Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ahhh, Yeah, The Old Chip On The Shoulder, D. Newton Reports

46 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Here are some in depth offensive NFL rankings to support your argument. Seems pretty efficient to me.

Avg starting field position - 6th (29.16 yard line)

% of drives that let to 1st down or TD - 5th

Offensive Yards Per Drive - 11th

Offensive Points per drive - 10th

Turnovers per Drive - 7th

Time of Possesion per drive - 2nd

That was my contribution for the day.....I'm exhausted now.

thanks bud. and the only reason i knew all of this was teerays write up after the end of last season.

there is no question we need to get better at things. and i don't think of us as a top 10 offense last year.

but the hyperbole of using the 28th ranked offense is a misnomer and doesn't give credit where credit is due to Shula (who did some good things and some bad things last year)

I'm really excited about the red zone this year; with our interior guards, kb and cotchery. I think we see something similar but if a TE like Bwilliams steps up its going to be interesting to see how Shula utilizes all this talent, because we do have some talent (although unproven) on this offense.

it's going to be really exciting i think.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

thanks bud. and the only reason i knew all of this was teerays write up after the end of last season.

there is no question we need to get better at things. and i don't think of us as a top 10 offense last year.

but the hyperbole of using the 28th ranked offense is a misnomer and doesn't give credit where credit is due to Shula (who did some good things and some bad things last year)

I'm really excited about the red zone this year; with our interior guards, kb and cotchery. I think we see something similar but if a TE like Bwilliams steps up its going to be interesting to see how Shula utilizes all this talent, because we do have some talent (although unproven) on this offense.

it's going to be really exciting i think.

No problem...if you ever need any in depth stats like this just let me know. I planted a micro chip into Mr. Scott's head years ago when I met him and can download this stuff with just a click of a button.

He don't know though and it may be slightly illegal, so don't tell him.

4 people like this

Posted · Report post

Johnny Rockets has changed my mind.

For that he gets a free foot rub.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Here are some in depth offensive NFL rankings to support your argument. Seems pretty efficient to me.

Avg starting field position - 6th (29.16 yard line)

% of drives that led to 1st down or TD - 5th

Offensive Yards Per Drive - 11th

Offensive Points per drive - 10th

Turnovers per Drive - 7th

Time of Possesion per drive - 2nd

That was my contribution for the day.....I'm exhausted now.

But none of those stats support the "our offense sucks because of Shula...and he should be fired" crowd. We will just ignore them and cherry pick the ones that do.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[attachment=8773:ImageUploadedByCarolinaHuddle1403281512.903973.jpg]

Sent from my iPhizzle while pooping using CarolinaHizzle
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Combine 3rd efficiency, scoring, 4th quarter rushing with a lead, drives for score vs drives with punt and you would have a decent offensive ranking system.

Posted · Report post

Shula has the same issue henning did. His offense is stuborn but usually effective.

The issues arose last season when he was outsmarted by the DC. He needs to be more fluid in design and playcalling.adapt on the fly.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Shula has the same issue henning did. His offense is stuborn but usually effective.

The issues arose last season when he was outsmarted by the DC. He needs to be more fluid in design and playcalling.adapt on the fly.

there were some beautiful play designs sprinkled in throughout the year, see the Deangelo run at SF.  I think our first down rushing for the most part put us behind the 8 ball but we did manage a lot of first downs.  I am one of the few who think Shula did a decent enough job, poor execution cost us more in my opinion.

Posted · Report post

there were some beautiful play designs sprinkled in throughout the year, see the Deangelo run at SF.  I think our first down rushing for the most part put us behind the 8 ball but we did manage a lot of first downs.  I am one of the few who think Shula did a decent enough job, poor execution cost us more in my opinion.

the problem was the long-winded routes/WR seperation (that is execution) but Shula did not do a good job at time to adapting to what the flow of the game was telling everybody.

other times he did a great job. No OC is perfect, but we wanna be the best so obviously there will be criticisms. For the most part Cam/Shula played within the talent of the offense. and for the most part it worked.

Posted · Report post

People look at the numbers last year and say wow they were awefull on offense. But if you look again and understand what we were doing you would see our Offense was very good at what we wanted to do. Could it have been better sure, but the downfall was not TDs, passing, or points it was Rushing the ball. Something Turner and Amini hopefully will help with.

Posted · Report post

People look at the numbers last year and say wow they were awefull on offense. But if you look again and understand what we were doing you would see our Offense was very good at what we wanted to do. Could it have been better sure, but the downfall was not TDs, passing, or points it was Rushing the ball. Something Turner and Amini hopefully will help with.

it wasnt pretty for the most part, and certainly not a large number of big plays that we were used to seeing since Cam has been here.  keep our defense rested, ball control and wear out the opposing teams defense seemed to be the game plan.  if you look at it like that, then our offense did pretty well.  i am starting to believe we are going to be far better off with our receivers, especially when you factor in Dickson and the possible emergence of B Willy or "Swole" as they call him.  we are still a run first team, so it pretty much will be predicated on how well we do there but the idea that Cam doesnt have any weapons is becoming much more of a farce. 

Posted · Report post

the problem was the long-winded routes/WR seperation (that is execution) but Shula did not do a good job at time to adapting to what the flow of the game was telling everybody.

other times he did a great job. No OC is perfect, but we wanna be the best so obviously there will be criticisms. For the most part Cam/Shula played within the talent of the offense. and for the most part it worked.

without going back and watching games, i think we started to make an adjustment for that as the season progressed.  Cam finally started going to his check downs a little better and didnt try to go for the home run as much.  Not having a coaches tape to see the entire field, I wouldnt necessarily say Shula designed some plays where all the routes were longer developers, but it sure seemed like it for a while.  I think Cam took 43 sacks last year which is way, way too many, especially when you factor in the other 20 sacks he escaped from where most QB's would have been done for.

1 person likes this

• Latest Articles

• Recent Comments