107 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

You Paid A Dollar For This?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,523 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:51 PM

Jets quarterback Michael Vick knows he’s far from the only running quarterback in the NFL these days, but he wants to be remembered as the one who started the trend toward quarterbacks who can beat defenses with their legs as well as their arms.

“I was the guy who started it all,” Vick told ESPN.com. “I revolutionized the game. I changed the way it was played in the NFL.”

It’s not quite correct to say that Vick started it all: Although Vick is the NFL’s all-time leader in rushing yards for a quarterback (5,857) and yards per carry (7.1), there were other good running quarterbacks before Vick came along, including Bobby Douglass, Randall Cunningham, Steve McNair and Donovan McNabb. But whether he was the one who started it all or not, Vick has a lot to be proud of.

“The things I’ve done, I’ve pretty much surpassed myself and expectations — over 25,000 yards in total offense in the NFL, and I missed a lot of years and a lot of games,” he said. “That’s more the reason I have to keep it going.”

Fugging douche bag.

First NFL QB to be incarcerated for abusing dogs I'll give him

#2 Pox 08

Pox 08

Luck of the Fryrish

• HUDDLER
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:58 PM

Vick was a pure running qb.   The king of one read and then run.       

#3 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 5,045 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:03 AM

Well, he pretty much is the only run first QB who has achieved much success in the modern NFL. Ridiculous athlete with a cannon for an arm, just dumber than a rock and no accuracy. It's hard to remember a run first QB before him and the only one since him (The Golden Calf of Bristol) never developed enough passing ability to stick around.

Edited by LinvilleGorge, 21 June 2014 - 12:05 AM.

#4 thomas96

thomas96

DIZZY

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:06 AM

I have no problem with Vick now. He paid his dues and has stayed out of trouble and seemed to change. I respect that and him for it. Not a great QB, but so what.

#5 Rags

Rags

help

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationButtsville, NC

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:07 AM

you also started a very negative perception on Black QBs along with Jamarcus Russel and Vince Young

so thanks for that

#6 DamnItJake!

DamnItJake!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:18 AM

I would say he was the pure running QB besides Randall Cunningham in his prime as Vick would slice and dice Carolina..hated it! 

#7 Jangler

Jangler

a head full of candy corn

• HUDDLER
  • 47,629 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:20 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

And he managed to pass the ball most of the time...

Edited by Jangler, 21 June 2014 - 12:24 AM.

#8 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• ALL-PRO
  • 13,120 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:20 AM

Former Eagles fan here and my NFL fandom started when we drafted this guy from UNLV Randall Cunningham I was 10 years old he was the 1st scrambling/running/punter QB ever. so Vick can suck it.

#9 thomas96

thomas96

DIZZY

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:28 AM

Former Eagles fan here and my NFL fandom started when we drafted this guy from UNLV Randall Cunningham I was 10 years old he was the 1st scrambling/running/punter QB ever. so Vick can suck it.

Doesn't Cunningham have the record for longest punt or something random like that?

#10 Jangler

Jangler

• HUDDLER
  • 47,629 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:30 AM

is a run first QB something to be proud of? 

#11 PandaPancake

PandaPancake

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,559 posts
  • LocationGreeley, Co

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:36 AM

Running from the law?

There will be much debate on if he was the first running QB but we all know Cam perfected it. That's why every team's fans in the league would love to have him.

Sent from my XT1080 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#12 Pox 08

Pox 08

Luck of the Fryrish

• HUDDLER
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:40 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

mmqb coming out with a piece claiming that Luck started the whole running qb thing.

#13 Jangler

Jangler

• HUDDLER
  • 47,629 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:41 AM

yeah, Evevrybody thought Cam would be known as a running QB, but when the times comes it won't be the first thing brought up about him...oh it's not brought up first about Vick either. lol

Edited by Jangler, 21 June 2014 - 12:42 AM.

#14 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• ALL-PRO
  • 13,120 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:42 AM

Doesn't Cunningham have the record for longest punt or something random like that?

91 yard punt in one game still holds a record in the top 5

#15 Pejorative Miscreant

Pejorative Miscreant

Cold Ass Honky

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:46 AM

I think Randall Cunningham was a predecessor to Vick helped develop a new dynamic to the modern day QB which has become a bit more prevalent over the past few years.  A lot of the "top" NFL QBs are still pocket passers and dont have the running/scramble ability that you would think had the position been "revolutionized" by Vick.  (Manning, Brady, Brees, Flacco, Rothlesburger, Ryan, Rivers,)

I understand his sentiment to an extent but I think the self importance is a bit over done. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com