Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patriots Considering Lining up Brandon LaFell as TE in Hernandez Role

62 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

The Patriots don’t seem to have much at tight end behind Rob Gronkowski — Michael Hoomanawanui and undrafted rookies Justin Jones and Asa Watson — but watch out for LaFell playing the “Hernandez” role. “He played all of our wide receiver positions, plus he knew the tight end position,” his former coach, Ron Rivera, told me in March. LaFell was also a “want-to” blocker in Carolina, meaning he doesn’t mind getting physical in the run game. Patriots fans, meet your new Swiss Army Knife.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/06/19/takeaways-from-patriots-offseason-workouts/kSy3878nmMmCuZdgycF53O/story.html

Posted · Report post

What kind of Swiss Army Knife can't carry it's primary responsibility? ie: catching the ball

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle
5 people like this

Posted · Report post

He's gonna have like 900 yards and 8 TDs and this board will melt down.
7 people like this

Posted · Report post

he's always been a good crack back blocker close to the line

Posted · Report post

his blocking>catching.... but his weight  will get him pushed around. this must be a camp solution. if not, our d line would totally flatten him.

Posted · Report post

LaFell blocking Kraken or CJ? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

FUGGING. LOL.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I really don't care.

7 people like this

Posted · Report post

LEAVES FRIENDS AND TEAM THAT DRAFTED HIM AND GAVE HIM TONS OF OPPORTUNITIES TO BE A NUMBER ONE RECEIVER BECAUSE THE MONEY WASN'T RIGHT.

JOINS TEAM WITH WINDOW CLOSING TO BE A 4TH RECEIVER/THIRD STRING TIGHT END.

Posted · Report post

Because moving a guy to TE when he couldn't get separation from linebackers is a good idea...

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

LEAVES FRIENDS AND TEAM THAT DRAFTED HIM AND GAVE HIM TONS OF OPPORTUNITIES TO BE A NUMBER ONE RECEIVER BECAUSE THE MONEY WASN'T RIGHT.

JOINS TEAM WITH WINDOW CLOSING TO BE A 4TH RECEIVER/THIRD STRING TIGHT END.

Gettleman wasn't giving a 600 yard and 3-4 TD receiver a $9M contract with $3M guaranteed.  And that's what LaFell is.  He made a nice jump from his rookie to sophomore seasons, but he's had 3 consecutive years of those types of numbers.  That likely wasn't going to change in our system as he was given significant opportunity to do more.  When Smitty was out, the guy completely disappeared.

Posted · Report post

I hope they like ill timed drops and tips that end up INTs because then they'll really like Brandon LaFell up there in New England.

edit: damn auto-correct