Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KJ89

US Patent Office cancels Redskins trademark

280 posts in this topic

No trademark by which the goods of the applicant may be distinguished from the goods of others shall be refused registration on the principal register on account of its nature unless it—

(a) Consists of or comprises immoral, deceptive, or scandalous matter; or matter which may disparage or falsely suggest a connection with persons, living or dead, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols, or bring them into contempt, or disrepute; or a geographical indication which, when used on or in connection with wines or spirits, identifies a place other than the origin of the goods and is first used on or in connection with wines or spirits by the applicant on or after one year after the date on which the WTO Agreement (as defined in section 3501 (9) of title 19) enters into force with respect to the United States.
emphasis mine

Due to the limitation bolded above I can understand why there would be a legal basis for this ruling.  Now it's up to the Redskins to show that it is not in violation of the above if they appeal.  I don't think they are going to be able to do so.  Bribery or name change may be the only options.

On a personal note I don't really care about it other than I have a slight fear this will cause some amount of enmity between the native people and the people lacking nous. 

Thanks a lot, Obama.

I've already seen blaming of him all over the internet.  Humans are ridiculous.

Good, anything that causes Snyder and all the stupid local Skins fans grief is music to my ears.

Sent from my SM-N900V using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

2 people like this

Some people's argument against changing the name is only a vocal minority wants it changed.  In other words, the name doesn't offend most native americans.  Firstly, we don't actually know how many natives are openly offended by the name.  Secondly if numbers were the case here and most were offended by the name, the indication is the reaction would be changing the name.  Well what then if most people were offended by team names like the Saints, Bucs, Raiders, etc.?  As long as we get enough people offended by those names, it's okay to change them to.  Yet, if we got enough numbers for everyone of those teams to change their names, I'm 100% sure the people who use the numbers argument would still complain about all those name changes.  So ultimately, numbers don't matter with this.  It doesn't matter if no one was openly bothered by the Washington name, it's has a negative history.  Doesn't matter what it meant originally, it definitely had a discriminatory past.  For that reason alone, the name should be changed.  Leave all the other stuff aside.

Some people's argument against changing the name is only a vocal minority wants it changed.  In other words, the name doesn't offend most native americans.  Firstly, we don't actually know how many natives are openly offended by the name.  Secondly if numbers were the case here and most were offended by the name, the indication is the reaction would be changing the name.  Well what then if most people were offended by team names like the Saints, Bucs, Raiders, etc.?  As long as we get enough people offended by those names, it's okay to change them to.  Yet, if we got enough numbers for everyone of those teams to change their names, I'm 100% sure the people who use the numbers argument would still complain about all those name changes.  So ultimately, numbers don't matter with this.  It doesn't matter if no one was openly bothered by the Washington name, it's has a negative history.  Doesn't matter what it meant originally, it definitely had a discriminatory past.  For that reason alone, the name should be changed.  Leave all the other stuff aside.

No one is making them change the name.  This is an argument about the legality of the Redskins trademark. There are other obvious motives behind gaining a favorable ruling but that is the nature of pursuit of profit.  Even if one person is interested in pursuing the case they have the right to do so within the law.  

So you're right that the numbers do not matter but for not the reason that you want.

If Star Trek were to come out today it would be cancelled in the first month for being racist.  It is like Rick Nelson said, "If you can't please everyone, you got to please yourself".

If I mean no offense, screw the offended. 

I'm not going to argue whether the name is right or wrong, my stance all along was that if the name was going to be changed it should be a choice made by the Washington organization, not something forced by the government.

The fuging patent office of all things cancelling a trademark (potentially costing millions of dollars) because the name is not PC is complete horseshit

4 people like this

Two things:

1. If they do change it there will be a lot of people who stop following the team. Boost in the number of Panthers fans, yay!

2. It may be an offensive term, I don't know. Never heard a joke about it or someone called it in a derogatory way.  I only hear what I hear on tv or read.  But, I have a hard time believing that Washington named their team to poke fun at, disparage, or insult anyone.  I have always looked at their logo/name and equated it with bravery, pride, strength, etc.  It never crossed my mind that it could be offensive.  I'm not Native American and don't presuppose to know how they feel about it. It makes no logical sense that someone would knowingly name a team in this vein.  With that said, if there is a majority of Native Americans who are offended by it I think they should change it.  I don't really care if white people, black people, or hispanics (or politicians, government agencies, tv talking heads, or my grandma) are offended by it because they are not the offended.  

It is interesting however that California State UNiversity did a study and found that 67% of Native Americans are offended by the name. 

But...

Three Virginia Native American tribes are not offended by it (Patawomeck, Pamunkey, and Rappahannock tribes).  Chief for the Patawomeck tribe said 98% of his tribe were Redskins fans.  Chief of the Pamunkey tribe is a Redskins fan. Chief of the Rappahannock tribe is more upset with the controversy than the name itself and doesn't really care, "not a real thing" to be upset about.  

Bottom line, I don't have a strong feeling either way and to pretend I do is disingenious. 

Being politically correct and not being a bigoted piece of poo are two entirely different things.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CarolinaHuddle mobile app