74 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Igo

Jeremy Igo

Administrator

• MFCEO
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

The Carolina Panthers opened up their annual mini-camp in the blistering heat. That heat, however, did not keep them from participating in one of the most impressive mini-camps I have seen. It felt less like a June mini-camp and more like an early August Spartanburg practice.

This is not to say the day didn't have some light hearted and even touching moments...

Cam Newton rolled up flashing an award winning smile, and he had good reason. Cam was playing host to rising first grader George Gring who attended practice through the efforts of the Make A Wish foundation. George, who was diagnosed with Burkitt’s Lymphoma ,wished to play football with Cam Newton. Cam went the extra mile and acquired matching gold cleats for George.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As Cam was stretching, he was having his fingers taped up. This got jeers from the Panthers defense, who were taunting him with "Does Cam have a boo boo?"

I spotted Kelvin Benjamin on the sidelines learning how to juggle. Tennis balls have been a common theme this year. Time will tell if they had an impact on hand eye coordination.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Practice started with punt returns. The punt returners in order were Antoine Cason, Kenjon Barner, and Philly Brown. Of the three, Cason continued to look the most promising and reliable. While no balls were dropped, Barner did have a bobble.

Byron Bell and Nate Chandler again split time at left and right tackle throughout the day. Garry Williams was also thrown into the mix. Ron Rivera after practice describes Williams as a "Jack of all trades", indicating he will be used everywhere along the line this season.
Posted Image

One area where Chandler has an all too obvious edge is getting off the ball quickly. Notice the difference in body positions in the above picture. Chandler, while giving up a bit of bulk to Bell, has much lighter feet.

Offensive line drills began and were very physical. They worked on a variety of techniques under harsh criticism.

Posted Image

Then, the practice really began. The day was filled with spirited offense versus defense play with a bit of contact.

Stock Rising:
  • Brandon Williams. Williams saw extended time with the first string today. He grabbed a couple of nice throws over the middle and on a quick out. He was also used as a lead blocker at times.
  • Bene Benwikere. Benwikere abused Underwood on an extended pass play, blanketing him and helping to cause what would have been a sack.
  • Trai Turner. Turner continues to impress and has the most nimble feet of any guard in recent memory. His pulling to the left to block for Deangelo Williams got me very excited.
  • Chris Scott. Scott made it onto the practice field today and participated fully. That is a win for him.
  • Mike McNeil. Mike had the best grab of the day in the end zone, leaping over Colin Jones who could not make the play.
Stock Falling:
  • Byron Bell. Bell struggled most of the day today. On one play in particular, Mario Addison was able to get low and gain the outside edge on Bell with ease, resulting in a would be sack. Bell also struggled in blitz pickup, allowing blitzing linebacker DJ Smith to get the the quarterback. Which leads us to the next falling...
  • Blitz Pickup. Head coach Ron Rivera remarked after practice "Sean put in some new blitzes today, they were new and different for our offense to try to pick up". There needs to be much improvement in this area if we want Cam Newton to stay healthy.
  • Marvin McNutt. While McNutt did make a few routine catches, he missed a ball that he had to extend for that did hit him in the hands. You have to make those plays if you want to make the roster.
Overall, it was a solid practice that both showcased what the Panthers can do but also a few opportunities for improvement.

Click here to view the article

#2 Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

great news about Brandon and Bene

#3 bonafidebanter

bonafidebanter

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:10 PM

Man, that OL scares the snot out of me. Let's hope they will improve and hold up this year. 

#4 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,157 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

when did Cluasen get re-signed?  i forgot how much Cam dwarfed him

#5 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Superior Member

• HUDDLER
  • 3,226 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

But not so good with Underwood since he is supposed to be our burner.  Should be able to pull away from a DB.

#6 rscott94

rscott94

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

Really hope a veteran OLinemen gets cut... I'm ready for this Byron Bell experiment to be over with.

I'm fine with him as depth but there's no way he's a starter. 

#7 lola

lola

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

I had a dream the other night that Byron Bell was waiting tables at 131 Main. No relevance to this thread whatsoever, it just made me remember that.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

#8 SpeedOFLight

SpeedOFLight

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationGreensboro NC

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

I love the photo with Cam hanging with the little kid. Thats awesome. I bet that made the kid's day. Great photos as always man

#9 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,844 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

The notes about Turner make me giddy... the notes about Bell make me scared.

#10 Panthers8969

Panthers8969

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:02 PM

I have high hopes for TT him and AS should be bright spots on the line along with kalil which is a given

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

#11 Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

Really hope a veteran OLinemen gets cut... I'm ready for this Byron Bell experiment to be over with.

I'm fine with him as depth but there's no way he's a starter. 

yeah this is beginning to look even more important than ever.  I really hope some overpaid tackle on a team that

just drafted one falls victim to a cost cutting move SOON

#12 SuperJTheGreat

SuperJTheGreat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

Cam is the man

#13 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,672 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

I've come to terms with Bell and Chandler at the OT spots. It's going to be subpar at this point even if we bring in an outcast vet.

#14 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:31 PM

i think Gring has an outside shot at the roster if Webb doesn't start to show more potential as a reliable back up.

#15 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,723 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

I've come to terms with Bell and Chandler at the OT spots. It's going to be subpar at this point even if we bring in an outcast vet.

at this point i'd settle for at just one of them not sucking.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com