Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ecu88

GMO

139 posts in this topic

^^ these last two comments show that rippadon just pwned this thread and you guys now have no other option than to resort to jokes

^^ these last two comments show that rippadon just pwned this thread and you guys now have no other option than to resort to jokes

I actually never read his post. Will now though :) 

When government is in bed with the big corporations, research will be biased, skewed and misleading; hence, the lack of research and more speculation from minimum studies that would cost outrageous amounts of money to show any correlation to resemble facts in the public's eyes. Since big corporations have key interests in lobbying the government, many studies to prove cause effect studies are left unfunded that can possibly prove products to be harmful and lead to unintended consequences.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

This is convenient to say, but if you look at the research, there have been hundreds of papers on this topic.  You are basically saying that those scientists involved in them (at minimum several hundred) are all crooks.  That is not true, and while you are partially correct that it can be harder to do this kind of research, that's because a lot of it has been done.  Bt has been *Extensively* studied, in many species of mammals.  All the initial research on it was also done *in* insects, since it's been used in pest control for >50 years.  Hell, it's used b the organic food industry.  On top of that, CCD didn't begin until the mid 2000s, when GMO crops had been around for more than a decade.  It's possible there was a time lag, but evidence suggests other causes than Bt.

Mav I think it's genetically engineered BT that's causing trouble. BT is a naturally occuring toxin of course. Chemical companies should have a very limited role in something that by necessity should be as "natural" as it can possibly be for healths sake.

Not sure what you're saying here.  Each strain of BT is highly specific to a group of insects.  In our lab, we use a strain of BT to control mosquitoes, but it has very little damage to non-target organisms.  It's possible it is killing bees but there have been dozens of studies on that very fact (which I linked 5 from earlier) which suggested that field dosages are not high enough.  There are also many other proposed reasons for it.  The idea that because something is toxic to one organism it is to all is kinda weird given the use of antifungals and antibiotics for human health.

When former lawyers from these companies in question here go on to become head of the FDA and go on to sit on the Supreme Court influence shifts against the will and welfare of regular citizens as far choice goes. Rights are trampled upon. These genetically modified foods should be labeled and a person should be allowed to choose. These corps don't want labeling. Why? People have the right to shop elsewhere where "GMO's" are banned so the market will correct but what about the bees or the land that has been contaminated by these insecticide oozing plants they've engineered and forced into the market.

I don't have a big problem with GMO labeling, but that's also because I already know quite a bit about it.  I'm wondering why we don't require the labeling of pesticide use as well, then - even in organics, which use one of the pest control methods people here seem so opposed to.

One of these companies scientist insist on "organic" foods being in their cafeteria. Why won't they eat it?

Which company?  Because that's a popular Monsanto myth.  

1 person likes this

He's quoting outright falsehoods, and has done no real research into the peer reviewed literature.  Which I suppose isn't surprising, but it's frustrating that people would rather believe alarmists that have no scientific evidence beyond debunked studies as opposed to scientists that have actually worked on this stuff.

A lot of what he has in his posts you can simply google to find out if it's true.

Let me demonstrate:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Does+Monsanto+only+serve+organic+food%3F

1 person likes this

How so? He gave no evidence that all GMOs are harmful, he just simply said many of these companies are corrupt which no one is really disagreeing with. 

Btw I have no issue with products being labeled that it contains GMOs. People should know what they are eating. However i don't find that very useful because simply saying it's been genetically modified it's not specific enough.  Most products will have to be labeled and I imagine most people will still buy them. 

2 people like this

I think it'd be fuging awesome to know what genes are in the food I eat, because I think that's badass.  I already know nearly everything I eat is GMO, so...

This thread reminded me that I need to buy some roundup when I go to Lowes today. 

This thread reminded me that I need to buy some roundup when I go to Lowes today. 

I cannot believe you support such a rotten corporation.  

Home depot is much better. 

I cannot believe you support such a rotten corporation.  

Home depot is much better. 

Home Depot is a 15 mile drive through the busiest part of town.  Lowe's is right down the street, so I am saving gas and the enviroment by going there.  :)

1 person likes this

It wasn't a joke.