yes... 6'10 is your average height for a power forward making Randle undersized... he's essentially Thaddeus Young without an outside game or a court vision. 

Secondly, there is no way Jefferson is leaving. Cho and Jordan probably won't even let him get to free agency.

Finally, you're naive. Lewis (who is a stretch four, which fits our system) averaged 18 points per game on 45% shooting (the lowest of his career). Lewis is a career 50% shooter but was the main focus of the Sixers offense leading teams to double him. It didn't matter as he still average 18 ppg (45% shooting), 6 rpg, and 2.3 apg.

Yeah.... he's trash lol.

#177 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 25,508 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:06 PM

I have come to the conclusion that some of you guys are just have a terrible eye for talent. 

More like there are a lot of people on this board that don't understand that finding the right fit for the team is more important than finding the best player... (see: Melo in NY, Love in Minn, Irving in Cleveland).

#178 ThinkAboutIt

ThinkAboutIt

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:59 PM

You must be talking about the McDermott fan club, or else you don't know what you're talking about, lol. 

Edited by ThinkAboutIt, 20 June 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#179 ThinkAboutIt

ThinkAboutIt

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

More like granny apples to red apples.  More similar than dissimilar.  People were also questioning whether he had the quickness to defend PGs and the strength or length to defend 2 guards.  Many were not sure how he would fit.

nbadraft.net:

Far below NBA standard in regard to explosivenes and athleticism ... At 6-2, he's extremely small for the NBA shooting guard position, and it will likely keep him from being much of a defender at the next level ... Although he's playing point guard this year, he's not a natural point guard that an NBA team can rely on to run a team ... Struggles defensively getting around screens ... Can overshoot and rush into shots from time to time (vs. WV) ... Hasn't had to deal with getting benched due to poor performance (shooting) which has allowed him to shoot through any slumps. Will have to adjust to not being a volume shooter which could have an effect on his effectiveness ... Doesn’t like when defenses are too physical with him ... Not a great finisher around the basket due to his size and physical attributes ... Makes some silly mistakes at the PG position. Needs to add some muscles to his upper body, but appears as though he'll always be skinny

They absolutely questioned his physical tools necessary to play either position in the NBA.

You could almost substitute McDermott for Curry and get the same exact scouting report.

What in there didn't I say already?

Of course they wondered if he could play PG, which I said, but they knew he'd have to play PG, like I said. 

Edited by ThinkAboutIt, 20 June 2014 - 03:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users