He's right.

#32 Pejorative Miscreant

Pejorative Miscreant

Cold Ass Honky

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

Those are the old guys who will be gone in 2-3 years. Look at all the young good qbs. What do they ALL have in common.

There are 3 or 4 QB's (Kap, Cam RG3 and Wilson) that are legitimate threats to break long runs. Luck Tannehill and Dalton can scramble and move but I don't think they are consistent threats to break long runs. Again, I do think it's an aspect of the game that has become more prevalent and a lot of it is because of Vick but this is evolution not revolution.

#33 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,829 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

Would have been interesting to see Vick in todays NFL with some good coaching. What a freak

#34 AggieLean.

AggieLean.

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,538 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN via Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

One of my favorite players, although he used to terrorize us. Wish he was able to stay healthy.

#35 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,448 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

you also started a very negative perception on Black QBs along with Jamarcus Russel and Vince Young

so thanks for that

That sounds less like "negative perception" and more like plain racism to me.

The comments by those opposed to drafting Cam Newton here and elsewhere in 2011 pretty much confirms that.

Of course this thread is going pretty much like any other Vick thread here has in the past.

Edited by TheRed, 21 June 2014 - 10:42 AM.

#36 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,140 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

I personally think think he turned it around as far as QBing when he went to Philly. Just got hurt too much.

#37 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,189 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

I personally think think he turned it around as far as QBing when he went to Philly. Just got hurt too much.

Not really.  he just did what guys like Kevin Kolb and A J Feeley had done before him, i.e. look better than he actually was thanks to Andy Reid's system.

As to his suggestion, running quarterbacks had been around for decades before anyone heard of Michael Vick.  Fran Tarkenton was probably the best runner of that era, though Roger Staubach being a better passer would make him more of a true dual threat.

If you want to talk about it being revitalized in more recent years, Randall Cunningham has the best claim there.  Though Steve McNair and Donovan McNabb were both better passers than Cunningham, especially McNair.  Of those three, Cunningham is probably the best runner, but the least talented passer.

Vick can't claim to be the best of the dual threat QBs either as his passing skills aren't up to snuff.  That title likely belongs to Steve Young, with McNair a close second.

Just Vick running his mouth again.

#38 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,140 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

I don't think Vick was trying to say he was the first running QB, I think we was trying to say that he was the guy that got this trend going where every other team has a fast QB now. Short term.

#39 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,189 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

I don't think Vick was trying to say he was the first running QB, I think we was trying to say that he was the guy that got this trend going where every other team has a fast QB now. Short term.

McNair and Cunningham would have the better claims on that front.

There's really only one quarterback I can think of that I'd compare stylistically to Vick though, and that's RG3.

Most of the other 'dual threat' guys you see today (and to be clear, Vick isn't really a dual threat) compare more closely to guys like Elway and Favre than they do Vick.  Heck, our own quarterback is a prime example of that.

#40 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,448 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

Um, I don't really see where Brett Favre even comes into this discussion with the current dual threat QB's. He only ran for 200 or more yards in a single season twice in 20 seasons (202, and 216). Not to mention he only had 14 total rushing touchdowns through those seasons.

Compare that to Cam Newton who already has 2,032 rushing yards, and 28 rushing touchdowns in 3 seasons.

Edited by TheRed, 21 June 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#41 beastson52

beastson52

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationEl Paso Tx

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

While Vick might not have been the first running QB,  I think he did change the way the position is played and evaluated. 

I mean the Panthers drafted dedicated one of their high draft picks just to get a player than can contain him. Thankfully he ended up being a pretty great palyer all around.

I don't see how stating facts is considered being a "douche"?  The man has paid his dues and seems to have turned his life around. I can digg that.

#42 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

There are 3 or 4 QB's (Kap, Cam RG3 and Wilson) that are legitimate threats to break long runs. Luck Tannehill and Dalton can scramble and move but I don't think they are consistent threats to break long runs. Again, I do think it's an aspect of the game that has become more prevalent and a lot of it is because of Vick but this is evolution not revolution.

Luck is a threat, he just doesn't have designed runs. But he can run it.

#43 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,651 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

While Vick might not have been the first running QB,  I think he did change the way the position is played and evaluated. 

I mean the Panthers drafted dedicated one of their high draft picks just to get a player than can contain him. Thankfully he ended up being a pretty great palyer all around.

I don't see how stating facts is considered being a "douche"?  The man has paid his dues and seems to have turned his life around. I can digg that.

How could he change the way it is played and evaluated when there have been many dual threat QBs before his time and still many during his time?

Edited by KillerKat, 21 June 2014 - 12:50 PM.

#44 Rags

Rags

help

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationButtsville, NC

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:01 PM

That sounds less like "negative perception" and more like plain racism to me.

The comments by those opposed to drafting Cam Newton here and elsewhere in 2011 pretty much confirms that.

Of course this thread is going pretty much like any other Vick thread here has in the past.

It is, but I can't help but feel like if those 3 QBs hadn't did what they had done it wouldn't have been *as* bad

Maybe because all of the "He's the next JaMrcus Russel" comments pre-draft

#45 BANE

BANE

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationCollege

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

How could he change the way it is played and evaluated when there have been many dual threat QBs before his time and still many during his time?

Because they weren't doing what Vick was doing. People bring up Young or Garcia? Are you f***ing kidding me? You cant compare the athleticism of those guys to Vick. Vick was on a FAR higher level in terms of pure athleticism.

Everyone in here is basically right, in one way or the other. Vick was absolutely not the first mobile QB, but NO one, I mean NO one before him did what he did in terms of running the football at that position. Vick was sometimes the fastest guy on the field, that never happened prior to him at the QB spot. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com