Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GMO

139 posts in this topic

Posted

A few days ago, I was reading an article on the history of Corn (I was bored :)).  Corn as we know it today or even as we knew it 150 years ago, didn't exist 8000 years ago, or at least we wouldn't recognize corn from that era.  The plants were small and only produced 1 1 inch cob per plant. Corn has been modified quite a bit since its original ancestor started being consumed by humans.

Modifications in and of themselves don't bother me, its the speed at which it happens nowadays.  While the folks that do it try to find out all the consequences of a particular modification, they can't test for all scenarios, and it can take years before something pops up.  

I think this is true of more or less anything we do, though - the weird thing about targetting Bt is that it has been around for 50+ years as a pest control method and has been tested extensively, so it's a little different than some of modifications made... I think a lot of the fear about it is lack of knowledge of it as well as the literature surrounding it

Posted

It's funny watching you guys go into defensive denial mode :P

Posted

Do you guys turn a blind eye to this stuff because there's nothing we can do to fix it or because you're too scared to accept it?

Posted

...or because "insert sarcastic joke here: ____________?"

Posted

Do you guys turn a blind eye to this stuff because there's nothing we can do to fix it or because you're too scared to accept it?

Turn a blind eye to what, exactly?

I spent a great deal of time researching health effects of GMOs in mammals and insects last year.  I actually read a bunch of literature on it after I saw a talk on how Monsanto's scientists find new proteins to target different insect groups.  After I read the literature, I came to the conclusion that, at least for Bt, there is no health effects in humans. Add to this that the various anti-GMO claims are all easily debunked, it's hard for me to get behind any of that stuff.

None of that excuses Monsanto's actions a business, but you are one of many that continue to perpetuate false claims about GMO foods and are part of the problem, not the solution.  So long as extremists parrot falsehoods about GMO foods, as if the process was somehow a problem and not the corporations exploiting farmers with insane rules, I think we will have trouble causing actual change.

1 person likes this

Posted

Neither

It's actually because you're like a fly attracted to fringe horseshit splattered all over the blogosphere and YouTube coming on this forum daily like an unwanted houseguest (i.e., fly that just rummaged through a pile of poo slipping through a hole in the screen door) and shedding rests of poo everywhere you perch

Posted

Why do you feel not agreeing with you = "turning a blind eye to it?
1 person likes this

Posted

Smh

Posted

Smh

Rsb?

Posted

Rsb?

My bff Jill

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted

Why do you feel not agreeing with you = "turning a blind eye to it?

Because my view is based on truth duhhhh

And apparently you guys CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH

Posted

He's quoting outright falsehoods, and has done no real research into the peer reviewed literature. Which I suppose isn't surprising, but it's frustrating that people would rather believe alarmists that have no scientific evidence beyond debunked studies as opposed to scientists that have actually worked on this stuff.

A lot of what he has in his posts you can simply google to find out if it's true.

Let me demonstrate:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Does+Monsanto+only+serve+organic+food%3F

You very well may be reading "studies" that have been paid for by the companies themselves. Scientists "opinions" will change according to who's paying. I think you would know that.

You can qoute "studies" but while you stir the pot for your employer the earth is in the process of suffering a great catastrophe if your "studies" are wrong and skewed. Fact is bees are dying off and that is not good! ANYTHING to stop it is what we need not somebody defending a paycheck. We have too many of those guys these days.