Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KJ89

US Patent Office cancels Redskins trademark

282 posts in this topic

This doesn't really mean a whole lot other than they can't put the circle "r" on stuff anymore. They still have common law rights that would allow them to defend their brand against plagiarism and unlawful reproduction. You can't just go screen printing Redskins gear any more now than before.

I wonder if people would feel the same way if there was a team called the Carolina Crackers or Houston Trailer Trash Hicks 

Although when speaking colloquially they may seem like the same idea; when you consider the countries that have called themselves democratic republics versus representative republics you have comparisons such as the US versus the DPRK.

Gotcha.  So in other words, someone didn't like the name and changed it.  A lot of the countries that call and/or called themselves democratic republics were far from either democratic or republic.  That doesn't change the definition of the term.  It just means that those countries mislabeled themselves.

I wonder if people would feel the same way if there was a team called the Carolina Crackers or Houston Trailer Trash Hicks 

With how much "yankee" is used as a derogative term on this board about us northern folk, maybe I should be offended by that piece of poo franchise little more north than me.

Don't get the people who are behind this campaign confused with the people it actually affects. Go up to a native American and say that. Tell Native Americans to stop being butt hurt over a white billionaire profiting off a name that is derogatory to them. I dare you. If you won't, then shut it.

That's the thing... More white people are trying to get rich off of suing the name. It's not just Snyder.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

We need a group hug.

Ah, nothing like a good political debate to get the ol' juices flowing.

Somebody start a pooty thread so we can get off this one.

I wish there was one truth everyone would be happy with. This could apply to anything. I'm tired of society being so polarized.

I wish there was one truth everyone would be happy with. This could apply to anything. I'm tired of society being so polarized.

in fairness here we all at least just hate the redskins

4 people like this

I was talking to my African American friend the other day and asked him what names he thought were racist. He said he hated being called black, insisting he was brown. This got me thinking, I'm 1/8 Cherokee and am in no regards pure white. Unless you can claim to be albino, then you aren't either. I'm just pondering why white people are called such instead of "European Americans".

Sent from my SCH-R970 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app