Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KJ89

US Patent Office cancels Redskins trademark

based on what, exactly?

Like a phone call telling him to pull the patents.

This administration has overstepped its bounds over and over again.

when will it stop though? I just think it is a very slippery slope when you have uncle sam telling a business owner to change the name of his company because it may or may not offend someone.

Slippery Slope is called a logical fallacy for a reason.

And for you supporters of a name change, yall do realize you are the vast MINORITY in this matter? I get sick of being called an ignorant bigot, (which is completely opposite of who I am), just because I am not a part of the 15-20% of the population who whine long and loud enough to get my way.

Yeah! Fug two out of every ten Americans! You do realize that 15 to 20% is actually a huge portion of Americans. Like massive. 20% is greater than the population of Americans who are black, gay, Jewish, Asian, etc. So you're saying every time an issue comes up that affects one of those groups, Fug 'em! They aren't the majority.

Minorities still deserve a voice. Just because that voice is being drowned out doesn't mean it's not valid.

when will it stop though? I just think it is a very slippery slope when you have uncle sam telling a business owner to change the name of his company because it may or may not offend someone. And for you supporters of a name change, yall do realize you are the vast MINORITY in this matter? I get sick of being called an ignorant bigot, (which is completely opposite of who I am), just because I am not a part of the 15-20% of the population who whine long and loud enough to get my way.

I went to school a hundred years ago at High Point Central HS and was a Bison. You want to know what happened to the Bison that used to roam the continental US? The Indians ran them off cliffs!

I am in no way, shape, or form a racist of any kind. It's the slippery slope of taking a word literally and then finding someone to be offended by it... It would, however, help if the men in this country took off their girlfriend's skinny jeans and let those puppies breath for a minute.

That is all. Go Panthers.

What if they had been the High Point Central N******?

Redskins is a racist term and needs to go away. To me it has nothing to do with being PC and everything to do with treating other human beings with respect and dignity.

oh no, the slippery slope!

the kennedy adminstration actually threatened to kick the redskins out of their stadium unless they brought in black players 50 years ago.  that's uncle sam meddling in freaking roster decisions.  this is nothing and, as pointed out previously, has happened before.

by the way pilot2011, i remember the breathtakingly ignorant poo you posted a while back when the amendment one stuff was going on and i don't buy this "i'm not bigoted" crap from you for a second.

when will it stop though? I just think it is a very slippery slope when you have uncle sam telling a business owner to change the name of his company because it may or may not offend someone. And for you supporters of a name change, yall do realize you are the vast MINORITY in this matter? I get sick of being called an ignorant bigot, (which is completely opposite of who I am), just because I am not a part of the 15-20% of the population who whine long and loud enough to get my way.

I went to school a hundred years ago at High Point Central HS and was a Bison. You want to know what happened to the Bison that used to roam the continental US? The Indians ran them off cliffs!

I am in no way, shape, or form a racist of any kind. It's the slippery slope of taking a word literally and then finding someone to be offended by it... It would, however, help if the men in this country took off their girlfriend's skinny jeans and let those puppies breath for a minute.

What...

What in the hell did I just read?

Did Bill O'Reilly make an account here?

There seem to be two groups of people posting in this thread. Those that hate the redskins enough to laugh at something of little consequence to the team they will field this year and those that are interested in the legal and political ramifications of the ruling. Neither of which really belong n the Panthers sub forum. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

I went to school a hundred years ago at High Point Central HS and was a Bison. You want to know what happened to the Bison that used to roam the continental US? The Indians ran them off cliffs!

I am in no way, shape, or form a racist of any kind. It's the slippery slope of taking a word literally and then finding someone to be offended by it... It would, however, help if the men in this country took off their girlfriend's skinny jeans and let those puppies breath for a minute.

I don't think you or most who wants the team to stay the course with the name are racist.

Understand though that things change, including language. Things that were/are acceptable to say can change. If it were the Washington Braves, no one would be saying anything. If they went the Florida State route and worked with a local tribe and used their name with blessings, no one would be saying anything. The term Redskins originates from a slur and the only reason it's stood for this long is that the Native Americans who were offended by it never had the little clout they do right now.

This is the most overused example but it does work: Start up a team and name it the Blackskins and try to trademark it (provided you make it long enough to file).

What if they had been the High Point Central N******?

Redskins is a racist term and needs to go away. To me it has nothing to do with being PC and everything to do with treating other human beings with respect and dignity.

exactly. fifty years ago people were griping about politically correct libtards stopping people from using the term n******* "even though that's what they are" and with hindsight we can see that it was all about treating other people with respect and dignity all along. i wish more people could carry that perspective into the issues people deride as political correctness today.

i mean really why is it that whenever those people complain about political correctness destroying america it's always to protest society attempting to treat people with respect? it's really pretty incredible

Redskin is a more offensive term than n*****. People are just too blind and stupid to realize it.

Natives were treated far worse than Africans were ever treated in this country. They were deceived, robbed, beaten, raped, tortured, scalped, and murdered. The few that survived were forced to leave their homes and placed on government controlled reservations, where they remain to this day. Y'all think the genocide of Jews by the Nazis was bad? That was nothing compared to the mass torture and genocide of Natives by English settlers.

Redskin is a more offensive term than n*****. People are just too blind and stupid to realize it.

Natives were treated far worse than Africans were ever treated in this country. They were deceived, robbed, beaten, raped, tortured, scalped, and murdered. The few that survived were forced to leave their homes and placed on government controlled reservations, where they remain to this day. Y'all think the genocide of Jews by the Nazis was bad? That was nothing compared to the mass torture and genocide of Natives by English settlers.

And guess who started calling Natives by the term redskins? That's right, those same settlers.