heel31ok

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts
  • LocationEasley, SC

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:01 AM

Ever heard of "weaning?"

We're never gonna get off the oil companies' *** if we don't start gradually transitioning to alternative forms of energy. No one is saying, "100% solar energy now!" But if a country is capable of generating half it's energy demand for any amount of time without using fossil fuels, then it's a victory.

Jeez, it's such a common trope in the Tinderbox. Literally half the issues on here, the negative position is "If we can't fix everything at once, let's do nothing."

Gun debate - "We can't stop gun crimes, so let's do nothing."

Redskins name - "Native Americans have lots of other problems they should be worried about, so let's do nothing."

Solar energy - "You can't completely replace fossil fuels at once, so let's do nothing."

Gay marriage - "This is still a Christian country and I believe in traditional marriage, so let's do nothing."

People try so hard to keep things the way they are; rationalizing the status quo. It's like they fail to realize that change is the nature of all things. Even the universe is expanding.

there is no gun debate as  long as the 2nd ammendment exists.

Redskins- that's a joke

solar energy is less reliable than a local weatherman.

Gay marriage, of course you do nothing if you don't believe in it...duh!

Edited by heel31ok, 20 June 2014 - 08:02 AM.

#17 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:12 AM

I think that's fantastic. I keep hearing that solar is to the point now that it's worth the investment in the equipment. Maybe we'll get there.

I was looking into going solar a few months ago.  Energy companies are fighting hard against it. Right now they pay some money for the energy solar users put back into the grid but they are working to start charging these solar users fees up to $100 a month and of course they have the backing of many republican politicians.  I'm looking for the article i found, if i find it i'll post. 

Edited by Cat, 20 June 2014 - 08:14 AM.

#18 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,975 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

Well we all know Duke owns McCrory and his ilk so I'm not surprised.

I know there are pros and cons to solar energy, not the least of which is the manufacture and cost of the panels, but poo, solar energy is the biggest source of free energy in the solar system... we need to utilize it.

#19 heel31ok

heel31ok

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,389 posts
  • LocationEasley, SC

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

Well we all know Duke owns McCrory and his ilk so I'm not surprised.

I know there are pros and cons to solar energy, not the least of which is the manufacture and cost of the panels, but poo, solar energy is the biggest source of free energy in the solar system... we need to utilize it.

high cost pretty much cancels the free part.

#20 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • 4,996 posts
  • LocationNot Telling... CatofWar might find me.

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:24 AM

I am not advocating that should not be a part of our energy strategy...it absolutely should.  We MUST wean ourselves off fossil fules....or at least significantly reduce our reliance on them. 

I see a healthy energy strategy as one that still utilizes fossil fuels....but incorporates solar, wind, nuclear, etc on a much larger scale.

Just pointing out that the article is a little misleading and thre are still issues that need to be worked out for solar to become a major energy player.

Yeah, I didn't mean to single you out. Just was frustrated by the general sense of negativity and cynicism that was pervasive in the thread.

#21 heel31ok

heel31ok

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,389 posts
  • LocationEasley, SC

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:26 AM

i see no rason to worry about it , one of the biggest reasons given for this is to s crew the oil companies which is ridiculous.We are not even close to running out of oil and we still have an efficient option in nuclear.even in trying to kill the coal industry we could convert coal to oil and be better off.

#22 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • 4,996 posts
  • LocationNot Telling... CatofWar might find me.

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:27 AM

Paying for something now that saves you money in the long run, or provides a financial return is called an "investment."

#23 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,975 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:34 AM

Why don't you do some research on it and report back to us since you're obviously so concerned.

#24 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

"Solar power is a pipe dream, you could never get any significant amount of energy from it!"

/Germany does just that.

"Solar power is a pipe dream, you could never get all your energy from it!"

Sent from my iPhone using Carolina

#25 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,758 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:22 AM

The most interesting part of the article is the mentioning of how so many solar panels are exceeding household demand.

Neat find, thanks Delhommey.

I don't know why we'd need solar when we have fraking and other options, though. ;)

#26 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

Much of the cost of solar comes in the form of installation costs. The panels themselves are pretty damn cheap. If you're even reasonably handy, you can install panels yourself. You'll still need an electrician to tie everything in to the breaker, but if you don't mind sacrificing a day or two, you can cut the cost of installation a tremendous amount. I priced out just material for my townhouse (I can only fit about a 2kW system, so not very big) and it came out to be less than $4000. Probably another $1000-1500 for an electrician to hook everything up.

Solar installed on a utility scale is even cheaper. I see so many people say things like "I had solar priced out for my house and it was expensive and a bad investment" and then apply that logic to all solar. Fields of solar panels (or large rooftops) can cost around $2/watt for equipment + installation. Residential can easily cost 2-3x that. Economies of scale make a huge difference in the financial viability of solar.

There has been a ton of emphasis on manufacturing panels in the last decade. This has resulted in panel prices dropping by 70-80% in that time frame. The next big push is going to be on storage systems. Elon Musk's gigafactories will certainly play a large role in this. His batteries are not fundamentally different than other batteries, but they're configured differently to allow to faster charging and way more cycles than more common lithium ion batteries. They can be fully recycled and re-used in a closed loop system.

#27 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:34 AM

The most interesting part of the article is the mentioning of how so many solar panels are exceeding household demand.

Neat find, thanks Delhommey.

I don't know why we'd need solar when we have fraking and other options, though. ;)

This happens for two reasons from my experience working in the industry.

First being that after people install solar panels, they generally become A LOT more conscious about their electricity usage. Systems generally come with monitoring software so you can see what your system is generating in real time and historically. The amount of data that you gather is pretty impressive.

Secondly, solar panels cover large sections of your roof, but they were about a 2-4" gap underneath the panels because the panels need to remain cool(ish) to operate at peak efficiency. Your roof is no longer directly absorbing the sun's heat, the panels are, but the airflow underneath the panels prevents the heat from transferring to your roof. This keeps your attic cooler, which in turn keeps your entire home cooler, lowering demand on the cooling system.

Most companies also try not to bullshit and use the lower end of projected output. It's better to exceed expectations than come up way short. These are mostly small businesses whose success depends on their reputation.

#28 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,975 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

I hear that a common use for recycled hybrid car batteries is hooking them to these solar systems.

#29 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

I hear that a common use for recycled hybrid car batteries is hooking them to these solar systems.

I guess you could, but a prius battery (on the older models anyway) only holds 1.3 kWh. The average house uses about 1000 kWh/mo, or about 33 kwH per day. I have no idea what an old battery goes for, but I can't imagine that really being a good investment. The battery packs in the Prius aren't huge, but they're not tiny either. 30 or so of them would take up a lot of space. Newer hybrid batteries are a lot smaller. The older Prius cars used nickel-hydride batteries while new ones use lithium ions.

#30 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,975 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

I guess you could, but a prius battery (on the older models anyway) only holds 1.3 kWh. The average house uses about 1000 kWh/mo, or about 33 kwH per day. I have no idea what an old battery goes for, but I can't imagine that really being a good investment. The battery packs in the Prius aren't huge, but they're not tiny either. 30 or so of them would take up a lot of space. Newer hybrid batteries are a lot smaller. The older Prius cars used nickel-hydride batteries while new ones use lithium ions.

I just read an article about this stuff this week... I'll try to find it later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com