Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Half of Germany's Electricity in June Provided by Solar

76 posts in this topic

Posted

"German solar demonstrated just what it is capable of in the first two weeks of June," said Tobias Rothacher, expert for renewable energies at Germany Trade & Invest, the country's economic development agency.

Analysis from the Fraunhofer ISE research institute showed solar panels in Germany generated a record 24.24 GW of electricity between 1pm and 2pm on Friday, June 6th.

And on Monday June 9th, which was a national holiday, solar power production peaked at 23.1 GW, which equalled 50.6 percent of total electricity demand - setting another milestone.

http://www.thelocal.de/20140619/germany-produces-half-of-electricity-needs-with-solar-power

This is what happens when your government isn't bought and paid for by oil money.

bush-lay-enron.jpg

5 people like this

Posted

24.24 gigawatts????  Great Scott!!!

6 people like this

Posted

Is it oil or energy companies?

Posted

I think that's fantastic. I keep hearing that solar is to the point now that it's worth the investment in the equipment. Maybe we'll get there.

2 people like this

Posted

I know my parents had them on their house in Florida when I was a kid. Not sure if he gathered enough power to run his Xmas lights though

Posted

Most be nice to live in a country that wasn't bought and paid for 40 years ago.

Sent from my XT907 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted

The title of the post is misleading. Germany met half of their demand during the peak solar production. One of the two peaks mentions that the peak was over a period of one hour of the day, the other doesn't specify how long the peak lasted.

Also no one doubts that solar can be used to generate large amounts of electricity, the problem with solar is the same as with wind. Since it isnt consistant in power generation You have to keep reserve generation online for when it cant keep up with demand (ie night time/cloudy days) this makes it dificult, because it doesnt eliminate the need for the plants it supposedly replaces.

2 people like this

Posted

lol delhommey doesn't care about poo like that

Posted

What's the carbon footprint of producing those panels?

Sent from my XT1080 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted

The title of the post is misleading. Germany met half of their demand during the peak solar production. One of the two peaks mentions that the peak was over a period of one hour of the day, the other doesn't specify how long the peak lasted.

Also no one doubts that solar can be used to generate large amounts of electricity, the problem with solar is the same as with wind. Since it isnt consistant in power generation You have to keep reserve generation online for when it cant keep up with demand (ie night time/cloudy days) this makes it dificult, because it doesnt eliminate the need for the plants it supposedly replaces.

What is the point of this post other than to move the goalpost back another 10 yards?

Sent from my iPhone using Carolina

3 people like this

Posted

What is the point of this post other than to move the goalpost back another 10 yards?

It's to point out that the thread title, while not wholly inaccurate, is poorly worded and easily misinterpreted.

Posted

The point is....that even though Solar Power has come a long way, there are still major issues (that the article convenientlydoes not mention) with being able to consistenly generate the levels of energy needed as well as the major need to store energy to cover those periods where solar cannot generate the levels needed.

In short, the issue is that (as usual) those pesky little things called "facts" completely escape you.

Carry on