75 replies to this topic

#51 heel31ok

heel31ok

SENIOR HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationEasley, SC
HUDDLER

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

Pretty simple analysis: sunk cost vs variable cost. One can stretch and recoupe to make as an investment, sunk cost. The other is a variable cost type investment that depends on many variables which makes it more costly in the long run. Solar is not 'the' solution but it is part of the solution. Solar still has along ways to go and technology improvements will make it more efficient and reliable in the future. Until then oil is the main solution but its erratic and volatile nature will continue to push this nation to innovate products (that use oil more efficiently or find an alternative) or produce more for ourselves.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

one solution for stablizing oil would be to treat it as a utility and regulate it as such.we need to control our natural resources as a nation which would make us independent of the destabilization from world events.the lack of oil is not the issue as much as the lack of maintaining control of our own oil.

#52 ecu88

ecu88

man your battle stations

• LocationGvegas
HUDDLER

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:19 PM

one solution for stablizing oil would be to treat it as a utility and regulate it as such.we need to control our natural resources as a nation which would make us independent of the destabilization from world events.the lack of oil is not the issue as much as the lack of maintaining control of our own oil.

It will never happen. Why can my father's Geo Metero get 42 mpg a early 90 model but yet cars struggle regularly with getting 30 mpg the same damn size in today's world.

It is possible for us to use only our oil in the future, yes. Is infrastructure ready for it, the simple answer is no. Also what about unintended consequences on global policy?

#53 heel31ok

heel31ok

SENIOR HUDDLER

• LocationEasley, SC
HUDDLER

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

It will never happen. Why can my father's Geo Metero get 42 mpg a early 90 model but yet cars struggle regularly with getting 30 mpg the same damn size in today's world.

It is possible for us to use only our oil in the future, yes. Is infrastructure ready for it, the simple answer is no. Also what about unintended consequences on global policy?

what does the Geo metro have to do with it? What infrastructure do you speak of? global policy would be created from a positon of strength.

we have enough oil that is not the problem.

#54 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

SUPPORTER

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

Pretty cool, and still a long ways from being a day in day out thing, but good that they are working on it.

#55 Niner National

Niner National

HUDDLER

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

if the cost is coming down it is not free, seriously, please dispute this.feel free to not interact all you want to but either way if I point out inconsistencies to a post or even contradiction i guess you could say that is pooping on threads. If you want to post something try to be accurate and don't whine if it is not and someone points it out.

If something costs something at all it is not free. That's how costs cancel out free. Do I need to explain further?

You're right. It's not free.

If you buy something and in the long run it generates you more money than you spent, it has negative cost, also known as profit.

Even without government incentives, solar systems will pay for themselves over their lifespan. They have no moving parts and can work indefinitely. They become less efficient over time, but there are 50 year old panels that can still generate electricity today.

#56 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• LocationWilmington, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

Pretty cool, and still a long ways from being a day in day out thing, but good that they are working on it.

This is kinda what I was thinking... we need stuff like this for a multitude of reasons.

You're right. It's not free.

If you buy something and in the long run it generates you more money than you spent, it has negative cost, also known as profit.

Even without government incentives, solar systems will pay for themselves over their lifespan. They have no moving parts and can work indefinitely. They become less efficient over time, but there are 50 year old panels that can still generate electricity today.

Hey now, don't go explaining facts to that guy... he's not having it.

#57 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

SUPPORTER

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

This is kinda what I was thinking... we need stuff like this for a multitude of reasons.

Hey now, don't go explaining facts to that guy... he's not having it.

It absolutely must be embraced, but I would prefer a private company be the initiators, not the government/taxpayers.

#58 PandaPancake

PandaPancake

#FireShula

• LocationGreeley, Co
SUPPORTER

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

Um what? I have so much oil that I have to ship all across the country because we can't sell certain types of crude to the world.

Solar is a great idea but people aren't thinking big enough. Build a solar panel satellite in geosynchronous orbit that will always have a view of the Sun. We can already turn electricity into microwaves then back to electricity. Always facing the Sun, never worry about weather, and the rays from the Sun are much more powerful in space. It's a billions of dollar project that would provide electricity for decades with little to no maintenance

Sent from my XT1080 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#59 Niner National

Niner National

HUDDLER

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

Um what? I have so much oil that I have to ship all across the country because we can't sell certain types of crude to the world.

Solar is a great idea but people aren't thinking big enough. Build a solar panel satellite in geosynchronous orbit that will always have a view of the Sun. We can already turn electricity into microwaves then back to electricity. Always facing the Sun, never worry about weather, and the rays from the Sun are much more powerful in space. It's a billions of dollar project that would provide electricity for decades with little to no maintenance

Sent from my XT1080 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

One thing I fear with the space based solar ideas is all the space debris. Solar panels are far more durable than people think, but I'm not sure they could stand up to impacts from stuff moving thousands of miles per hour. I admittedly am no expert on the matter, but I do know I read a lot about how space trash is becoming an issue.

Constructing the systems themselves would also be a tremendous undertaking. I'm not sure we have the capabilities to build something so massive in space even if the solar technology is there.

#60 Jangler

Jangler

oddly perched

HUDDLER

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

I pay for my electricity one day a month the rest of the time it is free.

lol

no really

wtf?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users