Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obama's student loan program.

123 posts in this topic

Posted

I love school, I love learning what I'm learning , and I'm sure I'll love applying my skills and knowledge in my career field when I'm done in a few years. Would I rather be sipping Margaritas on the beach in the Bahamas? Sure, but unfortunately that's not feasible. So here we are.

Sent from my XT907 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted

I love school, I love learning what I'm learning , and I'm sure I'll love applying my skills and knowledge in my career field when I'm done in a few years. Would I rather be sipping Margaritas on the beach in the Bahamas? Sure, but unfortunately that's not feasible. So here we are.

No disrespect, but you are still a student and have never had a real job....lol

You know NOTHING about working for a living...having adult responsibilities....raising and paying for a family....pay for a mortgage, kid's braces, dr visits, etc

Come back and talk to us about working for a living when you are all grown up

Posted

That's awesome, happy for you, but the real World will kick in.

Sipping those boat drinks is possible, but you will have to work hard to get there, and I can promise you this, you will not love it.

What do you want to do for a living?

Posted

Says somebody that probably isn't doing what they love

I'm a software engineer and I love doing what I do.  But to pretend it's all rainbows and butterflies is bullshit.  Some days are great, some days suck.  Some companies I've worked for have been great, some have sucked.  Yet I get to choose where I work because there's an insane demand for my skill set.  

I've always loved music and started playing guitar at 13.  In college a took a bunch of music courses and got a gig with another guy playing at a swanky steakhouse.  I've always been able to sit down and play for hours and hours, but as soon as I started getting paid to do it and was doing on someone else's schedule, it sucked.

2 people like this

Posted

I'm a software engineer and I love doing what I do.  But to pretend it's all rainbows and butterflies is bullshit.  Some days are great, some days suck.  Some companies I've worked for have been great, some have sucked.  Yet I get to choose where I work because there's an insane demand for my skill set.  

I've always loved music and started playing guitar at 13.  In college a took a bunch of music courses and got a gig with another guy playing at a swanky steakhouse.  I've always been able to sit down and play for hours and hours, but as soon as I started getting paid to do it and was doing on someone else's schedule, it sucked.

Exactly.

You can enjoy what you do.  But, 99 out of 100 people could probably think of something else they would rather do on a typical Monday morning that head off to work.

Posted

Exactly.

You can enjoy what you do. But, 99 out of 100 people could probably think of something else they would rather do on a typical Monday morning that head off to work.

I for one, love going to work on Mondays, that means we get to have our weekly staff meeting and watch Game of Thrones.............of course that is over now till next season, so I guess Mondays will suck again.

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

1 person likes this

Posted

Nobody knows what they love at age 20. Well a very few people do. They have a passion for helping animals or have a burning desire to change the world though politics. 99% of us want a small paycheck with some benefits starting out. And then one day you maybe get to change your job into something you love. I did but I would have taken whatever job included an offer letter after spending 1 year delivering pizzas out of college.

2 people like this

Posted

Nobody knows what they love at age 20. Well a very few people do. They have a passion for helping animals or have a burning desire to change the world though politics. 99% of us want a small paycheck with some benefits starting out. And then one day you maybe get to change your job into something you love. I did but I would have taken whatever job included an offer letter after spending 1 year delivering pizzas out of college.

Exactly.

Interesting how your perspective on a lot of things change when you have financial responsibilites as an adult.

Wait until you have that wife, kids, mortgage, etc...

Posted

I am a Network Security Engineer, and there are parts of it I find interesting, while other parts are dull.  I enjoy it at times, but I certainly don't love it.  I love studying history and visiting historical sites, but if I started doing history related stuff for a living it would get old real quick.  Plus network security employment pays better and affords me the opportunity to do the things I love when I am not working.

Posted

I am a Network Security Engineer, and there are parts of it I find interesting, while other parts are dull.  I enjoy it at times, but I certainly don't love it.  I love studying history and visiting historical sites, but if I started doing history related stuff for a living it would get old real quick.  Plus network security employment pays better and affords me the opportunity to do the things I love when I am not working.

You are spot on.

Find something that you "enjoy" or "find interesting".  But, at the end of the day it is still a job....and there will be parts of it that you don't love or like.

There are very few people who love their job so much that they would rather go to work than take a day off.

Working in a job that you hate.....now that is completely different.

Posted

A job is simply a means to an end. Anyone who allows their work to define who they are as a person has no life, no aspirations and no future they can imagine, picture, strive for or otherwise even grasp simply because they live to work.

Enjoy what you, for sure, because it makes for a better atmosphere and the time clock moves faster if you're enjoying what you're doing. When I was working, I flipped the switch everyday into work mode and when I left, I flipped it again and went back to my normal self. I've actually had people who worked with me for years tell me they never knew anything about my personal life. Good. I'm not at work to socialize and be everyone's buddy. I'm earning a paycheck to pay the bills and set myself up for a better life down the road and I'm not sure how working toward that goal involves a daily coffee-clatch of my co-workers.

1 person likes this

Posted

For all the back and forth here, I think the point that a college education is not the value it once was, has been lost in the discussion.

What gives the right to colleges to go up on tuition at 5 times the rate of inflation each year for the last 30 yrs?

Everyone just thinks they have to have the sheepskin but our economy is not producing jobs which make a sheepskin worthwhile.

I know guys who have learned a trade right out of high school that knock down between $70-90K per year, while people mounting debt over 4-5 yrs of college are happy for an asst mgr job at Walgreens paying $25k per year.  They cannot even afford to pay back the loans, much less a car payment, much less move out from their folks.

Where is the value?

Everyone deserves to go to college?  Bull

If a degree is so watered down the everyone has one, then its value is lost, especially with the soaring costs.

And I went to a private school, paid every dime of my costs by working through school, each summer and break and paid off my loans within about 7 years after graduation. Would have paid them off sooner, but their rate was 2% and I was making 5% interest on savings at the time.  I guess the accounting degree paid off somewhat.

1 person likes this