107 replies to this topic

#46 beastson52

beastson52

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationEl Paso Tx

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

How could he change the way it is played and evaluated when there have been many dual threat QBs before his time and still many during his time?

My reasoning is because his style of play and quickness dictate the type of players that are on the field(e.g. safeties position getting smaller and quicker). You don't defend a Vick offense the same way you defend a Peyton Manning offense. 

And yes your right , there have been many dual threat QB's before him. But I'm pretty sure that NONE of them were as athletic as is/was Vick. Just seems like todays Coordinators take these hybrid QB's seriously (Russel Wilson's SB ring helped) compared to the 80's/90's  when the likes of Steve Young and Randall Cunningham were doing it. 

I think people just forget just how scary explosive good he was when he came into the league. Change has to start some where and I really do think it started with Vick. 

Edited by beastson52, 21 June 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#47 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,822 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

It wouldn't be the offseason without a Michael Vick thread.  Cue the ASPCA and PETA, no matter the subject of the thread.

#48 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:06 PM

Because they weren't doing what Vick was doing. People bring up Young or Garcia? Are you f***ing kidding me? You cant compare the athleticism of those guys to Vick. Vick was on a FAR higher level in terms of pure athleticism.

Everyone in here is basically right, in one way or the other. Vick was absolutely not the first mobile QB, but NO one, I mean NO one before him did what he did in terms of running the football at that position. Vick was sometimes the fastest guy on the field, that never happened prior to him at the QB spot.

You should check the stats before you say no one did what he did with running the ball at the QB spot before.

To me, Cunningham is the best running and passing QB the NFL has seen. You should look up his stats from 1987 to 1992. Cam Newton will become the best if he continues to improve at the rate he is.

Why do you think Vick was more athletic? Cause he's black? Cause the media told you he is? Cause defenses plan for him?

Vick isn't the only QB that defenses have had to plan around. There have been many before him, there were many during him, and there are many after him. And once defenses figured him out, he wasn't that much of a threat and a turnover machine. So much for that athleticism.

Being fast also doesn't mean he was the most athletic. If you are a threat at passing and running the ball at the QB position, that is more athletic than a 1 trick pony. As far as passing, Vick only had 1 year where he was good at passing. After defenses figured him out, he was back to sucking at throwing the ball. Any other year, he couldn't even hold Jake Delhomme's jock as far as passing.

Edited by KillerKat, 21 June 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#49 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:13 PM

My reasoning is because his style of play and quickness dictate the type of players that are on the field(e.g. safeties position getting smaller and quicker). You don't defend a Vick offense the same way you defend a Peyton Manning offense. 

And yes your right , there have been many dual threat QB's before him. But I'm pretty sure that NONE of them were as athletic as is/was Vick. Just seems like todays Coordinators take these hybrid QB's seriously (Russel Wilson's SB ring helped) compared to the 80's/90's  when the likes of Steve Young and Randall Cunningham were doing it. 

I think people just forget just how scary explosive good he was when he came into the league. Change has to start some where and I really do think it started with Vick.

Defenses just about have to plan differently for all QBs. Different schemes, different skill sets. Vick wasn't all that special.

If you want to look at someone recently that paved the way for the current QBs in the NFL today, I would look at McNabb who went to 4 NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl.

2006 was the last time Vick was in his prime. I find it funny he takes credit for all these dual threat QBs coming into the league in 2011.

Edited by KillerKat, 21 June 2014 - 03:17 PM.

#50 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:23 PM

Also Vick is a RUNNING QB. Nothing more. The QBs he's talking about today are DUAL THREAT QBs. There have been many dual threat QBs before also. Vick as a pure running QB taking credit for the dual threat QBs of today is laughable. He's an apple taking credit for all the oranges sprouting up.

#51 HoFBound59

HoFBound59

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

He wasn't the first.,,,,but as much as I hated him on the Falcons, any reasonable fan has to admit Vick took the term "running qb" to the next level. There were other great scramblers/runners like Cunningham, Fran, Young, McNair, McNabb, but Vick was just on a different level when it came to taking off from the pocket.

#52 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

“I was the guy who started it all,” Vick told ESPN.com. “I revolutionized the game. I changed the way it was played in the NFL.”

What? Go take your pills Ron Mexico.

#53 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:51 PM

He wasn't the first.,,,,but as much as I hated him on the Falcons, any reasonable fan has to admit Vick took the term "running qb" to the next level. There were other great scramblers/runners like Cunningham, Fran, Young, McNair, McNabb, but Vick was just on a different level when it came to taking off from the pocket.

Id say thats closer to the truth than what Ron said. He was the fastest running QB ever, as far as I know. Thats about it.

#54 Panthers8969

Panthers8969

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:52 PM

Hey Vick, go fug yourself man

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Edited by Panthers8969, 21 June 2014 - 05:52 PM.

#55 Panthers8969

Panthers8969

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

He and everyone else can talk about how he's a better person an poo but I for one will not be forgiving him for heartlessly killing and harming dogs. Enjoy all your self given accolades now Vick, you'll be in hell soon enough

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

#56 Bogart

Bogart

Village Idiot

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

I'm not going to read the whole thread so I just leave this here....fug Michael Vick.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#57 Mojo

Mojo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

Let the guy live.  If he's learned from his mistakes give the guy a break.  

#58 Mojo

Mojo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:37 PM

Btw, he did revolutionize the game.  Short (for a QB), lightning fast, 24/7 highlight reel. He was like the NFL version of AI.  Hate it or love it.  

#59 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,261 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:52 PM

And he managed to pass the ball most of the time...

Fran Tarkenton was amazing...so were those highlights.  Plus, he is a quality person.

#60 micnificent28

micnificent28

• HUDDLER
  • 2,995 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

Vick was a pure running qb. The king of one read and then run.

So not true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.